Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? Toplef10Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? I22gcj10Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? Toplef10Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? I22gcj10Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now?

+7
acara
Furbalsmom
Tiredmamaof5
jkahn2eb
elliephant
BackyardBirdGardner
duhh
11 posters

Go down

Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? Empty Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now?

Post  duhh 2/13/2011, 7:10 pm

The weather is beautiful and I'm gonna bet it's gonna stay that way.

We got out today and planted Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, micro greens, radish, bush beans, corn, strawberries, basil, cilantro, and I'm sure there was something else!

It felt good to get out in the sunshine today!
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? Empty Re: Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now?

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 2/13/2011, 7:16 pm

Good for you. I am jealous for sure. Good luck on your upcoming season over there.

But, we are only a few weeks behind you and coming on strong....lol.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? Empty Re: Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now?

Post  elliephant 2/13/2011, 7:29 pm

Been enjoying the sunshine the past 2 days and enjoying even more the help of my mom in cleaning up the backyard and building MORE sfgs! Suggested to my husband that we each take $100 of our tax refund as "blow money" and he was more than happy to agree to that idea (I'm the natural saver and he's the natural spender in our relationship), so I'm getting to really expand this year. Having my mom visiting from NC means I can accomplish more in a day than I can in a week with just me and the kiddos. "Unfortunately" we're losing most of tomorrow to a trip to the beach.

Planted dwarf peas yesterday that I hope will produce quickly enough to finish up before the heat gets too bad. Hardening off most of my tomato plants and plan to have them in the ground by mid-week, when I will start hardening off the rest, plus the pepper plants. Need to get the new beds in, though, because I still have many squares occupied by broccoli, cauliflower, peas, lettuce, carrots, and Swiss Chard that all survived our freezes at the beginning of the month.

Cucumbers will go in by the end of the month and I'm holding off on the really "warm weather" crops like melons, squash, beans, and okra until March. Smile
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 2/14/2011, 8:05 am

The only thing technically in my first SFG is lettuce. I have about 4 trays of seedings outside hardening... I'm anxious to get my Dragon's Egg cucumbers and Beit Alpha Cucumbers in because they are growing tall in little peat pots - they need to get in the soil.

You think we're good to go, duhh?

I'm in Chandler 85248 and next week it says low around 36 degrees while in Phoenix 85008 the ten-day weather forecast says 41. Should I hold off an keep everyone in trays until then?
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 2/14/2011, 3:21 pm

elliephant: hope you have fun at the beach, but know what you mean part of you wishes to stay home and get stuff done.

jkahn2ed: Glendale is usually slightly warmer than the east side.. so I would say plant if you dare. usually the last frost is the 2nd week of Feb. I just couldn't wait any longer with all that sunshine and warmth out there. Dragon's Egg cucumbers sound fun. I went with pickling, lemon and armienian(sp) cucumbers. They grown super fast! I normally start cucumbers, melons and squash outside because when it's hot they just grow so fast!
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

Post  Tiredmamaof5 3/1/2011, 7:14 pm

Hello AZ gardeners! This is my third crop using my square foot gardens. I have two six-squared gardens. I planted some seeds the last week in February in one of the beds. Cilantro, onion bunches, Kohlrabi, Finger carrots and Romaine lettuce, one of the squares still has spinach in it. I was planning on this being my late winter/spring garden, hopefully I can get some lettuce harvested before it gets too hot. I also have an AeroGarden and I use that to start my seeds. The seedlings should be ready to transplant in a couple of weeks. I also built a deeper garden bed (12 inches deep) to be devoted entirely to sweet potatoes. I will wait until late March to plant those, they like lots of warmth.

I was a little afraid of the weather report from last week when the temps were getting in the 30's at night. Then this past Sunday I looked outside and my garden where I had planted had white stuff on it! What! We live in Arizona, snow should not be happening here! Rolling Eyes

Happy gardening!
Tiredmamaof5

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/1/2011, 7:44 pm

TiredMamma
Did you ever build the SFG's on legs that you were considering last year? I am building and using Table Tops, sure does make life easier when you don't have to bend over or kneel to work in the garden.

Best of luck for this year's garden. I eny you the warm growing season.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 3/1/2011, 9:43 pm

Wow - what one night of warmer temps can do with a day of temps. Finally transplanted the rest of my garden yesterday - still have a bunch in plastic cups for a friend's garden - and everybody looked super perky and taller when I got home from work tonight. More lows in the mid-40's instead of high 30's and highs in the mid-70's. My first cherry tomato is about ready to be plucked. Can wait to taste the juicy sweet... cheers
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 3/2/2011, 1:28 am

Congrats on the tomato!!!

I'm loving the weather right now. We didn't get that cold here in Glendale. No snow this time around. Hadn't seen any new sprouts yet and today found squash and corn sprouts Smile They were planted a bit before the last little cold spell and we were thinking we might have to replant. Tomorrow I thnk I'll be planting watermelon Cool
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 3/2/2011, 6:57 am

I started my seedlings in peat, indoors on 31JAN (tomoatoes) and will put the first batch in the ground this weekend.

• Black Princes are 12" and ready to go into 1x8 box Saturday
  • Green and red Bell peppers are ready to transplant into 4x4 SFG this Saturday
  • Cherokee Chocolates are in 4" pots & should be able to go in the SFG next Saturday
  • Black Crimsons ahould be ready to go in the ground on/before 24MAR

Temps are in the 50's at night and low 80's during the day this week.

I had a single "straggler" added to the mix this weekend when my dad brought me up a "new" tomato variety (Sebring). It's a OP, determinate, hybrid, out of University of Florida ...... and I think it caught his eye because it was named the same as the town he lives in now (Sebring, FL).

