Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 Toplef10Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 I22gcj10Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 Toplef10Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 I22gcj10Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates

+19
FarmerValerie
boffer
Megan
walkaboutgirl
Old Hippie
nancy
Icemaiden
miinva
Furbalsmom
camprn
walshevak
Lavender Debs
LaFee
kimbertangleknot
quiltbea
CarolynPhillips
Chopper
ander217
jumiclads
23 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 Empty Re: Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates

Post  jumiclads 3/27/2011, 2:54 pm

Well here are the pictures I promised you.

First here are the two new GardenSkill 10" - 4'x4' raised beds from www.earthbox.co.uk which I set up this afternoon. It took me about 20 minutes to get each ready. I have planted the first 5 squares with Radish, Parsnip, Carrot, Beetroot and root parsley.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010416

Then I made up 11 potato bags in which I planted 4 seed potatoes in each and 2 bags with Oca's in.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010417

This is the new greenhouse we made up over the past few weeks. Had to do a few alterations as it is a lean-to and I had nothing to lean it against. It has worked out better though because I will be able to put some high trellises up against the back wall to grow melons etc. up. I have re-sown the seed trays with all my seeds as I did with the growlight centre. These should be up in a few days. I have also put a raised bed frame in the greenhouse ready for when I plant inside.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010418
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010419
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010420
jumiclads
jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 Empty Re: Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates

Post  FarmerValerie 3/27/2011, 3:13 pm

OOOOOOOOO AAAAAHHHHHHH, as my kids say SWEET.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 3/27/2011, 3:55 pm

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 959632

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 Empty RE: Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates

Post  Goosegirl 3/27/2011, 4:25 pm

Old Hippie wrote:Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 959632

Gwynn

+1
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/27/2011, 5:12 pm

I don't know about the rest of you, but I had no idea what an Oca is.

OCA

The following is a snip from wiki

Oca can be boiled, baked or fried. In the Andes it is used in stews and soups, served like potatoes or can be served as a sweet. Oca is eaten raw in Mexico with salt, lemon, and hot pepper

The stem tubers of oca form in the ground in the autumn. These are commonly boiled before eating although they can also be eaten raw. The leaves and young shoots can be eaten as a green vegetable. Introduced to Europe in 1830 as a competitor to the potato and to New Zealand as early as 1860, it has become popular in that country under the name New Zealand yam and is now a common table vegetable. It is also widely known in the Polynesian islands of the South Pacific under the name yam
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 3/27/2011, 5:38 pm

What type of bags did you use for your potatoes and Oca?
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 3/27/2011, 5:49 pm

They are a thick black polythene with good drainage holes in the bottom. They hold about 40 litres of compost.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 3/27/2011, 7:23 pm

Where did you get them? Are they for sale at garden centres?

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 3/27/2011, 8:01 pm

Hi Gwynn, I got them on ebay UK, this is the Link

He only ships to the UK on the listing but you could always ask them for a quote to ship to you.

Also now you know what they are you may be able to find them nearer to you.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/27/2011, 8:12 pm

Here is a source in the US

homeharvest.com/containergardenpotsplastic

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 4/9/2011, 7:09 pm

What a start!!!

I put all my seeds in the seed trays with covers on and left them to germinate which they did within a couple of days. I never knew I was supposed to take the covers off as soon as they germinate so guess what, damping off killed nearly all of them. The ones that survived are doing reasonably well but are not going to be used unless they look right. I think I will have enough to fill the greenhouse and a few for the raised beds. I think I have got the hang of watering without flooding them so they don't dry out too quick as well. Phew what a challenge that is.

I have now got 3 - 8x4 raised beds with one planted and the other 2 waiting for plants or next round of seeds. I put 30mm copper tape all round to prevent the slugs which seemed a good idea at the time until I happened across a Youtube video showing a lady watching a slug casually slither across the tape. Laughing

23 bags of potatoes planted, 1st & 2nd earlies and main crop. Along with the 2 Oca's I told you I had planted already.

When I get something that is worth looking at I will post some pics for you all to see.

I suppose the next seeds to sow will be my 2 squares of Nantes Carrots on the 15th.

Oh and one of the Bearded Collies thought it was great fun jumping in and running round one of the beds. Good job it was one of the empty ones or we would have had a good mix up of seeds.

More to follow in a few days, fingers crossed. Rolling Eyes
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 4/15/2011, 1:21 pm

Well, this week has been better. Quite a few of the seeds in the greenhouse damaged by damping off have survived and are making good progress.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010411
Remembering that all rows should be full with the same seedlings in this tray. Starting on the top row, vine tomatoes, bush tomatoes, basil, spring onions and pole beans. I have replanted the empty cells in all trays and they should start showing themselves soon.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010412
First 2 rows should be full of lettuce and the rest are strawberries that all perished.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010413
First 2 rows should be brassicas, then a row of pole beans, a row of parsley and then 2 cucumber plant. You can see the damage to the leaves on the 2 cucumber but they seem ok now the new leaves are coming.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010414
In this tray the large leaves are from the top, Cantaloupe melon, water melon and zucchini. The rest of the cells are onion and leeks. Lost a few in this tray but the rest seem fine now.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010415
On a high note the potatoes are doing great soon be time to top the bags up a bit.
Then, down again. In the raised beds most of the brassica family of plants have been rubbish, I have put this down to the soil conditioner having too much wood in it, robbing the nitrogen, and I told the company (Scott) who make miracle grow and they said it was but it was my fault for not following the instructions on the bag and putting too much in. Not so I told them I actually put less, not had a reply to that one though. Decided to leave well alone though as they are starting to pick up now. As you can see from the pics, the radishes did not do very well and the spring cabbage are still a bit yellow, but the broccoli has darkened off and are looking good.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010416
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010417
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010418

And lastly I thought I would just throw in a new pic showing the rest of the raised beds now they are up and running.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010419

How does that saying go "Things can only get better"
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/15/2011, 5:14 pm

This may be a slower start than you had hoped, but it is growing! cheers

The potato bags are looking good. The outside beds look good too.

