Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Transplanting seedlings versus planting larger plants (timing/dates) Toplef10Transplanting seedlings versus planting larger plants (timing/dates) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Transplanting seedlings versus planting larger plants (timing/dates) I22gcj10Transplanting seedlings versus planting larger plants (timing/dates) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Transplanting seedlings versus planting larger plants (timing/dates) Toplef10Transplanting seedlings versus planting larger plants (timing/dates) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Transplanting seedlings versus planting larger plants (timing/dates) I22gcj10Transplanting seedlings versus planting larger plants (timing/dates) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Transplanting seedlings versus planting larger plants (timing/dates)

3 posters

Go down

Transplanting seedlings versus planting larger plants (timing/dates) Empty Transplanting seedlings versus planting larger plants (timing/dates)

Post  greenmama 4/7/2011, 9:22 am

I have been using a gardening calendar website that helps you know when to plant things based upon your location. http://www.gardenate.com/

It tells you for example with Broccoli (in my zone 7), when to:
-(March) Plant undercover in seed trays & transplant in 4-6 weeks
-(April) Plant out seedlings
-(May) Plant direct in garden where they are to grow

Now, help me figure this out. For April, does that mean plant out the itty bitty seedlings you have just grown indoors, but in May, if you are just getting started, plant the bigger plants you bought from the garden store? What is the difference between April & May's instructions?

I'm in the MidAtlantic region
http://www.gardenate.com/plant/Broccoli

It's April, I'm 1 week away from my last frost date, and have nothing in the ground yet, & no seeds started. So for the ones I know I needed to have seeds started already (and I'm late to the game)--I'm just going to buy the plants this year.

So for example in the case of Broccoli, do I buy plants now at my garden store and put them in my 4x4 bed? Or do I wait until May? There are other crops I need to do this with (peppers, tomatoes for ex.), but this will give me a good frame of reference for what I need to be doing.

Thanks!
greenmama
greenmama

Female Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Transplanting seedlings versus planting larger plants (timing/dates) Empty Re: Transplanting seedlings versus planting larger plants (timing/dates)

Post  Furbalsmom 4/7/2011, 1:08 pm

The way I read the chart for Broccoli, for the Mid-Atlantic Region

Start seeds indoors (about 10 weeks before your last frost), then 4 - 6 weeks later (about 4 - 6 weeks before last frost), transplant your seedlings into the garden. These seedlings should be big enough. Harvest about two months after transplanting.

If you were unable to start your own seeds indoors, purchase transplants now and put them out soon (now) so they will mature before it gets too hot. (about 60-70 days from transplants for most varieties)

They are suggesting that you plant more seeds directly in the garden in May so you can harvest in August. That would have your broccoli maturing during the real heat of the summer, and broccoli is a cool weather plant What a Face I am not sure I agree with that at all.

If you are looking for a fall harvest, you could plant seeds about 3 1/2-4 months before your First Fall Frost. The seeds would germinate and grow during your warmer months, but not mature until it starts to cool down.

Hope this wasn't too confusing. I don't always explain things well.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Transplanting seedlings versus planting larger plants (timing/dates) Empty Re: Transplanting seedlings versus planting larger plants (timing/dates)

Post  quiltbea 4/7/2011, 1:29 pm

In general, broccoli can be started indoors from seeds about 12 weeks before your last frost date.
Then plant these same seedlings in the ground outdoors, about 5 weeks before your last frost date.
Transplant when they are 4-6" tall and have 4-6 true leaves and harden them off about a week before planting outdoors.
Broccoli is a cool-weather crop and can take some cold with a little protection, like covering with an old towel, sheet or heavy row cover when there's a freezing nite expected.

In my blog I post how to grow different crops and in a pinch, if I want to renew my brain with info, I re-read the article. I also have tips, like planting them a half inch deeper than they were in their seedling pot or cellpack.

For a fall crop, start seed in the garden in late spring. They can take some heat when they are germinating and actually seeds prefer being warm.

Again, if its too warm outdoors, seed can always be started indoors for fall crops if you prefer.

Good luck with your garden.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down