Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... Toplef10Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... I22gcj10Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... Toplef10Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... I22gcj10Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy...

+5
shannon1
boffer
acara
miinva
duhh
9 posters

Go down

Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... Empty Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy...

Post  duhh 2/13/2011, 6:59 pm

I pruned my yellow pear tomato plants today. They were crazy bushy. I hope I didn't kill them! Having trouble adding pics on here right now, so I posted pics on my blog @

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Do you think they will survive their "haircut/buzzcut?"

I suggest keeping up on your pruning and pinching off suckers so you don't have to go through this. It was so hard to cut off big beautiful healthy branches. It had to be done, I couldn't see where the fruit was or tell which plant was which!
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

Back to top Go down

Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... Empty Re: Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy...

Post  miinva 2/13/2011, 9:14 pm

I bet they'll survive, tomatoes are tougher than they look! Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... Empty Re: Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy...

Post  acara 2/14/2011, 6:46 am

Doesn't look excessive at all ...I think you'll be fine
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 2/16/2011, 12:00 pm

Now that I can post pics again here they are so you don't have to be directed off the sfg site:

Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... 04911
Before pruning

Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... 05010
After pruning.

I guess it doesn't look at dramatic as I first though. I did cut away about 50 % of the plant, but it's been a couple days now and they didn't seem to notice. At least no my pepper plants can get some sun!
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 2/16/2011, 8:43 pm

I'm a "compulsive-cutter" by nature, to the point that my family does not allow me to touch anything in the yard (other than my tomatoes), without supervision.

At a minimum, I cut my tomatoes before transplanting, remove first buds, trim for suckers & disease daily and "top them" at the top of trellis/cage .... plus any maintance "thinning" that I feel necessary (if it's not load-bearing, doesn't grow vertical on the support & doesn't bear fruit .... it gets clipped).

You should be fine with the occasional "cut-back" ....at least as far as the tom's are concerned.
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 4/5/2011, 2:46 am

Here is an update on my toms. Didn't hurt them at all! I have prunned them at least another 3 times trying to keep them less bushy. They have lots and lots of fruit on them. Thats me back there. I'm 5'8

Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... P1010025

My next thought is to allow a new branch to come up from the bottom and as soon as the toms all ripen off of one of the taller branches, I'm going to chop it off. Just to see how it goes. They are getting way to big. This is the bed I planted before I read the whole book and regret not having the right trellis set up. All my newly planted beds are set up way better with 8ft trellis.
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 4/5/2011, 10:03 am

Yep ... once you "top off" the plant and get through your first harvest, you can start playing the "where do I want fruit" game with indeterminate toms.

I usually let a few selective suckers towards bottom/middle live, and train them out/up.

If yr using cages, I would start at the first ring from the bottom and go up to about 1' from the top. I also direct the new growth to the outside edges of the cage/trellis.

Normally by the second round of fruit, I can have the tomatos where I can see them all, access them easily as the develop and harvest them without a lot of reaching/bending.

The second wave typically bears beter/larger fruit for me too, since roots are established & there isn''t as much of a battle between plant growth and fruit development.
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... Empty I did it again!

Post  duhh 5/29/2011, 7:22 pm

I keep doing it (pruning) and doing it.. This time it is the most! The vines go so heavy the stings began breaking so I trimmed everything up and switched from twine to 550 cord. (something I had on hand)
Here is what they looked like on Wednesday.
Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... P1010416

Here is what they look like after I go through today! (sunday)
Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... P1010413

Still lots of toms. I knocked off and cut off tons of green toms, wich was hard to do, but needed to be done.
I now plan to let 1 or two new branches to come up and when the old ones run out of fruit, I will cut the whole thing off. Some branches are easily over 10 ft long!
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/29/2011, 8:46 pm

acara wrote:Yep ... once you "top off" the plant and get through your first harvest, you can start playing the "where do I want fruit" game with indeterminate toms.

I usually let a few selective suckers towards bottom/middle live, and train them out/up.

If yr using cages, I would start at the first ring from the bottom and go up to about 1' from the top. I also direct the new growth to the outside edges of the cage/trellis.

Normally by the second round of fruit, I can have the tomatos where I can see them all, access them easily as the develop and harvest them without a lot of reaching/bending.

The second wave typically bears beter/larger fruit for me too, since roots are established & there isn''t as much of a battle between plant growth and fruit development.

I'm only 3,000 miles away and don't understand a word of what you are saying. One of us must be on a different planet! thinking I'm still putting cloches on my toms at night. Second wave? Hrrmmph!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/30/2011, 1:55 am

acara wrote:I'm a "compulsive-cutter" by nature, to the point that my family does not allow me to touch anything in the yard (other than my tomatoes), without supervision.

At a minimum, I cut my tomatoes before transplanting, remove first buds, trim for suckers & disease daily and "top them" at the top of trellis/cage .... plus any maintance "thinning" that I feel necessary (if it's not load-bearing, doesn't grow vertical on the support & doesn't bear fruit .... it gets clipped).

You should be fine with the occasional "cut-back" ....at least as far as the tom's are concerned.
My neighbor friend says she is going to hide my snippers. Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... 889526
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 5/30/2011, 10:30 am

boffer wrote:
acara wrote:Yep ... once you "top off" the plant and get through your first harvest, you can start playing the "where do I want fruit" game with indeterminate toms.

I'm only 3,000 miles away and don't understand a word of what you are saying. One of us must be on a different planet! Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... 601593 I'm still putting cloches on my toms at night. Second wave? Hrrmmph!

I just planted mine two days ago! Not even time for a flower yet!
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 5/30/2011, 12:34 pm

I'll admit, I am amazingly blessed to live where I do it may be getting into the 100's, but these overly prunned plants are from Oct 2010. I was able to over winter them even though they got frosted at least 3 times! They are troopers, and so I want to see how long I can keep them going. I want to see if I can nurse them though the summer heat. sunny
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 5/30/2011, 9:58 pm

Boffer, I'll meet you in Arizona....tomato plants that were being pruned 7 months ago and are still going....
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/30/2011, 10:19 pm

You're on! Wait a sec...don't they also get the sci-fi movie bugs? Hmmm...tomato hornworms vs endless tomatoes...
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 5/30/2011, 10:23 pm

Ah, well, just another case of the tomato is always redder.....
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 5/31/2011, 7:19 am

I have Tomato Envy. Tomato pruning... I may have gone a little crazy... 889526
Tril
Tril

Female Posts : 198

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/31/2011, 10:42 am

I'm with you, Tril, just a few flowers to date on our tomatoes. Maybe I should have run a heating coil into the bottom of the tomato bed like Boffer. Sigh.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down