Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Toplef10Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 I22gcj10Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Toplef10Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 I22gcj10Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW

+12
camprn
tegaan
Goosegirl
gwennifer
FarmerValerie
Nonna.PapaVino
happycamper
FamilyGardening
boffer
Dr.Bigfoot
Lavender Debs
Furbalsmom
16 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Empty June 7

Post  Lavender Debs 6/7/2011, 10:15 am

Good morning PNW'ers! I'm seeing the same change that Rose saw, even my tomatoes that are out in the open air have turned green with the last three days of upper 70's weather. Today is a very different story. Low pressure over Vancouver BC and High pressure off the coast of N.Cali and S.Oregon have brought in the winds and heavy clouds of a classic "Marine Flow" It smells so good but once again I am slipping into a sweater before going out to the garden.
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 June_710
Something new in the tomato tent, and it does not produce fruit. Ray has installed a Rainbird watering system. The tomato tent is the only box that is hooked up as of today. It sure makes watering the tom'etts easier!
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 June_711
Way Kewl!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Empty Re: Tomato Tuesday for the PNW

Post  FamilyGardening 6/7/2011, 12:11 pm

Yesterday we moved our babies from their nice warm home up next to the house.....out to the garden.....now this morning..... im in a bit of a panic....the weather has cooled down, grey clouds, wind and some drizzle... Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 950477

hugs
rose
one of my babies from seeds.....
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_07_13

this is the rainbow from the school plant sale Very Happy
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_07_12

here are my two babies & the rainbow from school & a store bought replacement from having to pull up my other two....
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_07_18

here are the three brothers from seeds out next to the garden
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_07_15

here is the other replacement from the store
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_07_16

last but not least my two ground cherries from our school plant sale...they are looking so much better with a little bit of sun, fish em and a pritz of calcium Very Happy
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_07_17
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/7/2011, 12:42 pm

Deb your tomato's are really growing! they look great and I love the set up you have with the watering......let us know how it works out Very Happy right now i have been watering every thing by hand Shocked my body hurts in more places then i have felt in years......LOL

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/7/2011, 3:58 pm

Rose, your tomatoes look good.

Deb that little bit of protection is doing great things for your tomatoes.

I am finally getting mine in 5 gallon buckets, but due to personal issues only got a few done so far.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/7/2011, 9:47 pm

Finally, something to report: 5 teeny, tiny new tomatoes on 3 plants. Will try to get pictures and figure out how to post them here. Both ground cherries and garden huckleberries leaped up a couple of inches during the four days of warm weather in Oregon, with us at the Coast and not watching them.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/7/2011, 10:12 pm

oh i would love to see pic's of your ground cherries......it would be great to have something to compare with.....mine are still small....they are growing though and have turned more green now then the bright yellow they were Very Happy how neat it is that you have some baby wee little tomato's Very Happy

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Empty Tomato Tuesday PNW June 14 Week 24

Post  Furbalsmom 6/14/2011, 2:53 pm

Hello there my little chickadees. How is everyone doing this cool, damp (no rain though) cloudy day?

Finally have some of my tomatoes potted up in 5 gallon buckets and sitting in my old garden area that is covered with black plastic mulch. The idea is that the black mulch and the black pots will absorb more heat and help the tomatoes grow. We will see
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 A_work10
I know, it is a mess, but still a work in progress. Once all the plants are located within the deer netting, the buckets will be arranged, trellises built and strings set up.

Here is my poor ground cherry, which even in it's pitiful shape is trying to produce little ground cherries (sometimes called husk tomatoes)Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Ground10
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Ground11
Grafted Brandywine still needs that bottom yuckly leaf trimmed.Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Grafte11
Grafted Japanes Black TrifeleTomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Grafte12
At least all of the tomatoes are outside and hardened off, even though there are a few more that need to be transplanted. Have you ever tried to accumulate 28 - 5 gallon buckets? It is taking longer than I had imagined. Still need 8 more. (Don't want to buy them cause I am cheap Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 811519 )

So how are your tomatoes doing this Tuesday?
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/14/2011, 10:15 pm

