Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first Toplef10Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first I22gcj10Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first Toplef10Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first I22gcj10Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first

+5
GloriaG
ander217
boffer
camprn
middlemamma
9 posters

Go down

Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first Empty Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first

Post  middlemamma 12/17/2010, 6:44 pm

So to my understanding peas, lettuce and spinich are the first things in the garden in spring?

What else goes in first?

Here is a list of the things I THOUGHT could go in first?
Snow Peas
Radish
Brussel Sprouts
Lettuce
Spinach
Fennel
Kohlrabi
Celeriac

Then comes the big question....WHEN is 1st? Like February? March?
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first Empty Re: Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first

Post  camprn 12/17/2010, 7:07 pm

Beets can go in & onion sets, Brassicas too. I would guess end of march beginning of april. Are you truly in 5 b or 5 a? could make a difference. Click here for a pretty good planting by zone chart.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first Empty Re: Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first

Post  middlemamma 12/17/2010, 7:41 pm

I can always count on you Camp! Thats a GREAT chart...

Thank you!

I have no idea if I am 5b...I get mixed results on different sites.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/17/2010, 7:51 pm

Somebody's getting anxious already!

The seed packages say to plant as soon as the ground is workable. That happens when it happens, regardless of what the charts and tables say. There is no harm in planting too early, in fact, I plant early intentionally when I can, just cause it makes me feel good. If it doesn't work there's plenty of time to re-plant.

But, I've planted stuff on the Ides of March that was ready for harvest before the stuff that I planted on Valentine's Day. Sometimes dirt under the nails is worth more than the harvest Wink
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 12/17/2010, 7:55 pm

Yes...anxious. VERY. boogie woogie

Camp this is where I found I was 5b http://www.garden.org/zipzone/index.php

Is this reliable?
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 12/17/2010, 7:59 pm

True Boffer...true....

Last year I lost everything...I planted all my warm stuff...tomatoes, peppers, basil on Mother's Day...and we had 2 nights of a cold snap and I lost it all.

Didn't do any cool crops this past year so wanna get in on that. Smile

Smile
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/17/2010, 8:15 pm

Middlemamma, you and I are in a similar zone. I will probably start some of my seeds indoors the first week of March, my brassicas and perhaps onions & leeks. I will probably start tomatoes, eggplant, pepper, basil sometime near the Vernal Equinox. Until then, it is really too cold to grow much, for me at least. Just house plants for the next few months. I refuse to set up my grow station before March because it just wont work for my area to start before then.

Garden web has good info. I also just posted some frost/ freeze maps in another thread from NOAA
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/17/2010, 8:46 pm

I should have emphasized it's OK to plant cool crops early. Warm crops are another issue.

The USDA hardiness zones are of little value to veggie gardeners. They are primarily to determine what ornamental plants can over-winter in what areas, ie survive the average minimum winter temperatures. Who's growing veggies outside in the winter?

What you really need to know is the average first and last frost/freeze dates for your area. There have been a couple good websites posted in the past where you plug in your zip code, but of course, I can't find them at the moment.

Have you gained enough experience to tell if you're in a micro-climate that might mess things up? Or is the temperature at your house similar to the greater region when it is reported? Does the wind at your place affect your temps differently than what the local weather stations might report?

A few months ago, someone posted this link that I like for computing GDDs. But there is a lot of other info if you look around, that helps to get a feel for the weather in one's area. 40 degrees is the magic number above which cool crops will grow. A lot of them will survive down into the 20's, but they just sit there. 50 is considered the baseline for warm season crops; below 50, they just sit there.

I saw on one map at that link, that your average lows are expected to be in the 20s this coming February, and the average highs in the 30's. Which is still too cold without protection. If you turned a box into a cold frame, which I think I read in another post that you're thinking of doing, you might be able to plant in February if you get some sunshine, but things will still grow slowly. But then we're back to the value of dirt under the fingernails! Wink
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first Empty cool veggies

Post  ander217 12/18/2010, 8:16 am

Jennie, my Grandma's wisdom was to always plant some lettuce on Valentine's Day. She kept a piece of a row mulched over the winter just for that purpose. Sometimes the lettuce didn't even come up, but most times some of it would eventually come up and give her some early lettuce. In those years with a really early spring she got the full pay-off.

