Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Toplef10Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 I22gcj10Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Toplef10Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 I22gcj10Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest)..

+36
tkdtara84
JustMe
HouseofWool
FarmerValerie
MarcyG
shocks20
Squat_Johnson
Kelejan
stripesmom
ChicagoLaura
Denese
mijejo
herblover
Hyzleyes
unmadecastle
westie42
HieronRemade
jymarino
CindiLou
Suzy
Furbalsmom
ErinL
laurainwinona
Aub
MasonGarden
busygirl
pattipan
WolfHeart
randomsideizzie
Goosegirl
nancy
Amy T
boog1
Smartchick
Blackrose
BackyardBirdGardner
40 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Empty Re: Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest)..

Post  busygirl 6/15/2011, 10:31 am

HieronRemade wrote:
busygirl wrote: The bags are to prevent cross pollination so I can save seeds
Are those special bags specifically for covering up blooms busygirl? My Romas are blooming so much earlier than everything else that I don't think I'll have to cover them, but I have other heirloom varieties that I'm going to want to try saving, and though I've heard of covering the blossoms, I don't know what you use to do it!

I made them out of a cut up row cover. I had never used a row cover in the garden before making these, but upon opening the package, it was suspiciously like the very lightest sew-in interfacing available at fabric stores (cheaper and you can buy only what you need). They are sewn on three sides and have a casing tube for a drawstring. I used leftover ribbon as the drawstrings. The gathered fabric as you tighten the drawstring cushions the stem and prevents the ribbon from cutting into it while sealing the cluster off from intruders.

After fruit sets on these clusters, I will isolate clusters from another plant of the same variety with the same bag, but I only use a particular bag for one type of tomato in case there is any pollen inside the bag.

If I ever use up the rest of the row cover I bought, I will probably switch to the interfacing for bags.

If you are interested in seed saving, my go to reference is Seed to Seed by Suzanne Ashworth.
busygirl
busygirl

Female Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Empty Re: Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest)..

Post  HieronRemade 6/15/2011, 10:48 am

Hey thanks for the info, I really appreciate it! I would never have thought of the interfacing stuff you're talking about so that's good to know; I'll definitely check that out.
HieronRemade
HieronRemade

Male Posts : 139

https://www.youtube.com/user/HieronRemade

Back to top Go down

Post  jymarino 6/16/2011, 10:36 am

These are the toms I have growing, and can recall the names of w/o going back outside.
Sweet 100
Pink Girl
Heirloom roma

and three others I can't recall the names of.

All have good blooms, the sweet 100 has tons of green fruit, and a couple others have a few fruit. I just added some crushed tums to most of them to prevent BER since the Zucchini next to them is having a problem. I am hopeful that we'll have a bumper crop of toms and are able to save some for the winter.
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/16/2011, 2:45 pm

I just dug in some powdered goat's milk and epsom salts around all my new transplants from 'volunteers'. I messed with their roots pretty good while digging and transplanting them and that can throw their little systems into shock for a while. By the time they are feeling better the calcium and magnesium should be useable by them. Only time will tell - I am doing a pretty good job ob beating up my seedlings this year! Shocked

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/16/2011, 8:08 pm

I never seem to quite make it to posting on Tuesday.............but my tomatoes are growing! All 3 have blooms and I see the first little fruit on the 'Black Prince'!
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  HieronRemade 6/16/2011, 10:24 pm

herblover wrote:I never seem to quite make it to posting on Tuesday.............but my tomatoes are growing! All 3 have blooms and I see the first little fruit on the 'Black Prince'!

Grats herblover! All my Romas have two sets of blooms but none have started fruit yet; I'm going nuts to see that first flower fall off to reveal a little tomato. Razz
HieronRemade
HieronRemade

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 6/17/2011, 2:08 am

How far away from each other does tomato plants need to be to not worry about cross pollination without the bags? I have brandywine and purple cherokee that i would love to save the seeds from but didn't think about cross pollination. Not blooming yet so I COULD cover.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  HieronRemade 6/17/2011, 9:24 am

HERE'S a pretty good article about tomato pollination that I think you might find informative...they say that you should have different varieties at least 20-25 ft. away from each other, with a pollen producing plant in between.

On the other hand, I've also read somewhere that tomatoes are all self-pollinating, and that the chance of cross pollination is slim...I'm not going to bet on that though!
HieronRemade
HieronRemade

Back to top Go down

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Empty Interfacing used as rowcover

Post  mijejo 6/18/2011, 12:20 pm

@busygirl:
Does the interfacing allow water (rain) to penetrate as well as sunlight, or do you have to lift the cover to water?
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  busygirl 6/21/2011, 5:42 pm

mijejo wrote:@busygirl:
Does the interfacing allow water (rain) to penetrate as well as sunlight, or do you have to lift the cover to water?

