Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
UK gardener with in shade garden :( Toplef10UK gardener with in shade garden :( 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

UK gardener with in shade garden :( I22gcj10UK gardener with in shade garden :( 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
UK gardener with in shade garden :( Toplef10UK gardener with in shade garden :( 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

UK gardener with in shade garden :( I22gcj10UK gardener with in shade garden :( 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

UK gardener with in shade garden :(

4 posters

Go down

UK gardener with in shade garden :( Empty UK gardener with in shade garden :(

Post  DreamsCatcher101 3/7/2011, 7:44 am

Hi everyone, I have been thinking about starting a veg garden in the uk and have decided to go with SFG Smile

I have a small north east facing garden which is in shade most of the time, by my house and the others around me. The back garden is fenced in with little sun and the front garden gets a lot of sun but is easily accessible to others on a busy school run road. Cant do it in the front because it wont last around here Sad

I think i will stick to the back garden and will be building a 2x10 corner bed against the fence, which is in shade all day, and 2 4x10 bed through the middle which gets some light. Which veg plants grow well in mostly shaded areas?

Does anyone know of any place i can get a planting plan for a 4x10 garden?

One more thing!!! Since in the uk we get a lot of cloud cover most of the year, does it really matter where you put the plants since it is diffused light anyway?
DreamsCatcher101

Male Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

UK gardener with in shade garden :( Empty Welcome

Post  ander217 3/7/2011, 9:37 am

Welcome to the forum, Dreamscatcher.

Lack of sunlight is very limiting for a garden. Most plants need a minimum of six hours per day, and some over ten or more. Your best bets will be plants grown for their leaves rather than fruits or seeds. So, lettuce, spinach, greens, etc. will grow better than tomatoes, peppers, or corn.

Miner's lettuce is supposed to do pretty well in shade, although I've never grown it myself. I think it is known by a different name in Europe but I can't recall it at the moment.

Try to place your bed so that it catches the maximum amount of light per day. Some people use white boards behind their boxes to reflect even more light to their plants.

Would you be able to use your front yard if you enclosed your box in some type of wire cage? Perhaps you could fit it with a lock so the cover could not be removed by others.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how your garden grows.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

UK gardener with in shade garden :( Empty Re: UK gardener with in shade garden :(

Post  DreamsCatcher101 3/9/2011, 8:52 am

Thanks for the welcome ander217

I think i might have to go with the
back yard anyway. The front is too small to do anything with
because of the driveway. I would probably be able to get 1 4x4 garden in
there, but in the back i could probably get about 10 4x4 boxes with space left over. But i'm only doing 1 4x10 box since that's all i can fit in the sunny spot. My garden has a lot of shade but 1 corner gets direct sun for about 5 maybe 6 hours a day. Well that's if you can call it direct sun in the uk, mostly cloudy most of the year. And when the sun gets higher in the sky the sunny spot will be in direct sun most of the day. I could improve this by making the box higher so the fence isn't in the way. I built my garden in sketchup last night to judge the sun angles and plan the garden.
Embarassed

I like the idea of the white boards behind the boxes.
UK gardener with in shade garden :( 109486 I'm building the box next week when i got some spare time and the white boards, maybe mylar (any reason i shouldn't?) will be part of the design now.

Anybody else plan gardens with sketchup??

Last edited by DreamsCatcher101 on 3/9/2011, 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Misspelling)
DreamsCatcher101

Male Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

UK gardener with in shade garden :( Empty Re: UK gardener with in shade garden :(

Post  LaFee 3/9/2011, 12:39 pm

Hi, DreamsCatcher, and welcome to the Forum! I'm LaFee, the host for Europe -- I'm in the Paris basin, so my weather's not too different from yours (we've had loads of sunshine this week, though!)

Here's the site I use to plan my boxes: http://www.vegetable-gardening-online.com/planning-a-garden-layout.html

It doesn't have everything, so I just use something that has the right density per square foot, then go back and label it. You can download it, but thus far I've only used the online version (which will let you save)
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/9/2011, 2:36 pm

Welcome from Maine in the USA.
I'm an Anglophile so love to read up on what you are doing in the UK.

I've heard that covering boards with aluminum foil reflects the suns rays effectively. I've never tried it myeslf but I might try it in my perennial garden this year where I plan to put a few tomato plants which will need more sun than available there.

good luck with your garden.

LaFee,
I like that garden plan. It has some crops on it that aren't in the one I'm using right now, like nasturtiums, asperagus. I might change over today with my plan.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down