It was a present, so I gotta grow it now Very Happy
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? Empty What's a micro green?

Post  grow4patty 3/12/2011, 2:19 pm

I was told at the garden department that greens would bolt immediately this time of year. But I would love to grow some. I'd appreciate knowing what those are. Thanks
grow4patty

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/12/2011, 6:38 pm

I know there was another post that showed Lavender Debs micro-greens growing in sieves, but I could not find it.
Micro-greens are assorted leafy lettuces, beets, pak choi. kphlrabi, broccoli and radishes that you grow just for the greens and usually add to salads. You grow them until they are about 2 inches high and clip them off at the soil line.

You can purchase packages of micro-green seeds, already a blend of various seeds, wherever you find lettuce seeds.

Micro-Greens
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? Empty pics of my raised garden on legs

Post  Tiredmamaof5 5/17/2011, 7:36 pm

Furbalsmom, I have two of my gardens on legs. Love it! Plus, the weeding is gone. When I had the raised beds on the ground, even on top of the weed blocker, the weeds still came through or maybe the wind or birds brought in seeds or something. I have my other raised garden beds laying on a crate which is on top of cinder blocks. Not as high, but still less bending and still no weeds.
Here is a link to the pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/rkmoneypit/SquareFootGarden51611#
Tiredmamaof5

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/17/2011, 11:30 pm

lookin good Tired Momma.

I can't tell you how much I enjoy my table tops. So far I have pulled ONE weed.

Those beds of yours on legs with a shelf underneath are pretty neat.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 5/25/2011, 10:03 am

Tomatoes are big and green right now... just pulled our first cucumber - sucker must have been 13 inches long and 3 inches think. Tasted awesome!

Eggplant fruits are 3 inches long, mini sweet bell peppers are forming, jalapenos are elongating....

Just my quick update
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  florenceq 5/25/2011, 11:57 am

I have toms of tomatoes just waiting to turn red, bush beans, parsley, tomatillos, eggplant, cucumber, summer and winter squash, lettuce, chard, spinach, sweet peppers, jalapenos, melon, ground cherries. The eggplant was started from seed in January and is only 3 inches tall, it seems to be struggling. Ground Cherries are something new I am trying our. Can't wait to harvest

O...and I have garden peas in a bucket but they are almost done. And carrots in a bucket.
florenceq
florenceq

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 6/16/2011, 8:16 pm

Growing a garden at my friend's who has health issues. Hopefully the fresh veggies do her well. The tomatoes were starting to bake so she pulled a bunch and gave me a bagfull today along with some other goodies:

Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? Jeris01

From left to right is an eggplant, mini sweet bell peppers, jalepenos, black cherry tomatoes, dragon's egg cucumber and vorlon tomatoes.

Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? Jeris02

A friend has been harvesting a boatload of roma tomatoes, pictured above along with the mini sweet bell peppers, jalepenos and then a few items from the store.

Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? Jeris04

Slicing up the Dragon's Egg Cucumber and below trying to ripen the Vorlon tomatoes and black cherry tomatoes (sooooooo tasty)

Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? Jeris03
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/17/2011, 1:19 am

jkahn

Nice to help a neighbor in need with some fresh veggies. Those certainly can't hurt and may well help her a great deal.

Looks like there has been a nice harvest going on with your other friend and all those romas, mini bells and jalapenos.

Enjoy and have fun.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? Empty Now what??

Post  Kate 7/7/2011, 6:15 am

I feel like my garden might be done for the summer. I am new to this and this year I got one HUGE zucchini (there were 3 smaller ones growing,we went out of town and when we got back the 3 small ones were gone and here was this HUGE one - it was like the big one ate up the small ones cause there were just gone!?!) I have had a few small handfuls pf cherry tomatoes (if I can get them before the birds). My red pepper appear to be a nice snack for something (birds or bugs I don't know). my spinach got over taken by the zucchini (I am beginning to think zuch is a garden bully).

So my question is now what? Do I plant new things? Do I wait? Do i rip out what is there right now - it is all beginning to look a little crispy?

THANK YOU!!

A new gardener
Kate

Back to top Go down

Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? Empty Now what part 2

Post  Kate 7/7/2011, 6:18 am

I forgot to tell you I am working with a raised garden box 3'x4'
Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 7/8/2011, 11:09 pm

My garden is looking a little crispy too. Peppers, Melons, pumpkins and some squash are still doing great.

You might still be able to grow some melons if they have room to srawl. I would pick a smaller variety since it is so late in the season. I have heard if you plant pumpkins around 4th of july you'll have one for halloween. Just make sure you trellis it, or have lots of room for it to grow. I let mine spill out of the boxes right now. Next year I will trellis them.

I'm waiting until beginning of Sept until fall/winter plantings. I can't wait to have fresh lettuce again!

Good luck!
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

Hey SW gardeners or other zone 9's!! Who is planting and what are you planting right now? Empty Thank you soo much!

Post  Kate 7/8/2011, 11:17 pm

Thank you for responding! I might try to pumpkin. I have a trelis on the back of my box!

Again, thank you!
Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 7/8/2011, 11:27 pm

Nothing right now just enjoying the harvest. In about two months I will start planting the fall garden. It is still in the planning stage. I am rooting some cuttings in water but I don't think that counts.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 8/1/2011, 3:01 pm

Found this guide exciting for the fact it encourages transplanting tomatoes and peppers now!

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/az1005.pdf
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 8/1/2011, 3:18 pm

I have a bunch of "volunteer" tomato plants popping up in my garden! I thought it would be way to hot for them. I will now be better about picking up any fallen tomatoes out of the mels mix. I may leave one there, but there really isn't room. I can try to transplant some of them too I guess.
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down