Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First planting in my sfg! Toplef10First planting in my sfg! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First planting in my sfg! I22gcj10First planting in my sfg! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First planting in my sfg! Toplef10First planting in my sfg! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First planting in my sfg! I22gcj10First planting in my sfg! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

First planting in my sfg!

3 posters

Go down

First planting in my sfg! Empty First planting in my sfg!

Post  sherryeo 4/9/2011, 9:20 pm

Man, did I ever have trouble concentrating at work today. All I really wanted to do was get home so I could get my garden going!

Ok, I got both my 4X4s filled with Mel's Mix. I got one topped with the grid - gotta go back & get more lath for the second box's grid. And I actually planted 2 squares with bush beans! Yeeeeaaaa! I guess I should stop checking every fifteen minutes to see if they've sprouted, huh?

I haven't figured out how to post pics yet. I'll even have to learn how to use the digital camera again, it's been so long. I'm kind of technologically challenged when it comes to cameras. Not really much to see yet, anyway. But I've really been enjoying everybody else's great pics of actual greenery and vegetables.

This might seem like a silly question, but with four squares across the back of the box and a trellis at the back - should you plant all 4 squares with climbing veggies - beans, pea, cukes, tomatoes, etc? Or would that many plants be too crowded on the trellis? Would it be better to plant only 2 squares with climbers and something else in the squares between them? How do you more experienced sfgardeners handle this?

Thanks much.
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

First planting in my sfg! Empty Re: First planting in my sfg!

Post  AZDYJ2K 4/11/2011, 1:30 am

Congratulations.

I had a trellis on the back 4 squares and I put in a Sugar Baby watermelon, 2 string beans and a tomato plant. Unfortunately, they didn't take off like I wanted them to so I had no problems with overcrowding. For the strings beans, I actually had them on strings suspended from a frame I built using PVC (not very aesthetically pleasing). See picture below. I did this last year and was my first time using SFG. Notice no grids, however, they came later. I made sure to measure before I planted though. If I did put the beans on the trellis I'm pretty sure they would have gone all over the place and tangled up with the watermelon. Hoping someone with more experience will chime in. Good luck!

First planting in my sfg! 20100912
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/11/2011, 1:56 am

Sherry Owens wrote:Man, did I ever have trouble concentrating at work today. All I really wanted to do was get home so I could get my garden going!

Ok, I got both my 4X4s filled with Mel's Mix. I got one topped with the grid - gotta go back & get more lath for the second box's grid. And I actually planted 2 squares with bush beans! Yeeeeaaaa! I guess I should stop checking every fifteen minutes to see if they've sprouted, huh?

I haven't figured out how to post pics yet. I'll even have to learn how to use the digital camera again, it's been so long. I'm kind of technologically challenged when it comes to cameras. Not really much to see yet, anyway. But I've really been enjoying everybody else's great pics of actual greenery and vegetables.

This might seem like a silly question, but with four squares across the back of the box and a trellis at the back - should you plant all 4 squares with climbing veggies - beans, pea, cukes, tomatoes, etc? Or would that many plants be too crowded on the trellis? Would it be better to plant only 2 squares with climbers and something else in the squares between them? How do you more experienced sfgardeners handle this?

Thanks much.

It is not a silly question at all. A lot depends on you.

If you are trellising tomatoes, you will need to keep them pruned so they don't take over the world.
Beans, peas and cucumber usually play nice, you might want to watch how they grow and maybe direct them to stay in their own lane, but they will not overwhelm anything else.

Now, when you are talking vining squash - that is different, they take two squares along the trellis.

Hope this helps.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

First planting in my sfg! Empty First planting in my sfg!

Post  sherryeo 4/11/2011, 10:09 am

Thanks AZDYJ2K and Furbalsmom, I am doing some tomatoes (what would a garden be without tomatoes?!) and will prune the suckers and start trimming the top if they get too aggressive.

I did buy some zucchini plants and will try them, leaving 2 squares for each one in the 2 boxes. If they look like they're taking over, I'll just pull them. Silly me, I'd never bought and tried to grow zucchini and kind of thought they would be vines & could be trained up, but these are bush types. Rookie mistake. I still don't see where it says they're bush plants on the plant description that came with them, but I looked the variety up online.

I have bush beans, tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers, bell peppers, cayenne peppers, jalapeno peppers, my fave poblano peppers, cilantro and parsley, also. I'm having fun with it and have high hopes that most will do well.

Thanks for replying and for your advice! Smile
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/11/2011, 3:24 pm

Territorial Seed Co does have a vine type zucchini, but $6.90 for 10 seeds Shocked Something to consider for next year.

vining zucchini
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down