As Boffer said, there are no hard and fast rules as to what will survive in any given year. I say if your MM isn't frozen hard as a rock, sow a grid of early salad crops as early as you like. If you get the right kind of weather it might pay off. Otherwise all you've lost is a little bit of seed.

Regarding peas - smooth-seeded types like Alaska can take the cold better than wrinkle-seeded types (most of the remaining varieties).

Corn salad or mache is supposed to be one of most cold-hardy salad crops and cress is a close second. Spinach is also very hardy.

Although broccoli and cabbage are cool-tolerant, 28-degree temps will burn their leaves. Small leaves of any crop seem to make it through freezes better than large leaves. Collards and kale are the most cold-hardy greens. In this area they are usually planted as a fall crop. Turnips can take the cold, too.

Dill and parsley can go in early but basil is warm weather.

Potatoes must be grown in cool weather. Carrots take the cool weather, too.

Beans are warm weather, but they will tolerate temps a little cooler than melons, squash, sweet potatoes, and okra. Okra won't germinate in cool soil.

Pansies and violas love cool weather, too.

If you have something growing and then an unexpected cold snap is forecast you can read past threads on the forum to find things to do to get your growing veggies through a couple of days of cold weather.

Pace yourself and wait on the seasons. There are gardening things to enjoy now that you don't have time for when growing gets in full swing. Take time to really read the seed catalogs and choose your varieties well. Make a realistic list of how much food you need to grow to feed your family. Check out the seed exchange threads. Make grids on paper and fill in your three-season plan. I've found that to be an immense help. As soon as one crop comes out, I know exactly what I want to plant in its place. I've already thought through possible problems with the neighboring grids and I've got timing issues worked out. Sketch out future expansion plans. Scrounge for lumber to make more boxes. Study up on canning and preserving, and make a practice run or two with produce found on sale. (Cranberries are usually marked way down after the holidays, for example.) Start scrounging for fruit jars or freezer containers from family, at yard sales, and junk shops. Scrounge those same places for fabric to make row covers.

I remember seeing a Tom Selleck movie decades ago which had this line: "The Earth is slow, but the ox is patient." The older I get, the better I understand that, but I still throw out some lettuce seed on Valentine's Day.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first Empty Boffer - how do you apply the GDD informaiton?

Post  GloriaG 12/18/2010, 10:48 am

I looked at the GDD calculator you posted. It's great, and I can see that our area was "above average" in early 2010. But I don't exactly know how to apply that information to gardening since I know our weather was very cold last winter.

GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/18/2010, 11:12 am

Ander, I love the way you write! Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 12/18/2010, 11:49 am

This is great! Thanks for all the info and links everyone. "Santa" sent me some great seeds that I'm anxious to start as well. Needless to say, I'm trying to figure all of this out too and can't wait to get my hands dirty! I'll be putting together boxes in the garage after the holidays.
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first Empty Aw, shucks

Post  ander217 12/18/2010, 4:24 pm

camprn wrote:Ander, I love the way you write! Very Happy

Thank you. Embarassed

(My kids say I have the annoying ability to turn a simple sentence into an essay. I'm afraid it's too true.)
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/18/2010, 4:47 pm

Now...if we could just take Ander's experience and wisdom and cram them down the throat of every noobie with OCD who is going to master this gardening thing in their first year....by golly, we could save a lot of new gardeners from themselves.

Wax on, wax off. I think Ander has an understanding and an ability to share, that I'll never know.

Last edited by boffer on 12/18/2010, 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : duh mistake)
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 12/18/2010, 4:50 pm

yeppers
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/18/2010, 5:57 pm

Jumiclads found one of the links I was thinking of. Thank you.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze-frost-dates/

Ander, Camp, and I are basically saying the same thing: plant cool crops when you can get your trowel into the ground because there's nothing to lose but seed. Sometimes you win; sometimes you don't. There's always time for a second, third, or fourth planting.

