Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
planting by moon phase? Toplef10planting by moon phase? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

planting by moon phase? I22gcj10planting by moon phase? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
planting by moon phase? Toplef10planting by moon phase? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

planting by moon phase? I22gcj10planting by moon phase? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

planting by moon phase?

+6
LaFee
ribsyhuggins
sceleste54
staf74
camprn
happyfrog
10 posters

Go down

planting by moon phase? Empty planting by moon phase?

Post  happyfrog 12/5/2010, 8:38 pm

my husband and i were chatting earlier about our children and moon phases (and how we're convinced during the full moon the children are slightly whacked out of their gourds) and during new moon time is a slightly calmer time (well, depends onthe time of day *grin* they are after all, very young)
. . (new moon now where i live)

anyways,

because of that discussion, that got me wondering about growing stuff. esp. since historically, women cycle by the moon phases .. . full moon, menses, new moon ovulation and new life creation. . and labor onset with full moon phase (if allowed to progress naturally w/o intervention from medical personnel)

so is that true as well about growing in the garden??

here are some links i found that i really enjoyed reading - there are SO MANY - do a google search - you can easily spend hours reading. *grin*

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/vegetable/planting-by-moon-phase-fact-or-fiction.htm

here's a farmers almanac planting schedule based on the moon. .

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/gardening/

would love to know what others experiences have been with this. i am really intrigued about this!!

i really enjoy doing things naturally and in harmony with the earth so this would actually go along with that way of thinking. . .
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

planting by moon phase? Empty Re: planting by moon phase?

Post  camprn 12/5/2010, 8:45 pm

Good links, Thanks. I believe there are a few other previous threads about planting and various natural cycles.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 12/5/2010, 9:31 pm

Makes perfect sense to me and I use the farmers almanac table on moon phases for my plantings. Finch had a thread about "non-gardeners don't know" and here in part was my reply to that specific part.

"I've found a connection to the Earth, its cycles, pulsations and vibrations that I find inescapable. I planted my seeds by the moon and tried to follow some of the Rotheraine principles of bio-dynamic farming, i'm not sure if this helped but it just felt right."

Ander feels the same way too in part of his reply.

Staf, I have always gardened by the moon signs and taken a lot of ribbing from others for doing so. My educated head tells me there couldn't be anything to it, and yet my sentimental heart always feels right when I do it and wrong when I don't. I never knew why, but maybe you hit the nail on the head. Maybe it makes me feel connected, not only to the natural cycles of the earth but of my own world, too.

Without getting "new-agey" or spiritual in any way, moon plantings actually make perfect sense from well known and understood scientific principles. Water is affected by the moons gravitational fluctuations; the most obvious being tides. I'm no expert and planting by astrological signs can get complex but simply put, during these cycles, water moves upwards or downwards. If you have sowed your seeds (or ABOVE ground edible transplants) when water is moving upwards (just after the new moon as it waxes /gets bigger), then you will have to water less often and your seed will hold water longer and hence, germinate faster as water naturally percolates upwards from the soil into the seed. Conversely, root crops are best planted just after the full moon when water is moving downwards. The closer to the point at which the moon is beginning to wane or diminish the better but not at the full moon itself. This gives maximum support to root growth. Also, it is said it is better to harvest at this point for storage purposes due to the reduced moisture content and a lesser chance of spoilage /mold / mildew.

I think once studied, not only is the subject fascinating but actually quite logical and makes perfect sense... just be prepared for some quizzical looks from the unitiated. :scratch:
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 12/5/2010, 10:15 pm

Well.. where theres smoke theres fire... Planting by Moon Phase and astrology has been around since the Egyptians and before... Theres got to be something to it to have survived this long... just my .03.. Very Happy
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 12/5/2010, 10:30 pm

Exactly Sceleste!

staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  ribsyhuggins 12/6/2010, 12:23 am

i did bit research on the topic a few years ago.
All the comprehensive studies showed there was no significant difference
in yield or other factors that affected production.
ribsyhuggins

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 12/6/2010, 12:49 am

yet if it feels right and people like doing it, there's absolutely no harm whatsoever in following a lunar calendar.

As above...if there wasn't something to it, it wouldn't have survived for so many centuries.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 12/6/2010, 5:14 am

well stated, ya'll!!

this is definitely something i'm intrigued with and will be pursuing. it makes so much sense!!!!

i think if i can get more consistent results with growing carrots it will be worth it. at the moment, the only way i can get carrots to grow is if i plant them during rainstorms - otherwise, they don't stay damp enough for consistent germination. .
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

planting by moon phase? Empty Just so you know

Post  ander217 12/6/2010, 8:32 am

staf74 wrote:Ander feels the same way too in part of his reply.

