Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries Toplef10Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries I22gcj10Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List!
by Kelejan Today at 1:11 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by markqz Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» New England, December, 2019
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:07 pm

» Steam canning?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:47 pm

» De Jours 18 Radish
by markqz Yesterday at 4:11 pm

» Gardening Life hack - fixing bucket handles
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:05 pm

» Serrano Peppers
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:40 pm

» Is this the right place?
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:47 pm

» ROOKIE TOPIC XVII Seed Starting Dates
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:15 am

» TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer
by Scorpio Rising 12/6/2019, 8:37 pm

» Hydrogen Peroxide
by sanderson 12/6/2019, 5:36 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 12/6/2019, 1:23 pm

» Bee Balm
by countrynaturals 12/6/2019, 9:34 am

» Hi I’m new
by AtlantaMarie 12/6/2019, 6:47 am

» Friday Rookie Topic XIV: Potato Onions
by countrynaturals 12/5/2019, 8:03 pm

» Mid-South: December
by sanderson 12/5/2019, 2:30 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/5/2019, 12:58 pm

» What are your best Greenhouse tips for a first timer?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2019, 10:54 am

» Container Gardening
by countrynaturals 12/5/2019, 10:06 am

» new member needs help
by Dan in Ct 12/5/2019, 9:56 am

» Brand new in SW Idaho
by AtlantaMarie 12/5/2019, 8:48 am

» What, no French Fries?
by Kelejan 12/5/2019, 6:19 am

» N&C Midwest: November/December 2019!
by Scorpio Rising 12/4/2019, 11:02 pm

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing October to December 2019
by Kelejan 12/4/2019, 7:07 pm

» Fifth Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan 12/4/2019, 6:30 pm

» Greenhouse Dollhouse
by sanderson 12/4/2019, 6:13 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by sanderson 12/4/2019, 5:35 pm

» Potato Seeds, not Seed Potatoes
by sanderson 12/4/2019, 5:06 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 12/4/2019, 5:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries

Go down

Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries Empty Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries

Post  Furbalsmom on 12/16/2010, 7:43 pm

I just bought the cutest Christmas Tree shaped Rosemary plant fromTrader Joe's. I plan to give them as hostess gifts to the lovely lady that is putting up with us for Christmas.

Now, why can't I make my own? Has anyone tried to do this with rosemary plants? (hint hint Acara and anyone else who works with topiaries) study

It just seems like it would not be that hard to take some small Rosemary plants this spring to prepare for next Christmas. Rosemary grows well as a perennial here in OR.

Anyone have experience or suggestions?
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141
Join date : 2010-06-10
Age : 72
Location : Coastal Oregon, Zone 9a, Heat Zone 2 :(

Back to top Go down

Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries Empty Re: Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries

Post  acara on 12/16/2010, 10:27 pm

They are very easy to make.

The hard way to do it is a free-form shaping, as they grow.

The easy way, is to use the same plastic netting that they use for Christmas trees..... or use an empty lemon/lime netting bag from the grocery store.

Simply slip the netting over the Rosemary bush, like you would a sock/sleeve/stocking, trim off the excess from the end, gather & tie the top to give it the taper and then trim what "pokes out" of the netting. One your done, simply slit the netting down the side to remove.

Depending on how much you stuffed in the stocking, you usually end up with the general shape of a Christmas tree and just have to do some minor trimming to get the "stragglers".

Finish it off with wrapping foil/paper around the pot and add a small ornamental bow/beads/decoration.

I'm sure there is probably some wildly overpriced mandrel/form on the internet somewhere .... but the topiaries reallly arent that tough to do without them.

Rosemary is what most folks use to start learning how to make topiaries .... grows fast, easy to work with, etc.

