Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone else on here from Wyoming? Toplef10Anyone else on here from Wyoming? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone else on here from Wyoming? I22gcj10Anyone else on here from Wyoming? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone else on here from Wyoming? Toplef10Anyone else on here from Wyoming? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone else on here from Wyoming? I22gcj10Anyone else on here from Wyoming? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Fri May 17, 2024 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Thu May 16, 2024 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Thu May 16, 2024 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Thu May 16, 2024 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid Tue May 14, 2024 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Sun May 12, 2024 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Tue May 07, 2024 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Mon May 06, 2024 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Mon May 06, 2024 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Sun May 05, 2024 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Sat May 04, 2024 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Thu May 02, 2024 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Wed May 01, 2024 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Wed May 01, 2024 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone else on here from Wyoming?

+5
Megan
Kabaju42
PeggyC
Goosegirl
tlabbey
9 posters

Go down

Anyone else on here from Wyoming? Empty Anyone else on here from Wyoming?

Post  tlabbey Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi All,

I just moved to Casper Wyoming from San Diego California and missing my year round garden very badly Sad!!!!!!! I'm getting used to the cold and the snow so that is a plus and since I found this website am feeling very optimistic about having a wonderful garden here in my new home state Smile!!!!!!

I did square foot gardening and taught it to the children in my classes every year, when I was a teacher from 1996 to 2001 in South Africa and so was super excited when I came across this website and it gave me hope to be able to have a great garden here in Wyoming!!!! I would love to hear from others in my area, as to what they are doing in their gardens and when as I have no idea when to start planting!!!!! I have my seeds and bulbs ready in a box and am itching to get started planting Smile!!!!! I will be putting together my squares in the next week or tow and am doing all the planning right now and would love some input on what to start as seeds indoors and when and what to plant straight into the ground and when? And if there are any good community recourses I would love to know about those too!!!!

Happy gardening!
Hugs,
Tracy
tlabbey

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Anyone else on here from Wyoming? Empty RE: Anyone else on here from Wyoming?

Post  Goosegirl Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:08 am

Anyone else on here from Wyoming? 396615 flower Anyone else on here from Wyoming? 396615 flower Anyone else on here from Wyoming? 396615

Welcome to SFG! I am not in Wyoming, but I am close, and in a similar situation as you. I am in NE South Dakota, a transplant from Northern CA and I was used to a MUCH longer growing season (read no snowAnyone else on here from Wyoming? 695909). I have been gardening for several years out here now, but this is my first year with SFG. I have the wood for the boxes and some of my trellises are already put together. Now, I am awaiting the melt.....

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:13 am

Tracy - make sure you post over on the Welcome Mat and introduce yourself to everyone there! Even if you don't find many fellow Wyoming Gardeners, you will find LOTS of helpful information from everyone - there are SFGers from all over the world on the forum, from all kinds of climates!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  tlabbey Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:17 am

Thanx Goosegirl for the welcome Smile!!!! I will go introduce myself on the Welcome mat Smile!!! Yup waiting for the melt LOL!!!!!
tlabbey

Back to top Go down

Anyone else on here from Wyoming? Empty Re: Anyone else on here from Wyoming?

Post  PeggyC Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:27 am

I'm about 2 hours east of wyoming, into Nebraska. It took me a few years to put out the $$ for BOGS snow boots. Wish I had done it sooner. So, if you haven't bought snowboots at walmart yet, hit up your local real shoe store right now during their end of season sale. The kids' model is big enough for me and a lot more affordable than adult size but since payless and walmart/kmart cost $35, why not spend an extra 20 for some that are affordable.

how does this fit into SFG? no idea, but I want to shout from the rooftops that BOGS are worth every penny!!! Welcome to the Arctic!
PeggyC
PeggyC

Female Posts : 126

http://www.craftycrofts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tlabbey Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:41 am

