Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Six inch deep beds? Toplef10Six inch deep beds? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Six inch deep beds? I22gcj10Six inch deep beds? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Six inch deep beds? Toplef10Six inch deep beds? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Six inch deep beds? I22gcj10Six inch deep beds? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Six inch deep beds?

+2
ander217
retired member 2
6 posters

Go down

Six inch deep beds? Empty Six inch deep beds?

Post  retired member 2 3/21/2011, 6:28 pm

Hi all. I am new. Posted an intro under the welcome forum and asked a coupld of questions while I was there. I sure hope someone can answer them for me!

Another question. Do most of you stick to the 6' deep beds? I am not sure if I should do that or not. After spening all the $ for this new system, I sure want to do it right and get some good results.
retired member 2

Female Posts : 100

Back to top Go down

Six inch deep beds? Empty Bed depth

Post  ander217 3/21/2011, 6:44 pm

Six inches are all you need for most crops except potatoes, long leeks, and long carrots. Since the roots are getting all the water and nutrients they need, they don't need to reach down and out so far. Really tall crops such as giant sunflowers or six-shooter corn may need some extra support when grown in shallow boxes, but most things do just fine.

We made some of our boxes 8" deep because that happened to be the size lumber we had. The MM usually settles a lot the first year, so you really end up using more like 4 or 5 inches in a 6-inch box, but it's still enough.

We built our first box 12" deep because I wanted to plant potatoes and long carrots. I made a newbie mistake and filled the entire box with MM. We could have used a cheaper filler material for the bottom 6" and then added the MM on top. We pulled that box up this spring to put hardware cloth on the bottom for vole deterrent, and this time we spread 6" of free-for-the-hauling rice hulls in the bottom, then added the MM on top.

Some people build all 6" boxes, and when they want to grow potatoes, long leeks, or carrots, they add a "top hat", or a 6" frame over a few squares, and then fill only those few square with extra MM. It's a trick that stretches the MM further.

Trust us. Six inches are enough.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Six inch deep beds? Empty Re: Six inch deep beds?

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/21/2011, 7:02 pm

You will find folks telling you that 4 inches is plenty for most things you will plant.

When you have perfectly conditioned soil, the roots need go no further. They just spread out.

Stay coachable to the system and you will be amazed at how easy things become. I urge you to ask ANY question before deviating from the system, like you did, and don't be afraid to ask for clarification, too. The SFG system was put in place to save work. And, making more than 6 inches of MM, without good reason (like for potatoes), is just adding both work and expense unnecessarily.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 3/21/2011, 8:37 pm

Keeping in topic, I bought 8in wood, easiest to get. I was just going to fill it all the way but after doing the math with someone's handy calculator I really am buying way more fill than I need. Does it make a difference if I do 6 in of MM but the box isn't full to the 8in top? Thanks :o)
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/21/2011, 8:54 pm

Nah, you are fine. Smile Welcome! By all means save the money on the MM. If you are planning on planting longish carrots, or parsnips, you might get away without a high-rise with a full 8-inch box, though. Sweet potatoes and spring (early) potatoes come to mind also. But for regular crops the basic 6" of MM is all you really need, unless you have extreme climactic reasons to use a deeper bed.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Six inch deep beds? Empty 8" boxes

Post  ander217 3/22/2011, 7:42 am

krazikandiland wrote:Keeping in topic, I bought 8in wood, easiest to get. I was just going to fill it all the way but after doing the math with someone's handy calculator I really am buying way more fill than I need. Does it make a difference if I do 6 in of MM but the box isn't full to the 8in top? Thanks :o)

Our 1' x 8' trellised beds are 8" deep. We didn't completely fill them last summer, and then with settling they wound up with probably 5-6 inches of MM. They grew great tomatoes and basil, though.

An alternative would be to put a layer of cheap filler in the bottom two inches of the box.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/22/2011, 10:40 am

krazikandiland wrote:Keeping in topic, I bought 8in wood, easiest to get. I was just going to fill it all the way but after doing the math with someone's handy calculator I really am buying way more fill than I need. Does it make a difference if I do 6 in of MM but the box isn't full to the 8in top? Thanks :o)

I did the same. The 8" was cheaper than 6". So, I filled it to the top, loosely, and when it settled, I have around 5-6 inches. It leaves the perfect amount for mulch, too. And, since the peat and vermiculite won't ever decompose, I will likely fill it over time with my own composted materials.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/22/2011, 11:49 am

Great post Ander!!

We have all different sizes and I like the 8" best for the 6” of mix I end up with in that box. My husband who sits on the wallet likes 12" but me who keeps the mix under my fingernails knows that 6 is enough (even when it compresses to 3 to 4" of mix)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down