Here's to things getting better and soon Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 433311
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/15/2011, 7:25 pm

Mick, that is absolutely amazing!! My goodness, Man, you have done a fabulous job. I went back to your first couple of posts and looked at the first photos you posted of what the yard looked like before you started and what is like now. The difference is is incredible. Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 5571 Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 593714

Even though you are hitting a few snags with the planting that will come soon enough. In the meantime you can be so very proud of what you achieved.

I love the green of your boxes with the stained fence and grids. Looks gorgeous. That is the colour/paint consultant coming out in me. LOL!

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 4/29/2011, 4:32 am

Would you believe it. I went down the garden this morning and something had walked all over my beds and left great big animal footprints. I can only think it must have been a fox.

It had dug a hole right where I had planted my Nantes carrots and deposited something in the hole and buried it. So, I got my shovel and started digging and get what I found? 2 Iced Buns, yes you read right, I didn't believe what I was seeing. I had to laugh.

Needless to say I think the carrots will be growing in different places now when I can find out where I will let you know.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 6/7/2011, 2:29 pm

Hi everyone, It has been a while since I posted an update. Mainly because things were not going as planned. I finally got the garden finished and planted a few beds with seeds. I planted a whole bed of brassicas and one of maize. Not one seed came up. Who knows why, not me. So I bought some new maize seeds and tried again, this time I planted in a tray and they germinated in a couple of days and are new about 2 inches high. As for the brassicas I re sown them in another bed of 3rd June and they are up already.

Here are my latest pictures of the garden cos I know how you all love pictures.

Potatoes in the foreground are doing great. I dug down a bit and found one around 2 inches long. They should be ready to start harvesting in around 3 weeks I think
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010710

The 5 new beds which have been double dug and strung up in squares and started planting.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010711
This bed had the brassicas in which were not growing compared to the ones below so I moved them today into the end on the first new bed.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010712

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010714

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010713

Radishes just poking their first leaves up after 3 days in the new bed.

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010716

Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010718

Peas, radish, lettuce and beetroot. Also my Nantes carrots which somehow survived after a fox dug them up to bury an iced bun.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010719

Lettuce and radish growing in the new beds.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010715

This bed has an assortment of root vegetables and bush beans across the back, but not very pleased with their progress.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010810
Pole beans look a bit sorry, here's hoping they will pick up soon.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010811

Tomato plants with their first flowers on. I can't believe how many flower buds there are on the vine plant trusses. There must be over 200 on each, no kidding.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010812

These are the melons and cucumber plants which are doing well but only seem to have female flowers on.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010813

A Zuccini which I planted in the greenhouse which I wish I had planted outside now. Never mind.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010814

This sowing of maize is doing better than the first one and I will get them in the beds over the next couple of weeks and pray for good weather to help them on their way.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010815

These are a few strawberry plants I have grown from seed which will be planted into the empty bed above. There are 3 different types, red, yellow and white.
Jumiclads SFG - Well here goes - with updates - Page 5 P1010817
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 6/7/2011, 2:35 pm

WOW! Look at all that stuff...I love it! Good job, keep taking photos to update us, OK? Ya know we all love photos!!
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/7/2011, 3:34 pm

I really enjoyed reading this thread today right from the begining. Such a lot of hard work you have put into it, you deserve much success.

From reading your comments you have also learned a lot. Look forward to to following your progress.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 6/8/2011, 2:49 pm

I am pleased you are enjoying my thread. I will try to put more photos on next week when the new bed is showing its goods.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 6/15/2011, 3:03 am

jumiclads wrote:I am pleased you are enjoying my thread. I will try to put more photos on next week when the new bed is showing its goods.

Make that in a couple of weeks. They don't grow that quick. Very Happy
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/15/2011, 7:44 am

Your beds and greenhouse are beautiful! Great job!
GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 3/7/2012, 6:02 pm

Hi everyone, long time no speak. I had a fairly successful year with the garden and produced quite a lot of good vegetables. I produced thousands of tomatoes, lettuce was the best I have ever tasted. I couldn't believe how fresh and tasty it was. Most of the cabbages and Brussels were eaten by critters but hey I am not too keen on them anyway. I mostly produced good crops of Toms, Lettuce, Beetroot, french beans and radishes. Most of the other crops I grew failed miserably but it makes it more of a challenge this year.

That's the end of this topic. I will start a new one as soon as I get started this year on the garden.

Everything is changing so keep watching.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/7/2012, 6:15 pm

Thanks for the update, Mick. We always like to know how things turn out.

You have made a good start and I am sure it will be even better this year.Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5