LOL thanx PeggyC, I have a pair of UGS I had, had for several years and never worn as they were just too warm in San Diego but I just had to have them as they were so cute LOL, I'm a shoe person and now yes (welcome to the Artic alright LOL!!!) I wear them everyday Smile, I miss all my cute opened toed pumps and heels but oh well I will find new things to love here I know!!!! I will go look for some BOGS at Walmart since you'rve pricked my curiosity and a girl of course can never have enough shoes Wink!!!!!!
Hugs,
Tracy
tlabbey

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:34 am

tlabbey wrote:and a girl of course can never have enough shoes Wink!!!!!!
Hugs,
Tracy

And don't forget that you need to have 'garden shoes'! lol! (spoken by a girl that just bought 2 more pairs of shoes yesterday!)

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:24 am

lol!

Welcome to the forums. Anyone else on here from Wyoming? 61949 Funny I've never thought of this region as the arctic, but then I grew up here in Utah so I'm used to it.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:33 am

Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PeggyC Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:13 am

BOGS aren't at walmart. they are waterproof snow/rain boots, and I'm just saying that since walmart's snow/rain boots cost like $35, and right now you can get BOGS for like, $45 end of season, go get BOGS.

When I moved here from Hawaii 3 years ago I didn't know there was such a difference in snowboots. I feel like there should be some kind of dummies' guide to living in the arctic, starting with the difference between types of snow shovels (which I still don't understand) and also explaining boots.

I still haven't sprung for UGGs but might next winter. I wouldn't want to wear them in the snow though to get all muddy and ugly.
PeggyC
PeggyC

Back to top Go down

Post  PeggyC Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:15 am

Oh, and as for Garden shoes, check out the low BOGS. I'm just going to use my BOGS boots for the garden...or be barefoot...my real preference...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_n_0?rh=n%3A672123011%2Ck%3Abogs+boots%2Cn%3A%21672124011%2Cn%3A679337011&bbn=672124011&keywords=bogs+boots&ie=UTF8&qid=1299942546&rnid=672124011
PeggyC
PeggyC

Back to top Go down

Post  annamagpie Tue May 22, 2012 10:28 am

Where in Wyoming? I'm in western SD--in the BLack HIlls (near Rapid City). I know there is someone from Casper here too.
annamagpie
annamagpie

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach Tue May 22, 2012 11:08 am

I am in the Black Hills too, not quite as cold here but pretty close. This spring and winter were unseasonably warm! I got a lot of stuff in the ground much sooner than usual! Hope you like cool weather crops, that's kind of a bonus. They are probably a lot easier to grow here than Cali! I have lived here my whole life so I don't know any different but I could imagine how hard it would be going from a year round to a 3 month growing season. Good luck, what have you got in the ground so far?
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin Sun May 27, 2012 7:59 pm

tlabbey wrote:Hi All,

I just moved to Casper Wyoming from San Diego California and missing my year round garden very badly Sad!!!!!!! I'm getting used to the cold and the snow so that is a plus and since I found this website am feeling very optimistic about having a wonderful garden here in my new home state Smile!!!!!!

I did square foot gardening and taught it to the children in my classes every year, when I was a teacher from 1996 to 2001 in South Africa and so was super excited when I came across this website and it gave me hope to be able to have a great garden here in Wyoming!!!! I would love to hear from others in my area, as to what they are doing in their gardens and when as I have no idea when to start planting!!!!! I have my seeds and bulbs ready in a box and am itching to get started planting Smile!!!!! I will be putting together my squares in the next week or tow and am doing all the planning right now and would love some input on what to start as seeds indoors and when and what to plant straight into the ground and when? And if there are any good community recourses I would love to know about those too!!!!

Happy gardening!
Hugs,
Tracy

Hi Tracy!

I live in Casper too. This is my first year for sfg and have 16" high raised beds because I can't crawl around on the ground anymore! I have everything planted now and am keeping all the beds under plastic domes until the weather stablizes. I hope your gardening is going well in your new home and welcome to Casper!
efirvin
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch Sun May 27, 2012 8:39 pm

I wish I was in Wyoming...fly fishing mecca.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down