I do not take the bags off. I only have the flower cluster covered, so watering isn't an issue. Plenty of air circulates through the bag, but I do shake the dew off in the morning before I go to work so that the wet cloth isn't clinging to the leaves inside. I have never had the leaves burn from the wet cloth, but I think it could happen.

Last edited by busygirl on 6/21/2011, 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
busygirl
busygirl

Back to top Go down

Post  busygirl 6/21/2011, 5:56 pm

Whoo hoo!!! Here they come!! Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 418730

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Img_0032

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Img_0033

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Img_0034

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Img_0035

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Img_0036

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Img_0037

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Img_0038

Yesterday was rainy with a high of 75, today's high was 93. Some of my plants almost steamed themselves from the change in temp and the saturated soil, but mostly they are loving the heat today. Especially the tomatoes and peppers!!
busygirl
busygirl

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 6/21/2011, 6:09 pm

Here's my update for this week:

Hard to see from this angle, but in front from left to right: Cherokee Purple, Celebrity, San Marzano, and Beefsteak.
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 06_21_25

I also have a Yellow Pear and a Cherry tomato (donated to the cause by Glendale-Gardner) in this same box, but you can't see them in this photo. They are the only tomato plants that don't have blossoms yet, but I know they're coming!

The Totem tomato plant that I added to my watermelon box last weekend is starting produce my first tomato babies! cheers
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 06_21_27
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/21/2011, 7:47 pm

Well, I had planned to have pics for this week, but since we are in a Flash Flood Watch and the rain has not stopped since midnight, and is expected to continue until tomorrow night, I have not gotten out to get pics!

All but 2 of my seedlings are volunteers from last year. I plan on bagging a branch off each plant so that if I like what I ended up with I have seeds to try again next year. The last bunch of seedlings that I found were in an area that can only be a rogue Roma that I have grown from volunteers for the last 3 years, or a Goose Creek with questionable cross-pollination. If it ends up a round shape and bigger than a Roma, I may have a new Goose Creek cross. If it is, I will have to call it a Goose Girl!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/21/2011, 8:36 pm

Looks like we are all on the same track. I, too, took the picture approach focusing solely on the setting fruits!

Onward and Upward(fruit in lower right corner)
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 5858620826_6ac40141bd

Cherry
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 5858064323_5b18bb25d5

Grape
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 5858065855_e9cbf79428

Beefsteak
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 5858614908_94e2e4a84c

Well, and a sunflower, too! I probably have a dozen of them opening now.
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 5858622222_4a3ebb4b4f

See you next week!!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 6/21/2011, 10:01 pm

My little tomatoes are growing. These are Patio tomatoes.

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 06210111

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 06210112

And a baby zucchini!!

Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Dscn3725
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  HieronRemade 6/21/2011, 11:12 pm

Wow looks like setting fruit is the theme this week! I guess I shouldn't disappoint. Razz

Most of my Roma's are setting:Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 IMG_2058

A lot of my other varieties are smaller and just now starting to flower...I was surprised at how different some of the blossoms are compared to those on the Romas!

I do have a question - I know I've seen on here how curling leaves indicates a nutrition deficiency in the plants, but if that's happening will it be in all the leaves on the plant? On the majority of my plants, the bottoms sets of leaves are getting curled and ugly, and I'm not sure if that's a normal part of life for a tomato plant, or if it's a problem. Here are some examples: Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 IMG_2066-1Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 IMG_2063-1Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 IMG_2064-1

As you can see (hopefully), most of the plant is fine - it only seems to be the bottom branches that are having the problem. Last year I had a traditional garden, planted the tomatoes pretty close together, and didn't really stake them, so if this happened I probably just couldn't see it, but I'm just not sure. If anyone who has more experience could elucidate this I'd really appreciate it!
HieronRemade
HieronRemade

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/21/2011, 11:18 pm

I've never had a problem with curling leaves...until this year. Most of mine are just the bottoms of the plants like yours. I'm not worried at all. I threw a little Epsom Salts around the bases in case it's an issue absorbing nutrients. But, Epsom Salts can also be used to make the fruits taste sweeter from what I've read (which is why I bought the salts in the first place several years ago).

However, I have one plant that is curling on every leaf and hasn't grown. I discovered today that I accidentally thought the growing tip was a sucker and snipped it more than once. I likely sent the plant into shock. It's starting to recover....because I ignored it.