I'm so excited, several tomato plants of various types have set tomatoes--at least 14 little guys, the largest being an oblong 1-1/2 inches (tomato Black Sea Man) and a second potato leaf tomato (probably another Black Sea Man) sports 4 new green globes. The one Early Girl has two over-one-inch tomatoes, and three or four tiny ones. Once again, I'm trying the Wall O' Water season extenders, but don't see that much difference between those with the WOW jackets and siblings without them, though the ones with the WOWs are taller and appear more vigorous. Furbalsmom, your ground cherries are way ahead of mine. Ours are about 7-8 inches tall, but no flowers yet. Same with the garden huckleberries. This is the first year ever when I've had tomatoes set at the same time as the iris come into bloom. Perhaps this old dog has learned a new trick or two--SFG. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/15/2011, 2:20 am

I forgot it was tomato tuesday.....so off i was tonight at 11pm to take pics in the dark.....LOL....my hubby thinks im more nuts now then ever.....i told him....*hey at least now i can belong to a garden club in my robe and never have to leave the house!* Laughing

here are my two ground cherry tomato's from the school plant sale

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_14_10

the first two are my babies from seed and the third one is the rainbow from the school plant sale

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_14_11

here are my three brothers from seed....
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_14_12

here is the rainbow from the school plant sale and he has a few green babies Very Happy
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_14_13

here is one of the store bought replacements
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_14_14

next year im only going to grow tomato's from seed.....my own tomato plants are doing so much better then any of the store bought ones.....my babies stem's are much thicker then the store bought ones are....i really think its because as they grew from seed i would plant them deeper and deeper as i would transplant them into a bigger container......i did this several times as they were growing.....im really hoping they have a great root system, stay healthy and will produce much better then what i have ever gotten from a store bought plant Very Happy

hugs
rose....who gardens in her bath robe Shocked
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 6/15/2011, 3:01 am

Tomatoes are doing well despite the cloudy weather and only a sprinkle of rain the past ten days. There are several blossoms and only time will tell if they set fruit or drop off.
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 June_112

It is still early in the growing season and I am looking forward to tomatoes. I am hoping we will break out of the 60's and get some 70 degree days soon!
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/15/2011, 4:56 am

Rose, your ground cherries are much sturdier than mine.

In fact most of your tomato plants are sturdier and fuller than mine.

Oh, well. Give them time.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/15/2011, 4:58 am

Happy Camper, you changed your avatar and I did not recognize you!

Your tomato is looking like a brute ready to take on the world. Nice healthy plant.

Agreed, if the weather would really break, all our tomatoes would just soar!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 6/15/2011, 10:06 am

I was sick as a dog yesterday and missed Tom T. I took a quick look while letting the nuggets out but came back in and passed out, so I'll probably post the pics I planned in the toy box thread. I did see two little baby tomatoes on the Siltz plants (in the bucket row).

Deborah...talking herself into feeling better but the mess the guys left while bach'ing it isn't helping.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/15/2011, 12:01 pm

Feel better soon!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Empty June 21

Post  Lavender Debs 6/21/2011, 11:12 am

For the rest of the tomato growing world today is the first day of summer. Here in the PNW we are still calling it Spring. We have a good two to four weeks before it is safe to announce that summer has arrived.
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Img_0010
I do not remember the date, but the last time I put a picture up, the top of this Momotaro was at 14 inches. Depending on if I count the curve of the main stem or not it is somewhere between 20 and 24 inches today.

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 June_210
Purple leaves: This Siltz no longer has purple leaves but it did have that for quite a few days in early June. For the most part everything has turned a pretty shade of green with the warmer weather but the first fruit absolutely had BER. The cherry tomatoes of Oregon Cherry and Gold Nugget are the only fruit I have to compare. Neither has BER on the early fruit, neither had purple leaves from the cold. I don't know if cherry tomatoes are a fair comparison to standard tomatoes when it comes to BER. There are about three other small green Siltz, none of which are showing obvious signs of BER.

