Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How much can I prune a tomato plant? Toplef10How much can I prune a tomato plant? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How much can I prune a tomato plant? I22gcj10How much can I prune a tomato plant? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How much can I prune a tomato plant? Toplef10How much can I prune a tomato plant? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How much can I prune a tomato plant? I22gcj10How much can I prune a tomato plant? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How much can I prune a tomato plant?

3 posters

Go down

How much can I prune a tomato plant? Empty How much can I prune a tomato plant?

Post  southern gardener 7/30/2012, 11:45 pm

I have a tomato plant that has gone wild! It's probably about 10 feet across, and is circular in size. There are hundreds and hundreds of blossoms and baby tomatoes, but nothing is ripening. I think the poor plant is spending all it's energy make blossoms, suckers, and more blossoms!! Should I prune it back/leave it alone? Will pruning make it start ripening the tomatoes? If I do prune, how much can I cut off without hurting the plant. It's starting to cover our walkways and sidewalk! Thank you for any help!! thanks
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

How much can I prune a tomato plant? Empty tomato plants gone crazy

Post  angel1237b 7/31/2012, 12:03 am

my tomato plants are doing the same thing...they are huge...i cut three crates of suckers off of them..and still hundreds of flowers and lots and lots of very green tomatoes...i am at a loss as to what to do now...good luck...i hope it all works out for us...it would be a shame for them not to ripen...
angel1237b
angel1237b

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

How much can I prune a tomato plant? Empty Re: How much can I prune a tomato plant?

Post  cheyannarach 7/31/2012, 5:28 pm

You can prune the suckers off but if they have blooms and tomatoes you will lose all the maters. I recently pruned all the large suckers off my plants (not nearly as large as yours though), then I put them all in a bucket of water for about a week then replanted as soon as a few roots formed, This was about two weeks ago that I trimmed them a week ago they were replanted and I already have a tomato on one of then. I don't know how much truth there is to this but someone told me that since the suckers have the same DNA as the mother plant they should continue fruiting in the same time frame as the mother plant. You need to post a picture of this gangbuster in the big stuff thread!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

How much can I prune a tomato plant? Empty Re: How much can I prune a tomato plant?

Post  southern gardener 7/31/2012, 6:08 pm

cheyannarach wrote:You can prune the suckers off but if they have blooms and tomatoes you will lose all the maters. I recently pruned all the large suckers off my plants (not nearly as large as yours though), then I put them all in a bucket of water for about a week then replanted as soon as a few roots formed, This was about two weeks ago that I trimmed them a week ago they were replanted and I already have a tomato on one of then. I don't know how much truth there is to this but someone told me that since the suckers have the same DNA as the mother plant they should continue fruiting in the same time frame as the mother plant. You need to post a picture of this gangbuster in the big stuff thread!

OK..will do about the pruning. I think the DNA thing might be right. I have been very successful with doing "suckers" and planting. they take off really well! I've given some to neighbors, and they say they are doing really well. I have sucker with fruit, and it's only about 1 1/2 feet tall with tomatoes. I will go take a picture of that monster before I hack it! LOL thanks for the info!

here is the pic. I hope it works. I was wrong, it's not 10' across, it's 12!! I put a water bottle in front for a reference Smile
How much can I prune a tomato plant? Hugeto10

Last edited by southern gardener on 7/31/2012, 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add picture)
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down