Just so you know Staf, I'm a lady. My name is LeAnn but friends nicknamed me Leander in school. My hubby affectionately shortened it to Ander. Smile

The cycle in my own life to which I referred was the fact that my grandmother was taught to garden by the moon signs by her Scotch-Irish mother, and then my grandmother taught me. Now it's something that I am passing on to my own children. I'm not New Age either, but as LaFee said - whether it's scientific or not, it's fun to do it and see if it makes a difference.

Personally I do believe there is something valid in the lunar cycles. I know there are many on the forum who think it's all total hogwash. That's okay, too. We all grow veggies.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 12/6/2010, 10:19 am

AGGHH......so sorry LeAnn. I was not even aware I was being presumptuous..thank you for the correction Embarassed

Its really just a tool that mother nature provides. Using it or not is just a personal choice. I don't think it can harm so why not eh ?
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/6/2010, 10:30 am

Does planting by the moon work even when you can't see it behind all the rain clouds?!Wink

This seems like a good time to revive this thread; we haven't seen it in a while...

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/outside-the-box-f40/what-s-in-a-name-t973-75.htm?highlight=whats+in+a+name
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 12/6/2010, 11:17 am

Howdy Folks:

Family oral history tells of two brothers, Ed and Ivy Roden, Ivy planted by the moon phases and Ed did not. If the almanic said beans plant by the dark of the moon he would plant at night when the moon phases were such that the moon could not be seen. Ed's beans, like every on else's, were attacked by bugs where Ivy's were bothered very little. Oral history can be true or just made up and handed down. It would have been nice if someone in the family had done a study or at least have documented how their gardening methods were different and the results.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

planting by moon phase? Empty signs?

Post  ander217 12/6/2010, 11:19 am

boffer wrote:Does planting by the moon work even when you can't see it behind all the rain clouds?!Wink

You guys in the Pac NW have to use a totally different system of planting by the signs. For example, you should plant your corn when the fir needles are the length of sasquatch hair. Smile
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 12/6/2010, 11:20 am

Yes Boffer it appears it works regardless of cloud cover, which is remarkable. This article has some great information on the subject.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5731145_do-phases-affect-plant-germination_.html

This highlight blew me away.

At Northwestern University, Dr. Frank Brown conducted a 10-year study showing that during a full moon, plants absorb more water. The study was conducted in a laboratory setting, and even though the plants were out of sight of the moon, its gravitational pull still influenced the plant's absorptive qualities.

I know Ribsy posted that comprehensive studies showed no effect. Perhaps a sharing of that source please Very Happy I'd like to review some more balanced information but 10 years seems pretty comprehensive to me.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/6/2010, 11:34 am

ander217 wrote:You guys in the Pac NW have to use a totally different system of planting by the signs. For example, you should plant your corn when the fir needles are the length of sasquatch hair. Smile

darn funny

And I was taught that it's time to fertilize corn when it's knee high to a sasquatch!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 12/6/2010, 11:41 am

It seems to me that if we know that the moon can move oceans, it's no great leap of faith to think it would have some effect on our gardens, too.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 12/6/2010, 1:04 pm

LaFee wrote:It seems to me that if we know that the moon can move oceans, it's no great leap of faith to think it would have some effect on our gardens, too.

and that's why i am really thinking that the garden planted by moon cycle might actually have a lot of merit - that and the various studies aforementioned in this thread does rather reinforce that concept that there is validity in this.

this is a fun thought to ponder over the winter months when all one can do is look longingly at the garden boxes all covered in snow. . .
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 12/6/2010, 1:21 pm

Go Boffer!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 12/6/2010, 5:25 pm

I bet ole Boff was yanking my chain jocolor but I replied to the rain cloud post all the same...

Such knowledge is child's play for our all-knowing oracle.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/6/2010, 7:27 pm

staf74 wrote:I bet ole Boff was yanking my chain jocolor...
gosh, gee, whiz...I'm soooooo busted! Embarassed jest funnin' with ya 'cause despite the clouds...the tides still rise and fall, the sun still rises and sets, and my honey-do list never gets any shorter.... Smile
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 12/6/2010, 9:24 pm

Me fell for it... hook, line and sinker Very Happy ..... you caught a "newbiefish"
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down