Most times we overmanage our gardens. SFG is NO exception because the concept is such low maintanence by it's very nature. My suggestion would be to simply let time run it's course for a week or two. If the plant seems to keep growing, ignore the curling. If the other leaves curl up, take another picture and we'll all discuss it. For now, though, just keep an eye on it.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyzleyes 6/22/2011, 6:29 pm

I'm seeing pretty decent fruit on my well established tomato plants (2 Early Girls, 2 Better Boys and a Super sweet 100).

Having trouble posting pics right now, but I'll try again in a bit.

Supersweet 100:

Early Girl:

Better Boy:

Last week I also planted 3 Lemon Boy, a Kentucky Beefsteak, a Roman Candle and a Yellow Pear. There was already a tomato starting on the Yellow Pear, but the new plants were all pretty yellow and stragly looking. There are blossoms on all of them now, but they're still a little rough looking. Hoping they cheer up soon!
Hyzleyes

Back to top Go down

Post  HieronRemade 6/22/2011, 8:16 pm

Hey Hyzleyes - Idk if it's just me or if something's wrong on your end, but your pics aren't showing up. Sad
HieronRemade
HieronRemade

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyzleyes 6/22/2011, 8:58 pm

HieronRemade wrote:Hey Hyzleyes - Idk if it's just me or if something's wrong on your end, but your pics aren't showing up. Sad

Hmmm... I haven't been able to post them yet. And now I don't even have an edit button on my post. Not sure what's going on. I tried restarting my netbook in case that was the issue, but it doesn't look like it's done anything for the better. For lack of any other ideas, maybe I'll try it again.
Hyzleyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyzleyes 6/22/2011, 9:48 pm

Ahhhhh! I think I figured it out. The photos I was trying to post were in RAW format. Apparently that doesn't work. I saved them in jpeg so here goes.

Super-sweet 100:
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Img_9610

Early Girl:
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Img_9611

Better Boy:
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Img_9612

I need to get some better pics of the smaller, new plants. You might see them in the foreground a little bit, but the back row are the more established plants.
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Img_9613

Also not pictured, I have four rooted suckers in pots and one more on the window sil growing bigger roots. Some of them have blossoms on them. Any chance they'll grow enough to have some fruit yet this season?
Hyzleyes

Back to top Go down

Post  HieronRemade 6/22/2011, 9:50 pm

Oh good I'm glad you figured it out. Your tomatoes look great! As far as your suckers, I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure you should cut any blossoms until it's well established in-ground.
HieronRemade
HieronRemade

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyzleyes 6/23/2011, 7:00 am

HieronRemade wrote:As far as your suckers, I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure you should cut any blossoms until it's well established in-ground.

Thanks! I guess that makes sense. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with them since I have my squares pretty crowded as it is. I could find bigger pots to put them in, but I don't have any extra MM. DH is in the middle of putting in a new patio and won't hear any discussion of new boxes. I'd really like 4 more, but had agreed to wait on those until next year. And I hate to collect all of the composts, etc just for a few pots. I really wish I had just made up some extra in the first place.
Hyzleyes

Back to top Go down

Post  unmadecastle 6/23/2011, 3:28 pm

Well I know it is not Tuesday BUT... It has finally stopped raining here and the sun is shining! Very Happy

I have been outside in my garden today taking pictures, removing suckers from tomatoes and looking for other new things.

This is my Sweet Cherry 100. There are 7 little guys here.
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Dscf0812

My tomatoes are all getting taller. This one is a Better Boy!
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Dscf0813

I have one tomato in a bucket and I put a tomato cage on him today! (I don't have a a picture of him though).
unmadecastle
unmadecastle

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/24/2011, 6:11 am

unmadecastle wrote:Well I know it is not Tuesday BUT... It has finally stopped raining here and the sun is shining! Very Happy

I have been outside in my garden today taking pictures, removing suckers from tomatoes and looking for other new things.

This is my Sweet Cherry 100. There are 7 little guys here.
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Dscf0812

My tomatoes are all getting taller. This one is a Better Boy!
Tomato Tuesday Thread (N&C Midwest).. - Page 4 Dscf0813

I have one tomato in a bucket and I put a tomato cage on him today! (I don't have a a picture of him though).

I have Tomato Envy, Unmade! Your baby toms look great! cheers I am still a few weeks away from having blossoms and babies. But my seedlings all look healthy and happy after the long heavy watering they have had lately (can you hear the sarcasm there?) and with the heat of yesterday (and hopefully today) they will shoot up another several inches!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next