Tomato of the Week: Legend. Determinate, OP, 68 days
From the TSC catalogue.....
If late blight has been a problem in your garden you should try growing Legend. Legend has shown strong tolerance of late blight fungi US8 and US11. So even in the most virulent areas, gardeners have a great chance of harvesting ripe tomatoes. Legend not only demonstrates tolerance of late blight, but is also the earliest maturing slicing tomato we know of. Legend produces amazingly sweet tomatoes with just the right amount of acid flavor. The big, 4-5 inch, parthenocarpic fruit are glossy red, with a uniform round shape. Please keep in mind that being tolerant of blight is just that: tolerant-not immune. Bred and released by Dr. Jim Baggett at Oregon State University.
My sister-in-law put in a cute little tomato garden. (she lives in Snohomish, WA and like the town she lives in EVERYTHING is cute) I do not know if she started her tomatoes from seed or bought the plants but her pretty tomatoes were cut down by blight a few years ago. It has not yet come to my house so resistance is not why I chose Legend. I have had happy results with my parthenocarpic Siltz that I thought I would try another. Legend sounds like it will reach a good size fairly early (earlier than Siltz apparently but so far Siltz is ahead of Legend with actual baby tomatoes rather than just big blossoms).
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Img_0011
The plant in the cage and the one to the left of it are both Legend. Neither of these have been under any kind of protection from the cold spring. Legend has stayed green from the day it was planted out.
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Img_0012
Legend's promises.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Empty Week 25 June 21 Tomato Tuesday in the PNW

Post  Furbalsmom 6/21/2011, 1:53 pm

Some limited progress, there is one tomato on the Stupice, but almost all of the tomato plants have blossoms. Hope that is good news for those long days to harvest varieties. Even the Brandywine has one open blossom.

One baby tomato on my Stupice
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Stupic10

Blossoms on the Japanese Black Trifele
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Japane12

Black Prince Blossoms
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Black_10

Tell us about your tomatoes in the PNW
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 6/21/2011, 2:09 pm

Keep that Black Prince and the Brandiwine as warm as possible FBmom. I had both last year. Loads of green tomatoes on black prince, nothing on brandiwine. BUT it was a REALLY bad tomato year last year. Looking for more sun and hotter nights this year....so that you can tell me how good Black Prince is and make me wish I had tried it again! You grow girl!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/21/2011, 6:24 pm

Brandywine and Black Japanese Trifele are the two varieties that I am trying as grafted plants. I purchased transplants as well as started seeds indoors for both of these varieties.

Not going to be a very scientific test to compare the three origins, but will be interesting to see if the grafted tomatoes were worth their $6.95 @ price tag, plus shipping. They were in 2 1/2 inch pots, pretty small, I tell ya.

I also purchased transplants of Black Prince, Gold Medal and Stupice.

Next week I hope to have my trellis/string up, and at least a partial cover over my tomatoes to help keep them a bit warmer. Of course, I had hoped to have that done last week.

Too many things I want to do, too little time
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/21/2011, 9:25 pm

I know, it's no longer Tuesday, but wanted to share a disaster. Last week, I was feeling pretty smug because the Early Girl tomato had two 1-1/2 inch tomatoes. Having been gone all weekend, I was dumbfounded to find the two largest tomato sets were rotting! This is one of the tomatoes surrounded with a Wall O'Water season extender, so I pulled the WOW up off the plant and checked for more disease. Doesn't seem to be any, but I decided better air flow would help ward off more rot amongst the setting fruits. Now the tomato plant carrying the biggest tomatoes is Black Sea Man, a Russian variety. Tomato Julia Child is as tall as I am and with lots of blossoms, but only one blossom has set. Slava, another Russian, also has several sets and appears to do well in this climate. Will have to wait a month or so to see which variety is most generous with fruit and taste. Will keep y'all informed.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/21/2011, 10:28 pm