If you really want some fun, find one of those illuminated wicker or wire reindeers from Walmart in the trash piles after Christmas, and use it as a grow-form for your Rosemary. When you get close the Christmas next year, just cut away the form with a Dremel tool and you have the best smelling, lifesize reindeer topiary for your Christmas decoration !!!!!!!
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012
Join date : 2010-08-27
Age : 50
Location : Wesley Chapel, Florida (Zone 9)

Back to top Go down

Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries Empty Re: Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries

Post  acara on 12/16/2010, 10:58 pm

Actually Furbalsmom .... since your West Coast ...

If you like doing the "topiary-thing" with Rosemary .... one of the best "cheater sites" Very Happy , is etopiary.com

All of the cool, young & lazy topiary punks (like me) buy from them, in order to make ourselves look more dedicated/talented than we really are ....



Shhhhh ..... it's a secret ...LOL

Seriously though ... anything with a single-strand base is meant to be stuffed with moss and then pin-planted, but you can "live-grow" any of the other forms with stuff like rosemary , Texas Sage, Japanese boxwood, etc
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012
Join date : 2010-08-27
Age : 50
Location : Wesley Chapel, Florida (Zone 9)

Back to top Go down

Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries Empty Re: Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries

Post  boffer on 12/16/2010, 11:01 pm

@acara wrote:If you really want some fun, find one of those illuminated wicker or wire reindeers from Walmart in the trash piles after Christmas, and use it as a grow-form for your Rosemary.
OK, I will! I've been sitting on a deer for a couple years-I guess it's time to do something with it. I hadn't heard of using Rosemary. Should the front legs go in a pot, and the back legs go in another pot?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 66
Location : yelm, wa, usa

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries Empty Re: Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries

Post  Furbalsmom on 12/17/2010, 12:46 am

@acara wrote:They are very easy to make.

The hard way to do it is a free-form shaping, as they grow.

The easy way, is to use the same plastic netting that they use for Christmas trees..... or use an empty lemon/lime netting bag from the grocery store.

Simply slip the netting over the Rosemary bush, like you would a sock/sleeve/stocking, trim off the excess from the end, gather & tie the top to give it the taper and then trim what "pokes out" of the netting. One your done, simply slit the netting down the side to remove.

Depending on how much you stuffed in the stocking, you usually end up with the general shape of a Christmas tree and just have to do some minor trimming to get the "stragglers".

Finish it off with wrapping foil/paper around the pot and add a small ornamental bow/beads/decoration.

I'm sure there is probably some wildly overpriced mandrel/form on the internet somewhere .... but the topiaries reallly arent that tough to do without them.

Rosemary is what most folks use to start learning how to make topiaries .... grows fast, easy to work with, etc.

If you really want some fun, find one of those illuminated wicker or wire reindeers from Walmart in the trash piles after Christmas, and use it as a grow-form for your Rosemary. When you get close the Christmas next year, just cut away the form with a Dremel tool and you have the best smelling, lifesize reindeer topiary for your Christmas decoration !!!!!!!

We will let Boffer play with the reindeer.
I am a little more simple minded, so it sounds like a plan to make Christmas Trees. I usually have lemon/lime bags on hand (for my lemon drops, mohitos, and margaritas) I am always on the look-out for easy ways to do things. This sounds easy enough I may just as well cut some rosemary starts from my big bush out front and get going. Just a few snips early on to make the cutting bushy then wait until late fall to finish up for Christmas. I must put this on my calendar so I don't wake up Christmas Morning and then remember what I was supposed to do in the Spring and then again at Thanksgiving.

thanks for the info.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141
Join date : 2010-06-10
Age : 72
Location : Coastal Oregon, Zone 9a, Heat Zone 2 :(

Back to top Go down

Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries Empty Re: Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries

Post  acara on 12/17/2010, 6:31 am

@boffer wrote:
@acara wrote:If you really want some fun, find one of those illuminated wicker or wire reindeers from Walmart in the trash piles after Christmas, and use it as a grow-form for your Rosemary.
OK, I will! I've been sitting on a deer for a couple years-I guess it's time to do something with it. I hadn't heard of using Rosemary. Should the front legs go in a pot, and the back legs go in another pot?

