Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 Toplef10Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 I22gcj10Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 Toplef10Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 I22gcj10Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Today at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes?

+7
Patty from Yorktown
Goosegirl
Old Hippie
miinva
camprn
Megan
ander217
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 Empty Re: Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes?

Post  Megan 2/20/2011, 10:06 pm

CarolynPhillips wrote:Poor Megan Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 277611 OUCH
Hope that soups good.

Update: My dear, veggie-hating hubby is now scarfing down the broccoli soup. So I guess it was worth it!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 Empty Re: Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes?

Post  Old Hippie 2/20/2011, 10:44 pm

[quote="Megan"

Update: My dear, veggie-hating hubby is now scarfing down the broccoli soup. So I guess it was worth it![/quote]

.....probably because of the "meaty" flavour you added to it! What a Face

Gwynn

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 90640
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 2/21/2011, 12:16 am

Oh ouch...I hate it when I do stuff like that.

Heal fast!

Jen

Mmmmmm, broccoli soup sounds yummy.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 2/21/2011, 7:18 am

Lemon balm goes well on chicken. Just chop up a bunch and sprinkle it over the chicken for a lemon flavor. Lemon Balm is a member of the mint family.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/21/2011, 7:20 am

CarolynPhillips wrote:Bee Balm
So how do you use Bee Balm as an Herb?......... Have no idea what I am going to use it in.(dishes) I don't have much experience with fresh home grown herbs from the gardens.

Here's a link with some ideas for Bee Balm. If I had known this before I ripped mine out, I wouldn't have! Bee Balm (Monarda) is a mint relative, so keep that in mind when planting (containing) this possibly (probably) invasive beauty! It also invigorates tomatoes - both their growth and their flavor - so put it near your tommy-toes and get some extra flavor!

http://www.gardensablaze.com/HerbBeeBalmRec.htm

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 Empty Finger foods?

Post  ander217 2/21/2011, 7:51 am

Didn't realize broccoli soup was a finger food, Megan. Shocked Hope you heal fast.

Hubby is making final plans for my new herb bed. We still have some of the 3' x 3' x 6' timbers left, and he plans to stack three of those together to make a 2' x 8' x 9" bed. We plan to use rice hulls in the bottom as filler.

So here's my question. If we have all but six inches of this bed in rice hulls, and herbs do not need rich soil, should we still use "full-strength" MM for the top six inches? Or should we use all MM in the bed since some of the herbs will put down deeper roots? Or should we dilute the MM on the top layer with some extra peat, or maybe add a smaller layer of MM and use more rice hulls?

I plan to transplant my chives, sage, rosemary, biergarten sage, Greek oregano, French tarragon, and marjoram to the bed. I still need to grow thyme, and intend to plant my parsley in this bed as well. That leaves one spot open for something else. Any ideas? I was thinking about planting alpine strawberries along one side. Is that a good idea? I've never grown them before, but one edge of the bed is in partial shade and I thought they might do okay there.

Thanks for any advice.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/21/2011, 9:09 am

thank you for the link Goosegirl.
Interesting how bee balm is a companion for tomatoes.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/21/2011, 2:50 pm

ander217 wrote:Didn't realize broccoli soup was a finger food, Megan. Shocked Hope you heal fast.

Hubby is making final plans for my new herb bed. We still have some of the 3' x 3' x 6' timbers left, and he plans to stack three of those together to make a 2' x 8' x 9" bed. We plan to use rice hulls in the bottom as filler.

So here's my question. If we have all but six inches of this bed in rice hulls, and herbs do not need rich soil, should we still use "full-strength" MM for the top six inches? Or should we use all MM in the bed since some of the herbs will put down deeper roots? Or should we dilute the MM on the top layer with some extra peat, or maybe add a smaller layer of MM and use more rice hulls?

I plan to transplant my chives, sage, rosemary, biergarten sage, Greek oregano, French tarragon, and marjoram to the bed. I still need to grow thyme, and intend to plant my parsley in this bed as well. That leaves one spot open for something else. Any ideas? I was thinking about planting alpine strawberries along one side. Is that a good idea? I've never grown them before, but one edge of the bed is in partial shade and I thought they might do okay there.

Thanks for any advice.

My perrenial herbs (rosemary, thyme and oregano) are planted in a huge 26 inch pot that is 24 inches deep filled with straight Mel's Mix. They are doing very well. On my porch, I have a newer 24 inch bowl about 10 inches deep (round foot garden) filled with Mel's Mix and am growing a smaller rosemary, thyme, oregano, a pitiful sage that I forgot to plant until around October last fall, as well as garlic chives. Again, they are all doing well.
Flat leaf parsley is growing extremely well in two of my Rose Pots by accident as I had used the Mel's Mix before in a half barrel that fell apart, and the parsley had gone to seed before I re-used the MM to fill the Rose Pots.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/21/2011, 5:53 pm

My bee balm struggled for a couple of years before finally doing well last year. I hope it comes back. While it does have sort of a mint-y habit, it hasn't spread. (Yet?)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/22/2011, 8:46 am

Megan wrote:
Goosegirl wrote: I want to get pictures of the MESS my yard is in right now (didn't even clean up last fall) and what it is when I am done setting up SFG.

