Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? Toplef10Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? I22gcj10Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? Toplef10Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? I22gcj10Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth?

+6
CindiLou
ncolindres
camprn
Windmere
Coelli
audrey.jeanne.roberts
10 posters

Go down

Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? Empty Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/17/2013, 11:52 pm

We have most days in the summer at or above 95 degrees and a lot over 100. Last summer my garden made it through but I want to add shade cloth this year. What percentage sun block would be good to use and where is a good online source for it?

I'm thinking of checking out a local Fruit Grower's Supply Store to see what they have. I went to Lowe's and Home Depot over the weekend and all they had was heavy duty shade cloth and nothing for the bug protection tulle.

I'm outside of Fresno, CA for anyone local that might know of a good local resource.
Thanks in advance!
aj
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? Empty Re: Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth?

Post  Coelli 3/17/2013, 11:53 pm

I'm not sure how much regular row cover stuff is (for insect protection) but I just buy the 108" tulle at Joann Fabric. There's almost always a 40% off coupon available in email or snail mail which brings it down to $1.80/yd. Hope that helps!
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? Empty Actual tulle... LOL

Post  Windmere 3/18/2013, 12:15 am

When everyone talks about tulle, you all really mean tulle fabric. Here I was (dumb me) thinking it was a code word for some special garden fabric. There is a Joann's by my house (yay). Coelli is right: There are almost always 40% off coupons. An easy way to get one is to get on their e-mail list.

Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? Empty Re: Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/18/2013, 12:35 am

Well... my daughter and son-in-law just stopped by and they still have the tons of tulle from their wedding and I'm inheriting it so that one's solved :-)

Now about the shade cloth - I remember years ago Home Depot had varying % of blocking like maybe 30% sun blocked etc. Is there are recommended sunblocking % for growing full sun veggies but blocking the intensity of the sun here in the summer?
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/18/2013, 6:45 am

Nice about the tulle gift. Tulle should be going on sale soon (wedding season) at places like Joann's Fabrics.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  ncolindres 3/18/2013, 12:15 pm

Newbie question: Do you just use the tulle at night to keep away the bugs and take it off during the day to allow the bees to pollinate?
ncolindres
ncolindres

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/18/2013, 12:24 pm

I use the tulle all season on the brassicas. Also on the plants that need pollination, I will lift the netting for a few days, or maybe put a few bees under the netting.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 3/18/2013, 12:33 pm

For shade cloth, I went to garage sales and thrift stores and bought curtain sheers. Don't know what the % is but I know my tomatoes appreciated them last year.

Yup, tulle..love that stuff lol
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/18/2013, 12:46 pm

For shade cloth I mostly use cheescloth purchased from Jo-Ann's. You can cover with one layer, two or even three if you like depending on how much shade you want.
I've also used old sheer curtains I had packed away that I didn't think I'd ever use again.
Another way to shade plants is to use old window screens or snow fencing (it has slats) so that as the sun moves across the sky, it shades different parts of the plants thru the slats. Even a sheet of plywood works to give dense shade.

For insect protection light-weight row cover is made especially for the purpose. It, too, allows sunshine and rain to reach your plants. If a plant needs pollination, like strawberries, just toss the cover aside for a few days so the bees can do their thing. Cover at night against moths looking to lay eggs.

For things like broccoli, cauliflower, lettuces, greens, spinach that don't go to seed til the end of the season and don't need pollination during the growing season, you can keep the tulle or the row cover over the plants 24/7.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/18/2013, 6:29 pm

I do have some old sheers in the closet, I'll give those a shot. After all I've spent this year for "FREE" veggies, my sweet hubby will be thrilled I'm reusing the old stuff, LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 3/18/2013, 6:55 pm

I use shade cloth in the summer. I water early in the morning, and after work. Without shade cloth, or a mid-day watering, my plants wilt. I've used both 30% and 50% shade cloth. I can't remember what site I ordered from, but I searched for the cheapest.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 285

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 3/19/2013, 12:56 pm

I too need to prepare for the sun this coming summer. While investigating reasonably priced shade cloth, I found this website with knitted shade cloth! Some are coated with a reflective material.

http://www.gemplers.com/shop/shade-cloth
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/19/2013, 2:12 pm

I used window/door screens or burlap for shade. The screens work well when something is just starting out and is still small. Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? Aug_2410
Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? Aug_2710

Apparently the burlap also kept out the cabbage moth as I didn't even know there was such a thing til I took it off. Shocked
Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? July_110

Covering tomato box during heat wave. They only got straight morning sun and the rest of the day was filtered:
Recommended source for garden grade tulle and good shade cloth? Aug_7_11
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/30/2013, 6:04 pm

I found this thread again today. I missed a couple of the responses at the end. Thanks for the great information.

My lettuce has gone bitter overnight (90+ degree days will do that :-( ) Literally the salad we had last night was the best ever and the salad at lunch about killed both of us, LOL! I'm pulling plants and planting under the larger plants that will shade them.

I'm going to work on planting some window boxes with lettuce on my front patio. It's on the north side and we're going to be adding a misting system.

Looks like we'll be going pretty much straight to summer this year. Time to get ready for the misery!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down