Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need help please!  Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos? Toplef10Need help please!  Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need help please!  Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos? I22gcj10Need help please!  Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need help please!  Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos? Toplef10Need help please!  Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need help please!  Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos? I22gcj10Need help please!  Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Need help please! Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos?

3 posters

Go down

Need help please!  Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos? Empty Need help please! Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos?

Post  jymarino 5/8/2011, 2:18 pm

According to the book I can put tomatos in my SFG, but I don't have room for any more. I was thinking of using rubbermaid type boxes but am not sure what size they need to be. Somewhere I read that they should be at least 5 gal and 10 gal would be better. Do I have to fill the whole thing with soil mix? That could end up being even more expensive than doing my 3 boxes. I have read that toms need a lot of room for root growth, so I am confused on how they will even work well for SFG. Help please!!

Jennie
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Need help please!  Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos? Empty Re: Need help please! Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos?

Post  camprn 5/8/2011, 2:23 pm

I grew fine tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets a few years ago; the buckets were 4/5th full of soil with some drain holes in the bottom of the bucket. It worked great! Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Need help please!  Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos? Empty Re: Need help please! Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos?

Post  quiltbea 5/8/2011, 3:06 pm

I've grown indeterminate cherry tomatoes in 10" pots last year and staked them and they did well.
If you have any determinate tomatoes, the ones that only grow 2 1/2 to 3' tall, they will do well in 10" pots. The cheap tomato cages work well for those in pots. You can get them at dollar stores or Family Dollar for around $2 or $3 each.
Need help please!  Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos? 06-19-12
Here's a White Cherry staked in a 10" pot early in the season. The stake held up thru the whole season.
I used garden soil and organic potting soil, about half and half in my pots.

This year I plan to try determinates in 12" pots caged and hope for the best. I have an overload of tomato seedlings started and some I've never tried before so I have to experiment and find out what toms I love best.
The cheap cages did well for my Oregon Spring determinates last year.
Need help please!  Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos? 06-12-12
Here they are in my raised beds last year. These determinates did well all summer thru fall.

So try potting them. You have nothing to lose and if they grow to harvest, you'll have lots more tomatoes.
Good luck.

quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/8/2011, 3:30 pm

I went hunting for the pic of the concrete reinforcing wire cage.
These are really sturdy but I only made up 4 and they are used for my cucumbers. Really strong. Form into a circle and wire them closed.

Need help please!  Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos? 06-07-12
My prefererence is twining which you can see in the same picture. My tomatoes are twisted gently around a piece of twine attached to the pole at the top I have wired from fence post to fence post and a wire strung from the bottom of the same poles.

I just thought I'd toss in a couple of other methods that might work for you.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  jymarino 5/8/2011, 4:36 pm

So how shallow can my containers be? Can I use a container that would be only about 7" high? Or can I use a container that is much taller and just fill it half way with soil? Should there be sand or rock in the bottom in addition to the soil? I am planning on using a soil that does drain well but not necessarily MM. The containers will be in a place where they get full sun all day long. I am thinking that if they were not all the way up to the top of the box they would quickly grow up to that point.
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/8/2011, 9:27 pm

Need help please!  Best way to plant indeterminate tomatos? 06-08-10
Jymarino, this pot measures 9" deep top to bottom and 10" across and I filled it to about an inch of the top with garden soil and organic potting soil. This White (actually yellow in color) Cherry tomato had a home here all season staked and did well for me. I fed it compost tea during the season and kept moving it to a sunny spot since my part of the yard is nowhere near the raised beds behind the house and is mostly shady until late afternoon.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down