Yes, you can do the pots on he individual legs, or build 1 rectangular box that has a plant growing at the base of each leg.

Or you can "cheat" Twisted Evil

1) Get some Spaghnum moss (available in the Orchid section of most Nurseries), soak it in water overnight and stuff the legs of the form (and any other wierd places on a form that you think would be too difficult, or narrow, to grow in). Soaking the spaghnum makes it much more maleable/formable & allows you to compact it in the frame. For tough areas, you can wrap the stuffed part of the fram in light-test monofilament (fishing line).

2) Take sheet moss (same availability as above) or a coir pot/liner and mount a soil-nest in a low point of the frame (offset to the non-visible side of the figure).

3) Add growing medium (Mel's Mix would probably be ideal for this)

(Optional) Not ony do I cheat, but I'm lazy & forgetful .... so I usually run a low-volume irrigation line, with a disconnect (in case I want to move the topiary around) up the base of the topiary, to the soil nest. I also use a spray mister head at the end of the line. This allows me to plug the topiary into my existing automatic irrigation system and I dont have to remember to keep watering the topiary.

4) Plant your Rosemary & let it grow (number of plants needed will be based on size of your frame, variety of plant your using etc)...trim as needed when it gets outside the frame.

5) When you are ready to display, take a water bottle, fill with water and add green food coloring. Spray the areas you filled with spaghnum. Once the spaghnum dries, you can decide if you need to apply more coats (to get a shade of green that matches the color of the plants you used). If your not looking for perfection ...just dump the whole bottle of food coloring into your spray bottle & you can "make it green" in one coat.

Boffer, sometimes the bigger stuff, or bulky shapes requires an alternate method that uses a vining plant, instead of something like Rosemary.....if you send/PM me a pic of what your looking to use as a grow-frame, I can tell you which way would work best for you.
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012
Join date : 2010-08-27
Age : 50
Location : Wesley Chapel, Florida (Zone 9)

Back to top Go down

Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries Empty Re: Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries

Post  acara on 12/17/2010, 6:47 am

@Furbalsmom wrote:
This sounds easy enough I may just as well cut some rosemary starts from my big bush out front and get going. Just a few snips early on to make the cutting bushy then wait until late fall to finish up for Christmas.
for the info.

No problem.

If your going to start dedicated cuttings for this, I'd recommend staking them. Nothing fancy (those cheap bamboo statks that come in a bag at Home Depot work great), just something to keep the central stem/stalk/trunk growing straight & upright. Rosemary seems to have a mind of it's own & will rarely go straight-up (at least the stuff I grow), without some help/guidance.
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012
Join date : 2010-08-27
Age : 50
Location : Wesley Chapel, Florida (Zone 9)

Back to top Go down

Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries Empty reindeer art

Post  ander217 on 12/17/2010, 8:54 am

Boffer, I'm not sure if you could slant the plant enough for this to work, but I can picture a reindeer with his back legs coming out of a pot that is camouflaged by the front runner of a sleigh carrying Santa Claus. Santa can hold the reins which actually help hold up the neck of the reindeer that appears to be just starting to take off in flight.

Would that be possible?

LeAnn (who never met a rosemary plant she couldn't kill)

ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450
Join date : 2010-03-16
Age : 64
Location : Southeastern Missouri (6b)

Back to top Go down

Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries Empty Re: Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries

Post  Megan on 12/17/2010, 11:01 pm

@ander217 wrote:LeAnn (who never met a rosemary plant she couldn't kill)

LeAnn, I am in a border area where rosemary can't always overwinter outdoors. I tried it for YEARS until finally I found one. The varieties differ. (And now, of course, having said this, the one I've successfully grown is going to die. Ack!!!)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350
Join date : 2010-04-27
Age : 52
Location : Manassas, VA - Zone 7a

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries Empty Re: Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum