Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I get to build boxes this weekend... Toplef10I get to build boxes this weekend... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I get to build boxes this weekend... I22gcj10I get to build boxes this weekend... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I get to build boxes this weekend... Toplef10I get to build boxes this weekend... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I get to build boxes this weekend... I22gcj10I get to build boxes this weekend... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I get to build boxes this weekend...

3 posters

Go down

I get to build boxes this weekend... Empty I get to build boxes this weekend...

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/28/2011, 3:32 pm

Flippin' YAY! Finally, I have the time, and the weather will, sort of, cooperate. I won't be putting soil in yet, but I can at least get the wood screwed together and get them in their respective places in the yard.

And, mine will be 8 inches deep. Not for any specific reason other than the 2x8's were cheaper than the 2x6's today...lol. Now, I can fluff those babies up to the rim and let things settle to be at least 6 inches. AND, my "deep" boxes only need to be made of 2x4's to get me 12 inches....even cheaper. Wow, I should change religions (no offense meant).

However, I do have one question I noticed while shopping......and it goes with my religion change. I noticed, when looking at the conduit for a trellis, that they also have PVC conduit. I don't think there's a difference between that and standard PVC, but the conduit is gray and cheaper...by about 25%!

Anyone have experience between the two? If not, I will give the gray stuff a shot.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

I get to build boxes this weekend... Empty Re: I get to build boxes this weekend...

Post  boffer 1/28/2011, 3:48 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:... I noticed, when looking at the conduit for a trellis, that they also have PVC conduit. I don't think there's a difference between that and standard PVC, but the conduit is gray and cheaper...by about 25%!...

Um, if I understand correctly...Generally, PVC comes in white for plumbing use, and gray for electrical use. The gray is UV resistant and supposedly will last longer. Pick the cheapest or your favorite color, either way, they'll work for gardening.

Depending on the size and shape of your trellis, PVC may not be the best choice. For larger trellises carrying heavier loads, you'll get better results using electrical EMT. That's the galvanized metal tubing.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

I get to build boxes this weekend... Empty Re: I get to build boxes this weekend...

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/28/2011, 5:39 pm

I didn't mean to confuse you into thinking I was going to use the PVC for a trellis. I was just looking at EMT and noticed the PVC conduit right above it. The PVC is for the hoop house I will be building soon.

The great part is the gray PVC is .95c for a 10' length. The white PVC is 1.35ish. I thought, "holy cow what a savings!!" When, in actuality, it's about $3....lol.

I'm tellin' ya I can pinch a penny so hard Lincoln's nose comes out his posterior.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/28/2011, 5:52 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:I'm tellin' ya I can pinch a penny so hard Lincoln's nose comes out his posterior.

And I used to squeeze a nickel hard enough to make the buffalo pass gas!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/28/2011, 6:33 pm

boffer wrote:
BackyardBirdGardner wrote:I'm tellin' ya I can pinch a penny so hard Lincoln's nose comes out his posterior.

Darn, you got me again. Matching wits with you is gonna be fun.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 1/28/2011, 6:36 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:
boffer wrote:

Darn, you got me again. Matching wits with you is gonna be fun.

Oh my, I laughed so hard I almost... lol.
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/29/2011, 8:28 pm

Here are my two boxes. Had the kiddos help me drag them into place today. I feel like such a tard, though. I always have things overly planned out and go and wreck myself with the overthinking. Envision the village idiot out in the back yard with lincoln log looking boxes dragging them around like he's rearranging his living room. Envision that, and you accurately saw the video of my afternoon.

At one point, I looked up to see the wife on the deck scratching her head. I'm pretty sure she was wondering if she married a man or a monkey. But, whatevs...she's stuck now. (She actually came down to give her two cents...I like to embellish a bit.)

BEFORE..
I get to build boxes this weekend... 5398188803_a98a779aff_z

AFTER...
I get to build boxes this weekend... 5398189525_68c8242fd2_z

That is a 2x8 inside a 4x12....only took 5 pieces of lumber....3 2x8x12's and 2 2x8x8's. And, the 8inch lumber ran cheaper than the 6inch.....oops I already mentioned that. But, hey, I am still psyched over saving the couple bucks and getting a couple more inches. (If only everything else in life adhered to that rule........I'm talking boats people....get those minds out of the gutters.) Wink
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/29/2011, 8:43 pm

I'm thinking you'd better plan on making a little extra MM to account for that outward bow in the one long board! :whistle:

boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/29/2011, 9:31 pm

Funny thing about "saving money." Sometimes it actually costs you.

I get excited about saving some duckets on wood, and of course realized my MM calcs were based on 6" beds. Now, I have to supply 2 more inches across my beds. Translated into volume, thats another 5.333 cu ft of MM I have to make/buy.

Looks like the net savings of $3 is really going to cost me another several bucks.

So, who needs an accountant this season? I am volunteering my services.....and slide-ruler.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down