Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!! Toplef10New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!! I22gcj10New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!! Toplef10New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!! I22gcj10New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!!

5 posters

Go down

New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!! Empty New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!!

Post  tlabbey 3/12/2011, 12:21 am

Hi All,

I just moved to Casper Wyoming from San Diego California and missing my year round garden very badly Sad!!!!!!! I'm getting used to the cold and the snow so that is a plus and since I found this website am feeling very optimistic about having a wonderful garden here in my new home state Smile!!!!!!

I did square foot gardening and taught it to the children in my classes every year, when I was a teacher from 1996 to 2001 in South Africa and so was super excited when I came across this website and it gave me hope to be able to have a great garden here in Wyoming!!!!

I introduced myself over in the Mountain Region Forum where I would find other fellow Zone 4 gardeners and hopefully others who are also SFGardening in the Wyoming area Smile!!!! I would love to hear from others in my area/zone or who have experience with this zone climate, as to what they are doing in their gardens and when as I have no idea when to start planting!!!!!

I have my seeds and bulbs ready in a box and am itching to get started planting Smile!!!!! I will be putting together my squares in the next week or two and am doing all the planning right now and would love some input on what to start as seeds indoors and when and what to plant straight into the ground and when? And if there are any good community recourses I would love to know about those too!!!!

Happy gardening Everybody!!!
Hugs,
Tracy
tlabbey

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!! Empty Re: New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!!

Post  Megan 3/12/2011, 7:55 am

Hi Tracy, welcome to the forum! glad you\'re here

Wow, sounds like you have a fantastic background experience with SFG already. I am excited to hear about your experiences with teaching it to kids. There are several people here on the forum who are actively working on plans to teach SFG to children.

Must be a shock going from San D to Wyoming. I got it the other way around.... I went from northern New England to Los Angeles! What a shocker. 4-season growing season, except the sun was vicious come summer. (I've since moved around to assorted other places and now in VA.) The good news for you is that even folks far to the north of you--our Canadian friends--do a wonderful job with their SFGs, so you can, too!

Last frost date info can be found here: https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t5433-us-last-frost-date-and-other-related-handy-links

Also, I think you might just be in the same zone as Middlemamma?
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!! Empty Re: New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!!

Post  Megan 3/12/2011, 9:32 am

Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 3/12/2011, 9:55 am

I know it's tough to wait for the snow to melt I'm itching to start planting myself bounce

One thing I'm trying for the first time this year is to grow tomatoes from seeds. In this area you have to plant the tomato plants after the first frost because the growing season is too short. In the past I've always bought the plants from a nursery, but we'll see if I can get some decent seedlings going! I'm probably post pictures soon.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!! Empty Hi Wyoming!

Post  grow4patty 3/12/2011, 2:12 pm

Just thought I'd say Hi since we used to live in Casper. Some of the happiest years of my life (in spite of the weather). Gardening was a challenge there, especially since we had a very small yard. I wish I had known about SFG back then (in the 1970's). But we managed to grow a few items every summer, nothing like the bounty brought to us by some neighbors.

The couple who lived next to us were the caretakers of a very large ranch outside town. She had the greenest thumb I had ever seen. She brought us bags and bags of produce from her garden--and that was the leftovers from feeding a bunch of workers out on the ranch.

I hope all your gardening efforts are very fruitful!
grow4patty

Back to top Go down

New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!! Empty Hi Everyone :)

Post  tlabbey 3/12/2011, 7:55 pm

Hi Everybody, thanx for the warm welcome Smile!!!!
tlabbey

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/12/2011, 10:45 pm

San Diego to Casper? Wow whattachange. However, if you have the SFG experience built up, you will find success up there, too. Happy plantings to you, and welcome aboard.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

New to Wyoming, have SFG before but in a very diff climate :)!!! Empty Yup it is a huge difference!!!!!! And thanx for the welcome :)!!!!!

Post  tlabbey 3/12/2011, 11:06 pm

Yup it is a huge difference!!!!!! And thanx for the welcome Smile!!!!!

I'm not worried about the actual gardening process etc just the weather as to what will survive, I did just read that if you build the canopies over the beads and create a "greenhouse" you could create your own climate per say but that I guess will have to be an experiment LOL!!!!

I am just so itching to get to planting and don't have a garage or space to do seedings so I feel very frustrated and itching to get started and just can not wait until I can start planting Smile!!! Hubby helped me map out where my beds are going to go tonight, so now for a whole change in design LOL as he wants me to put my beds in an enclosed dog run area that we have in our backyard that the previous tenants put it and is just a dead space to us as we do not use it, so now my beds are going from 6 - 4X4's to 9 - 4X2's Smile!!!!

I also read all about making a Worm tube tonight on here and am excited I'm going to get those made too this next week as I've always wanted to try worm composting Smile!!!!!

Come on warm weather, Spring you are supposed to be here now with daylights savings making us spring forward tomorrow, so come on sunshine and warm weather, I'm a waiting for ya Smile!!!!

Happy Gardening!!!
Tracy
tlabbey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum