Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Toplef10Rosemary -- What do you do with it? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rosemary -- What do you do with it? I22gcj10Rosemary -- What do you do with it? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Toplef10Rosemary -- What do you do with it? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rosemary -- What do you do with it? I22gcj10Rosemary -- What do you do with it? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Rosemary -- What do you do with it?

+6
LilBittyBean
AtlantaMarie
Roseinarosecity
Scorpio Rising
OhioGardener
countrynaturals
10 posters

Go down

Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Empty Rosemary -- What do you do with it?

Post  countrynaturals Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:22 am

I have tons of the stuff! I love it, but I don't know what to do with it. Right now it's just ornamental, but I have one plant that has taken over one of my Salad Bar beds. I need that space and I don't need that plant, but I can't just kill it. If I could harvest the whole thing for a greater purpose, it would justify it for me. Rolling Eyes  (Before you ask, it's way too big to transplant.)

Edit: Here's one I just found -- can't wait to try it.

Use Dried Rosemary for Dryer Sheets. Take a small drawstring bag and fill with dried rosemary sprigs. Throw this in the dryer with freshly washed clothes for a great way to naturally scent your laundry. You could even add dried lavender to this sachet.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Empty Re: Rosemary -- What do you do with it?

Post  OhioGardener Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:59 am

Rosemary plants do get huge, don't they CN?   It is grown as an annual here is Ohio, but it still gets very big and it is impossible to use all of it.  We use a lot of it in cooking, but the only other use we have for it is as a mosquito repellent. 

Check out the Molly Green article, Twenty Ways to Use Rosemary, her opening paragraph is:

"Our rosemary has bushed out into a wild, gargantuan organism growing in our yard. I think it’s approximately 3 feet high and 4 feet in diameter. It. Is. Huge. I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with this beautiful rosemary bush and I’m planning on using every single bit of it. I can only dry so much rosemary, so I’ve been hunting for ways to utilize it."

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4470

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Empty Rosemary -- What do you do with it?

Post  countrynaturals Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:09 pm

countrynaturals wrote:I have tons of the stuff! I love it, but I don't know what to do with it. Right now it's just ornamental, but I have one plant that has taken over one of my Salad Bar beds. I need that space and I don't need that plant, but I can't just kill it. If I could harvest the whole thing for a greater purpose, it would justify it for me. Rolling Eyes  (Before you ask, it's way too big to transplant.)

Edit: Here's one I just found -- can't wait to try it.

Use Dried Rosemary for Dryer Sheets. Take a small drawstring bag and fill with dried rosemary sprigs. Throw this in the dryer with freshly washed clothes for a great way to naturally scent your laundry. You could even add dried lavender to this sachet.
Here is the plant in 2016:
Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Herbs10
The 2 little bay plants died last year when we were evacuated for the Carr Fire. Here's what the rosemary looked like this morning:
Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Rosema12
This property had no rosemary, so I planted this one. The new place has at least 30' of it, so this one is no longer needed. I can't kill it, but I can harvest it to death. Rolling Eyes

Here's the first harvest, drying on top of a display case in my she-shed. This is only a smidgen of what I'll get, but that plant is in the direct sun, so the rest will have to be gathered in the evening. I predict that everyone on my Christmas list will get something crafty from rosemary this year. Razz 
Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Rosema13
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Empty Re: Rosemary -- What do you do with it?

Post  Scorpio Rising Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:39 pm

I have only used it for culinary purposes...love it with lamb and pork.  Make a rub with crushed garlic, rosemary, mustard and salt and pepper.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:13 pm

How about an infusion of rosemary in olive oil.  You'll be able to use it in your salad dressings and for body care use.

I did it last year in my crock pot and my kitchen smelled delicious. 

R
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:30 pm

Roseinarosecity wrote:How about an infusion of rosemary in olive oil.  You'll be able to use it in your salad dressings and for body care use.

I did it last year in my crock pot and my kitchen smelled delicious. 

R
Thanks, Rose. I'll put Katie on that project. Right now it's my she-shed that smells delicious as the harvest is heaping. Very Happy
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:51 am

Oh, I LIKE that idea, Rose! And heaven knows I have plenty, lol Do you use dried or fresh?

One of our local fast food joints has a BIG bush right by the drive-thru window. The staff had no idea what it was till I told them.....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LilBittyBean Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:22 am

I sometimes make shrubs (drinking vinegar) with my rosemary and whatever fruit is in season. 

In the past, I've also made a rosemary-apple cider vinegar hair rinse. Can't find my recipe, but this looks the same: https://botaneri.com/rosemary-apple-cider-hair-rinse/
LilBittyBean
LilBittyBean

Female Posts : 95

http://www.southernplanteater.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:05 pm

LilBittyBean wrote:I sometimes make shrubs (drinking vinegar) with my rosemary and whatever fruit is in season.
That sounds interesting. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  LilBittyBean Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:22 pm

This article is a great jumping-off point for making your own shrubs. My favorite combo is blackberry-thyme served up with some bourbon. Rosemary and grapefruit make a nice combination, too.

How to Make a Shrub Drink Food52
LilBittyBean
LilBittyBean

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:03 am

Hmmm.... (insert scratching head emoticon here.) Interesting... And I like to add acv to smoothies anyway.....

Thanks, LBB!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LilBittyBean Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:49 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Hmmm....  (insert scratching head emoticon here.)  Interesting...  And I like to add acv to smoothies anyway.....

Thanks, LBB!
You're welcome! I would never have thought of adding shrub vinegar to a smoothie. Sounds brilliant! 

I'm pretty sure I'll make a batch of shrub vinegar this weekend. It's been way too long since I've done it.
LilBittyBean
LilBittyBean

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:41 pm

I like to use a wad of rosemary branches add to my Webber BBQ coals when I roast/smoke a leg of lamb or a whole chicken.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:07 pm

Yardslave wrote:I like to use a wad of rosemary branches add to my Webber BBQ coals when I roast/smoke a leg of lamb or a whole chicken.
Ooo, sounds interesting. hungry
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:26 pm

Typically I forget I have it growing for months and then rudely surprise myself with how potent fresh clipped rosemary is in dishes.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:06 pm

The dryer bag idea was a total waste of time and resources. There was no fragrance whatsoever. I wish people would test their ideas before they post them. Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:21 pm

chew it up using a food processor, then freeze in cubes, then dump all the cubes in a freezer bag!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:36 pm

That's a lot of rosemary.

I'm thinking early holiday wreaths for friends, neighbors, and random individuals. santa
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:56 pm

Mark, Love your avatar.

Rosemary dries out so quick. Maybe it will last long enough to make it through the Christmas season. ??

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:58 pm

sanderson wrote:Rosemary dries out so quick.  Maybe it will last long enough to make it through the Christmas season.  ??

Wait! One word --

*** Halloween ***
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down