Bwahahah, that is exactly what I did in my Megan's 2011 Garden thread. The grand mess of my backyard shame is laid out for all to see. Now I *HAVE* to fix it! Very Happy

New (to me) digital camera scheduled for delivery on 2-24-11. Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 53366 As soon as I figure out how to work it the embarrassment will begin! Embarassed

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 Empty Herb flavor?

Post  ander217 2/22/2011, 1:51 pm

I'm no herb expert, but everything I read says that herbs should be grown in poorer soil with plenty of sunshine to intensify the flavor of the oils. If they are grown in soil that is too rich they grow tall but have little scent or flavor.

Rich soil is fine for herbs that are being grown for their flowers.

That is why I wondered if herbs grown in MM have good flavor. My old herb bed was formerly lawn and we didn't add any amendments to it before transplanting the herbs. Everything grew well in it except thyme. My rosemary and lavender didn't do well until I added lime to their side of the bed, and then they took off. I read they need a higher ph than the other herbs, and that really made a difference.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/22/2011, 5:38 pm

My thyme is planted on top of what used to be soil but now is basically decayed bark mulch about 5-6" deep or more. So is my sage and my rosemary. All are booming. (The thyme and rosemary are happier now that it is on irrigation, though. The sage seems to be indifferent.)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/22/2011, 8:27 pm

ander217 wrote:That is why I wondered if herbs grown in MM have good flavor. My old herb bed was formerly lawn and we didn't add any amendments to it before transplanting the herbs. Everything grew well in it except thyme. My rosemary and lavender didn't do well until I added lime to their side of the bed, and then they took off. I read they need a higher ph than the other herbs, and that really made a difference.

I use my thyme, oregano, chives and rosemary that grow in MM, frequently and they taste just fine, but I guess if it is the only source of herbs I am using, I might not have noticed a less intense flavor.

I have not used my sage since replanting in MM
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 Empty Thanks

Post  ander217 2/23/2011, 7:07 am

Thanks, Furbalsmom, and everyone else, too. It sounds as though using straight MM is the way to go in the new herb bed.

Megan, I never irrigated my old bed. I wonder if that's why I could never get thyme to live over the summer? That should be much easier to do in the new bed.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/23/2011, 7:11 am

ander217 wrote:Megan, I never irrigated my old bed. I wonder if that's why I could never get thyme to live over the summer? That should be much easier to do in the new bed.

My thyme lived several years with no irrigation aside from whatever rain and a rare, absent-minded spray from the hose. But it really perked up and did better (and spread) with more water. Good luck with your new bed!

My experience with sage is that it tends to prefer fairly poor soil.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/23/2011, 8:10 am

Megan wrote:
ander217 wrote:Megan, I never irrigated my old bed. I wonder if that's why I could never get thyme to live over the summer? That should be much easier to do in the new bed.

My thyme lived several years with no irrigation aside from whatever rain and a rare, absent-minded spray from the hose. But it really perked up and did better (and spread) with more water. Good luck with your new bed!

My experience with sage is that it tends to prefer fairly poor soil.

Hmmm, never really thought of it before, but the entire state of NV pretty much supports your sage theory! First time I rode a 4-wheeler through the desert (and over much sage brush) the incredible smell kept me thinking 'chicken for dinner sounds good!' Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 211713

(not intended to offend any NV gardeners! Just that my relatives out there who garden can't grow ANYTHING without mass amounts of fertilizer - but they are not SFG'ers - I should work on converting them to MM!)

Last edited by Goosegirl on 2/23/2011, 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Apology if I offended any NV gardeners!)
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/23/2011, 9:50 am

Goosegirl wrote:Hmmm, never really thought of it before, but the entire state of NV pretty much supports your sage theory! First time I rode a 4-wheeler through the desert (and over much sage brush) the incredible smell kept me thinking 'chicken for dinner sounds good!'

Goosegirl, I was on a first-name basis with hundreds and thousands of sagebrush plants when I was driving a U-Haul truck from Washington state east to the Dakotas and thence parts east. (Darn engine governors... hit a hill and you're at 20 m.p.h. maximum! Hello sage bush, nice to meet you. Plod-plod-plod. Oh, nice to meet your pal, also known as sage bush! Plod-plod-plod.....)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/23/2011, 9:58 am

funny post rofl

Just image how those who first went west felt, and there were no restrooms, the sage brush WAS the restroom.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/23/2011, 10:20 am

Brings an entirely new meaning to the phrase "minty fresh!", now then, doesn't it?
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/23/2011, 10:27 am

TMI!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/23/2011, 1:01 pm

Megan wrote:Brings an entirely new meaning to the phrase "minty fresh!", now then, doesn't it?

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? - Page 2 262465
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2