Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can I plant beans on a trellis behind 2 rows of corn? Toplef10Can I plant beans on a trellis behind 2 rows of corn? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can I plant beans on a trellis behind 2 rows of corn? I22gcj10Can I plant beans on a trellis behind 2 rows of corn? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can I plant beans on a trellis behind 2 rows of corn? Toplef10Can I plant beans on a trellis behind 2 rows of corn? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can I plant beans on a trellis behind 2 rows of corn? I22gcj10Can I plant beans on a trellis behind 2 rows of corn? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 11:07 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Can I plant beans on a trellis behind 2 rows of corn?

+3
FarmerValerie
Megan
NHGardener
7 posters

Go down

Can I plant beans on a trellis behind 2 rows of corn? Empty Can I plant beans on a trellis behind 2 rows of corn?

Post  NHGardener 3/27/2011, 9:18 am

Or would the corn block out the sun for the beans?

The beans need trellis space, so I thought maybe I could squeeze them back there behind the corn, which don't need trellis space. The other option is putting the corn in the back and the beans in the front, and let the beans climb up the corn as a trellis... but I don't know if that really works.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Can I plant beans on a trellis behind 2 rows of corn? Empty Re: Can I plant beans on a trellis behind 2 rows of corn?

Post  Megan 3/27/2011, 9:26 am

I assume you're planting pole beans? If they are bush, they don't need a trellis. (I figure you are growing pole beans; just saying this for newcomers.)

Beans can climb corn as a trellis. It is called the Three Sisters method and was started by the Native Americans. However, the corn needs a headstart on the beans. I did a modified 3 sisters last year. My beans grew MUCH faster than my corn did, so I trained the beans up my trellises instead. In later reading, I found out that the typical corn used for a 3-sisters is a tall-growing flint/dent type (Hickory King is often mentioned). My sweet corn did get to 10 feet, and the beans leaped back onto them from the trellis, and broke a few tassels off. The beans did great, the corn grew well but no harvest to speak of... but my bed was on the north side of the house and I think that was probably a factor.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Can I plant beans on a trellis behind 2 rows of corn? Empty Re: Can I plant beans on a trellis behind 2 rows of corn?

Post  FarmerValerie 3/27/2011, 9:28 am

You can plant the beans 3" away from the corn when the corn is 4" high and let the beans climb the corn. This will be my first attempt at this, but I have read it really does work to let the beans climb the corn. I probably just mad things clear as mud for you, but you could plant the beans in front of the corn as you asked and train them to climb, or space your corn 4 per square, and at the edge of the square plant a bean seed and train it to climb your corn. Hope I helped some. I'll be doing the 3 sisters method as well, but I'm adding the 3rd sister, squash plants.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 3/27/2011, 9:53 am

my little girl grew a three sisters garden last year and had a pretty decent result. she planted four corns per square, toward the corners, then planted four beans per square, toward the sides. she planted in a design that created a cross, so that the ends were oriented toward the four points on the compass. in the corner squares of the box she planted four different squashes.

she started the corn first, and when it was about 6"-8" tall she planted the beans and the squash. she trained the beans up the corn stalks, and trained the squash under and thru the corn stalks to act as a mulch.

i'll check my notes, but my memory is telling me that she harvested three ears of corn per stalk, and about 10 pounds of beans total. her zucchini squash produced only flowers, no squash, but the spaghetti squash and the crookneck did really well, in fact we had enough crookneck that we had to dehydrate a lot of it or it would have gone bad before we could finish it.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/27/2011, 10:00 am

Okay, this sounds more practical that what I was planning (don't ask, I'll just confuse myself again). So, the corn was near the corners like an X, and the beans were N, S, E, & W? With Squash in the corners? Maybe you should video your daughter and have her teach us!!!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 3/27/2011, 10:21 am

later today i'll post last year's planting diagram, and if i can dig out pictures of the garden i'll post those too. we take THOUSANDS of pictures a month--seriously--yesterday i downloaded almost 2000 pictures just from my PHONE. i haven't even downloaded pictures from the camera this week. all that to say: it might take me a few days to unearth the pictures of the gardens.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 3/27/2011, 12:04 pm

I don't think I'm going to use the 3 sisters with the corn stalks, only because I think I'm going to share my bean space with early peas, which need a trellis and grow before the corn.

Assuming that it is realistic to grow peas early, and then beans in summer. Unless the book was just being optimistic. Smile

I just finished my garden diagram. As soon as I find the free planning website (I erased my "favorites" link, oh well) I'm going to post the diagram and see what you all think.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/27/2011, 12:53 pm

Is this the site you wanted:

http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Page-KitchenGardenDesigner

Its the one I use and love it.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 3/27/2011, 1:27 pm

Hmmm. Let's see if this works.

Nope, that didn't work. How do you post a plan from gardeners.com? I have it saved there.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 3/27/2011, 1:36 pm

I have been finding the Farmers Almanac very helpful during my first try at gardening the right way, lol. Close out the subscription box when it pops up, you don't have to subscribe to use it. It tells you when you can plant in your area for some of the most popular veggies using frost dates :o)

My first thought was that you can use the corn, but if your doing it earlier like you said you could do a first crop then take it out and do a root crop later when the corn is too high. I grew beans and peas last year in my first and only row garden in a very shaded spot. It's very hot here so I thought it would be okay but I only got a handful of beans and peas.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 3/27/2011, 2:17 pm

quiltbea wrote:Is this the site you wanted:

http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Page-KitchenGardenDesigner

Its the one I use and love it.

Wow!! This is the coolest tool I've seen since the MM calculator!! I'm so happy I found this forum :o)
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwirose 3/27/2011, 5:52 pm

I may be overly optimistic - but I have planted snap peas (on 2/21 - they are about 4 inches tall now), and plan to do the 3 sisters, starting with planting corn in ~ a month or so, when the peas look like they are doing well. I have started seedlings of my squashes and will plant beans when corn in 4-6 inches tall. I should say - I have never done this plan of attack before.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
kiwirose

Female Posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down