Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cheap Filler Toplef10Cheap Filler 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cheap Filler I22gcj10Cheap Filler 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cheap Filler Toplef10Cheap Filler 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cheap Filler I22gcj10Cheap Filler 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cheap Filler

5 posters

Go down

Cheap Filler Empty Cheap Filler

Post  jerzyjen 1/30/2011, 1:42 pm

Question for you good gardening folks...

I want to make my new boxes out of 10" tall boards (for aestetics), so I want to put a filler on the bottom 4", so I don't have to waste precious Mel's Mix. I am thinking of just putting down straw, then add the weed block, then Mel's Mix. I actually already did this to my strawberry boxes, but they are really small. If this is a bad idea, I don't want to repeat my mistake on the rest of the garden. I've got straw & sandy native soil already on hand, but the straw would definately be less labor intensive for me. Just wondering if there were any drawbacks, or if there was a better solution out there.

Suggestions welcomed Smile
jerzyjen
jerzyjen

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Cheap Filler Empty Re: Cheap Filler

Post  miinva 1/30/2011, 1:44 pm

I don't think straw will cause any problems, but it will break down. Using sandy native soil would last longer, I would think, and since it's sandy it wouldn't affect the draining of your Mel's Mix. I know it's more work on the front end of things, but I think you'll be pulling your dirt out and redoing it next year if you use the straw.
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/30/2011, 2:22 pm

jerzyjen wrote:Question for you good gardening folks...

I want to make my new boxes out of 10" tall boards (for aestetics), so I want to put a filler on the bottom 4" so I don't have to waste precious Mel's Mix. I am thinking of just putting down straw, then add the weed block, then Mel's Mix. I've got straw & sandy native soil already on hand, but the straw would definately be less labor intensive for me. Just wondering if there were any drawbacks, or if there was a better solution out there.

Suggestions welcomed Smile
If it were me, I would scrape off any plants or dig up grass where the box was going to go , omit the weed barrier, place the straw, water it, tamp it in then put in a good 7 inches of Mel's mix.
I would omit the weed barrier as when the straw decomposes, there will be a gap, but next year you can just mix the decomposed straw and added compost together. Also, with 10 inches of planting mix there's not a great likely hood of anything growing from the native dirt below. Just my $0.02. Good Luck! Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 1/30/2011, 3:25 pm

I would put the weed barrier down first and then put the straw on top. The reason I would put the weed barrier down first is because of the
grass in our areas that sends out runners EVERYWHERE and then come
shooting up where you don't expect it. Straw is great in compost so it will gradually break down and just be another type of compost in your MM, I think. The sandy soil might be an issue because of possible weed seeds in it. If you have time to compost the straw and the sandy soil, add some rotting kitchen or yard waste and a bag of the cheapest dog food you can find for some quick nitrogen boost and turn it every two or three days, keeping it moist. You should get some heat from that and have a fast batch of compost in about two or three weeks. That is what I would put in the bottom and then the MM on top. You may find it settles as it continues to decompose but in the fall you can add more of your own compost and peat moss to the mix to top it up.

I know SFG says you don't NEED a system that deep, but I am like you and like the looks of the deeper boxes and it also gives me more leeway for where I put my carrots, beets, etc. that need a deeper planting bed.

Not sure if that is totally correct or not, but that is what I would do. Best of luck.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  jerzyjen 1/30/2011, 3:35 pm

Good suggestions keep em comin!

I should clarify that this sand pile has been behind my shed for 4 years (when the house was built) and never seems to sprout any weeds from it (it may be sand from Mars? lol). I"m putting down my new beds over areas that have either had my old beds, or mulch layers down for the past 3 years. All that being said, I still like to play it safe with weed barrier, some of the weeds in my yard are virulent (my butterfly garden last year was completely overwhelmed by an infestation of STICKERBURRS! don't get me started Evil or Very Mad

I think the sound of just having they straw become part of the mix over time.....hmmmmmm
jerzyjen
jerzyjen

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 1/30/2011, 3:45 pm

I agree with Old Hippie, The straw would need composting first because when the wheat is harvested so are other weed plants and their seeds may be in the straw. These would then grow through the MM which is not what you want. If you leave a bale of straw out in the rain it will grow weeds on it.

As Camprn says 10" may be enough to stop weeds coming up but I would also put weed barrier down first just to be safe because it is a big job to put right once it is in place with plants growing if the weeds start to come through.

The other filler you could use is wood shavings or chippings, what do other forum members think about those? Which types of wood that are suitable?

I will be making my boxes 20" deep to save my back so will be interested to see some replies.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 1/30/2011, 3:59 pm

Wood shavings and wood chips might work too. I would give those a try too although they rob the soil of nitrogen as they continue decomposing so it is important to give extra nitrogen boosts of fertilizer to the plants throughout the growing season. Also, make sure you are just using wood shavings that do not have any toxins in them. We have mainly birch, pine and spruce here so those are the types that I use in my compost. I avoid treated woods, walnut and any of the more tropical woods that my husband may use in his wood shop because they can have chemicals in them that can affect plant growth. I save the cedar chips for in the pathways.

Mick, to save on the amount of soil mix or MM that you need, why not make raised boxes on legs. See "table top" gardening. There are several people on here who have done that. No point in wasting precious soil mix if you don't have to. I know I am going to have to start looking at that in the near future.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 1/30/2011, 4:06 pm

Old Hippie wrote:Wood shavings and wood chips might work too. I would give those a try too although they rob the soil of nitrogen as they continue decomposing so it is important to give extra nitrogen boosts of fertilizer to the plants throughout the growing season.

Would this still apply with the shavings being underneath and seperate from MM.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/30/2011, 4:11 pm

if I was to choose wood chips for bottom filler, I would use some of that pelletized fertilizer right on the wood chips before pouring in the Mel's Mix.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 1/30/2011, 4:42 pm

camprn wrote:if I was to choose wood chips for bottom filler, I would use some of that pelletized fertilizer right on the wood chips before pouring in the Mel's Mix.

Oh, great idea!

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down