Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting by the light and dark of the moon. Toplef10Planting by the light and dark of the moon. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting by the light and dark of the moon. I22gcj10Planting by the light and dark of the moon. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting by the light and dark of the moon. Toplef10Planting by the light and dark of the moon. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting by the light and dark of the moon. I22gcj10Planting by the light and dark of the moon. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 7:16 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Planting by the light and dark of the moon.

4 posters

Go down

Planting by the light and dark of the moon. Empty Planting by the light and dark of the moon.

Post  Bayou Life 4/22/2011, 1:10 pm

I'm just curious as to how many of you still plant according to the light and dark of moon.

I've always used it to plan ahead of time, and then used the almanac to pinpoint the best planting days during the phases when the season came closer.
Bayou Life
Bayou Life

Male Posts : 47

Back to top Go down

Planting by the light and dark of the moon. Empty Re: Planting by the light and dark of the moon.

Post  FarmerValerie 4/22/2011, 2:00 pm

I do, helps me plan my week, plant day, tend day, wash day, kill weed day, watch Gone With The Wind day-oh wait that's today. Seriously though, it does take the stress off of me to plan my week and line out the 14yo son's chore list.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Planting by the light and dark of the moon. Empty Re: Planting by the light and dark of the moon.

Post  shannon1 4/23/2011, 12:29 am

I was taught that crops that fruit above ground like toms.,squash, beans ect do better if you plant the seeds during the waxing moon(when the moon is getting bigger) and root crops do better when planted during the waning (moon getting smaller). I have been putting it to the test since I wanted to stagger my bush bean plantings any way I will let you know how it works out.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 4/23/2011, 7:08 am

Ive just started planting by the moon phases this season Smile Some of my plants were done by the almanac dates and some were not. I have dates typed in my one note to remember. I do like how it enables me to plan ahead like FV says. I can see ahead to what needs to be done when, down to pruning, transplants and fertilizing Smile or feeding.

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/23/2011, 8:28 am

It really does make planning ahead simple doesn't it. I'm a list person, I like things written down, and I get great satisfaction from crossing them off. That way too, if I forget to write something down when it was planted, I can look back at my calendar, and see when plant days were, and narrow it down to a day or two.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 4/23/2011, 8:40 am

FarmerValerie wrote:It really does make planning ahead simple doesn't it. I'm a list person, I like things written down, and I get great satisfaction from crossing them off. That way too, if I forget to write something down when it was planted, I can look back at my calendar, and see when plant days were, and narrow it down to a day or two.

Yes, but Ive only become a list keeper since windows 7 and their sticky notes Wink lolol Well lists that Ive not lost that is. Shocked I have about 4 sticky notes on my desktop at all times and they are set to be there when my computer boots up. And my note taking for the garden has really come along. I have a one note just for the garden. It has tables and things to make it easy. The moon phases have helped me to put those things on sticky notes and plan ahead and yes I love "backspacing" (crossing off) to get rid of my list.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Bayou Life 4/23/2011, 10:59 am

I think it has become a discipline for me. Like some sort of martial art, lol.

I have waited for up to a month to plant when I've missed the date that I had originally planned with the almanac. You know how much discipline I have to use to pull that off?

The one time I did stray from it, my corn seeds rotted in the ground. Is it coincidence? Maybe, but I'd rather not chance it. Lol

I do the same with the chore list. Someone else has planned the year out for me. Might as well use it. In past years, I would use a date book, or store bought calendar. I would write all the major info down for the year, cultivation, planting, weed killing, etc. Then I would add it to the computer. This year I decided to use only the computer and my iPhone. Both devices crashed and I lost everything. Lucky guy, I am. I got my planning back in order. My girlfriend says I have OCD when it comes to gardening. I call it attention to detail.
Bayou Life
Bayou Life

Male Posts : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down