Nonna, it is still Tuesday, Shocked did you just wake up from a nap and get confused? Laughing
How frustrating to lose two early girl tomatoes when they were already that big. Evil or Very Mad
Here is wishing all of the PNW a warm and sunny summer. I know we are all dreaming of tomatoes.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/22/2011, 1:25 am

here is an update on my babies Very Happy

Do you think these four tomato plants are to close together?

the first one that is in the ground is my store bought that is not doing so well....then the next two are my two babies and the last one on the right is the rainbow from our school plant sale....they are out in my three sisters garden
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_21_10

here is the school rainbow up close with four or five tomato's Very Happy
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_21_11
here is one of my home grown babies.....i took his pic next to a pencil to compare how thick his stem is Shocked he has some small little flowers on top still closed.....
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_21_12
here are my baby three brothers in one pot Very Happy
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_21_13
here is my ground cherry tomato's
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_21_14
and they have some small little flowers Very Happy
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_21_15
the last two are in the same pot, i havent transplanted them yet....cause im not sure where to plant them....these two are from seed as well....i just didnt plan on all my seedlings to do so well.... Shocked
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_21_16
my 2nd store bought replacement in the SFG...seems to be doing good
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 06_21_17
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/22/2011, 5:00 pm

FB-Mom, You are right, my mini-vacation caught up with me. After a weekend at Seabrook, WA, with Son, D-I-L and Grandkids, I came home so relaxed I lost track of time. Wondering if I could have saved the little tomatoes had I stayed at home, or if they were just doomed. There are other tomato babies on other plants NOT in Wall O'Water jackets. Hence my idea that lack of air circulation and over-average humidity caused the rot.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/22/2011, 5:43 pm

Nonna, the only other thing I can think of, was it Blossom End Rot? It was so cool here for so long, the poor tomatoes might not have been able to take up all the nutrients they needed.

I know it is rough losing those Early Girls, but as long as the next tier of tomatoes do ok, all is well.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/22/2011, 10:14 pm

In answer to your question, FB-Mom: Nope, wasn't classic BER, but the whole berry turned soft and whitish. One dropped off, the other kept fastened so I could get a good look at it, definitely rotted through. On another note, a couple of fine, until now overlooked, Black Sea Man tomatoes are set, large and beautiful. Once again, I'm hopeful. Just hope the variety (unknown to us before this year) is as tasty as touted on the seed package: "excellent, full-bodied, comples, intense, creamy tomato flavors." However, the plant may be mislabeled, and not Black Sea Man at all. Whatever, it's got tomatoes!
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/28/2011, 9:36 am

I haven't posted in this thread yet, because tomatoes can be such a depressing topic at my house. I don't care to grow the short season, cool tolerant tomatoes, so I only get mature tomatoes to eat every few years when we have a warmer than average summer. Obviously, this probably won't be one of those years.

But, I'm trying. I have fruit on Black Krims and Old Germans; nothing on the Brandywines. This guy is just hanging over the side of a table top.
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Dscn0610

How often have we heard newbies say that we can't grow a tomato in six inches of MM, or that we can't grow one per square, four squares in a row? Well...this ought to get 'em going: 4 per square! It certainly wasn't my intent in March to do this, but I stuck 4 transplants from the nursery that needed up-potted, in a square as a holding place till the weather got nicer. They thrived in the heated soil, but it took forever for our weather to reach borderline OK to plant toms outside. By that time, they were too big to move because their roots would be a tangled mess, and the transplant shock would have set them too far behind this year. Oh well, I might even break down and give this square supplements! affraid

When I finally took the plastic off the hoop house, it was such a jungle that I had to do some serious ATM pruning. All the plants are nekkid the first 12-15 inches up the stalk.
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Dscn0612

My original plan was to plant 4 toms on the north side of the box, and train them up and across on the hoops. That is working well; you can see the two middle hoops have plants on them. But the four plants in the middle row gave me trouble. So the hoops are now also the 'vertical' supports of a Florida weave trellis. Will it work? Nonna said it best: the three important things about growing tomatoes are the weather, the weather, and the weather.
Tomato Tuesday for the PNW - Page 2 Dscn0611
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next