Warm crops are trickier, but at least we're not fighting cabin fever!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 12/18/2010, 6:05 pm

Thank you! That link is very helpful Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 12/22/2010, 12:28 am

My, oh, my! That site certainly puts things into perspective for me. My results (78504) are pretty funny, with the spring and fall dates crossing all over each other. I guess that's what happens when you don't have winter. Cool site; thanks for sharing!
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 12/31/2010, 6:34 pm

According to iGrowIt (they only had Zone 5, not 5B so I'm not sure).

January: nothing

February:
Jerusalem Artichoke
Eggplant
Garlic
Lettuce
Parsnips
Spinach

March:
All of the above and
Beets
Brussels Sprouts
Carrots
Cauliflower
Celery
Leeks
Onions
Peas
Peppers
Radishes
Rhubarb

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/31/2010, 7:47 pm

Here in New Hampshire I am in zone 5a and I have to say that I think this list recommendations are premature by at least month. Most years we have a good deal of snow left on the frozen solid ground well into March, and then comes what we call Sugaring and Mud season.
Normally I don't begin planting seed, indoors or out, until the middle of March at the earliest.
Last year I seeded indoors Brussels sprouts & onions the second week March. Mid march I seeded indoors, peppers, eggplant, tomatoes. I had a newly built bed w/ Mels Mix and I planted sweet ann peas, red and gold beets, spinach and swiss chard outside the last week of March. The outdoor planting had good germination and was successful.Very Happy
This year I am seeding the onions and leeks earlier, maybe some artichokes mid January.
I think I am going to wait until the Equinox to seed my summer veggies indoors. If I plant them too early they just get leggy and seem to lose their health. Sad

ksroman wrote:According to iGrowIt (they only had Zone 5, not 5B so I'm not sure).

January: nothing

February:
Jerusalem Artichoke
Eggplant
Garlic
Lettuce
Parsnips
Spinach

March:
All of the above and
Beets
Brussels Sprouts
Carrots
Cauliflower
Celery
Leeks
Onions
Peas
Peppers
Radishes
Rhubarb

Last edited by camprn on 12/31/2010, 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 12/31/2010, 8:33 pm

According to eHow http://www.ehow.com/way_5745511_schedule-vegetable-garden-zone-5.html

Cool-Weather Crops

• Vegetables considered cool-weather crops in zone 5 are
    cauliflower, cabbage, lettuce, kale, onions, celery, spinach, carrots,
    beats and broccoli. These vegetables are all planted in late February or
    early March in zone 5. They all tolerate mild frost and are not damaged
    by late-season cold snaps.

• Warm-Weather Crops

• Plant
    tomatoes, peppers, sweet potato, and eggplant in March or early April
    in zone 5 after all chance of frost is past. These vegetables will not
    tolerate even light frost and need the warmer earth temperatures present
    in the soil only after the air temperature has warmed.

• Vining Crops

• Crops grown from plants
    with a vining habit are planted in late April to early May in zone 5.
    Plant these seeds in peat pots and then plant the pots in the ground.
    These vegetables must have warm air to thrive and cannot be started
    before the late spring. These vegetables are cantaloupe, watermelon,
    cucumber, beans and squash. Corn, while not a vine vegetable, also
    follows this schedule in zone 5.

• Read more: Schedule for Planting a Vegetable Garden in Zone 5 | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5745511_schedule-vegetable-garden-zone-5.html#ixzz19k81wK1D

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
    FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Planting Dates 5B: What I can plant first WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
    sfg4uKim
    sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/31/2010, 8:48 pm

ksroman wrote:
    tomatoes, peppers, sweet potato, and eggplant in March or early April
    in zone 5 after all chance of frost is past. These vegetables will not
    tolerate even light frost and need the warmer earth temperatures present
    in the soil only after the air temperature has warmed.

Yup, so my seed planting time frame should work. What a Face For zone 5, generally speaking 'after all chance of frost is past' is usually Memorial Day, but sometimes later. What a Face
    camprn
    camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down