Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Toplef10Rosemary -- What do you do with it? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rosemary -- What do you do with it? I22gcj10Rosemary -- What do you do with it? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» new member needs help
by roc0772 Today at 6:50 pm

» N&C Midwest: November/December 2019!
by OhioGardener Today at 5:06 pm

» SFG FOUNDATION NEWSLETTER - NOVEMBER 2019
by sfg4uKim Today at 4:59 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by RJARPCGP Today at 1:22 pm

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing October to December 2019
by Kelejan Today at 1:11 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:21 am

» has55's R & D Journey
by has55 Yesterday at 2:09 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:25 pm

» Update on Marie's mom
by AtlantaMarie 11/17/2019, 11:01 am

» Can leggy plants be saved?
by sanderson 11/17/2019, 3:12 am

by sanderson 11/16/2019, 6:35 pm

» TD's Health
by sanderson 11/16/2019, 6:30 pm

» Do you compost your squash vines?
by yolos 11/16/2019, 5:52 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 11/16/2019, 5:37 pm

» New & Different
by countrynaturals 11/16/2019, 12:55 pm

» the SFG Journey-onions in Dallas, Tx area, do you cover them in the winter?
by has55 11/16/2019, 11:50 am

» SFG Newbie in NorCal!!
by countrynaturals 11/16/2019, 9:55 am

» Tulle
by sanderson 11/16/2019, 3:57 am

» Tomato Tuesday - 2018 & 2019
by sanderson 11/16/2019, 3:52 am

» Today's Harvest
by Scorpio Rising 11/14/2019, 8:36 pm

» Favorite seed companies
by Scorpio Rising 11/14/2019, 8:32 pm

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by Scorpio Rising 11/13/2019, 7:31 pm

» Winter Gardening Feedback, Please
by Scorpio Rising 11/13/2019, 6:57 pm

» 2018/2019 SFG in Brooks, GA
by countrynaturals 11/12/2019, 9:10 pm

» New England, November, 2019
by Scorpio Rising 11/12/2019, 6:25 pm

» American Beautyberry - Anyone grow them?
by Scorpio Rising 11/12/2019, 6:23 pm

» My sweet, sweet, sweet taters.
by mgbeheler 11/11/2019, 1:36 pm

» Volunteer Plants
by Scorpio Rising 11/10/2019, 4:34 pm

» November: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 11/9/2019, 5:37 pm

» Tips for compost tumbler
by OhioGardener 11/9/2019, 7:55 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Rosemary -- What do you do with it?

Go down

Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Empty Rosemary -- What do you do with it?

Post  countrynaturals on 8/18/2019, 11:22 am

I have tons of the stuff! I love it, but I don't know what to do with it. Right now it's just ornamental, but I have one plant that has taken over one of my Salad Bar beds. I need that space and I don't need that plant, but I can't just kill it. If I could harvest the whole thing for a greater purpose, it would justify it for me. Rolling Eyes  (Before you ask, it's way too big to transplant.)

Edit: Here's one I just found -- can't wait to try it.

Use Dried Rosemary for Dryer Sheets. Take a small drawstring bag and fill with dried rosemary sprigs. Throw this in the dryer with freshly washed clothes for a great way to naturally scent your laundry. You could even add dried lavender to this sachet.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 4910

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Empty Re: Rosemary -- What do you do with it?

Post  OhioGardener on 8/18/2019, 11:59 am

Rosemary plants do get huge, don't they CN?   It is grown as an annual here is Ohio, but it still gets very big and it is impossible to use all of it.  We use a lot of it in cooking, but the only other use we have for it is as a mosquito repellent. 

Check out the Molly Green article, Twenty Ways to Use Rosemary, her opening paragraph is:

"Our rosemary has bushed out into a wild, gargantuan organism growing in our yard. I think it’s approximately 3 feet high and 4 feet in diameter. It. Is. Huge. I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with this beautiful rosemary bush and I’m planning on using every single bit of it. I can only dry so much rosemary, so I’ve been hunting for ways to utilize it."
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Back to top Go down

Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Empty Rosemary -- What do you do with it?

Post  countrynaturals on 8/18/2019, 1:09 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:I have tons of the stuff! I love it, but I don't know what to do with it. Right now it's just ornamental, but I have one plant that has taken over one of my Salad Bar beds. I need that space and I don't need that plant, but I can't just kill it. If I could harvest the whole thing for a greater purpose, it would justify it for me. Rolling Eyes  (Before you ask, it's way too big to transplant.)

Edit: Here's one I just found -- can't wait to try it.

Use Dried Rosemary for Dryer Sheets. Take a small drawstring bag and fill with dried rosemary sprigs. Throw this in the dryer with freshly washed clothes for a great way to naturally scent your laundry. You could even add dried lavender to this sachet.
Here is the plant in 2016:
Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Herbs10
The 2 little bay plants died last year when we were evacuated for the Carr Fire. Here's what the rosemary looked like this morning:
Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Rosema12
This property had no rosemary, so I planted this one. The new place has at least 30' of it, so this one is no longer needed. I can't kill it, but I can harvest it to death. Rolling Eyes

Here's the first harvest, drying on top of a display case in my she-shed. This is only a smidgen of what I'll get, but that plant is in the direct sun, so the rest will have to be gathered in the evening. I predict that everyone on my Christmas list will get something crafty from rosemary this year. Razz 
Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Rosema13
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Rosemary -- What do you do with it? Empty Re: Rosemary -- What do you do with it?

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/18/2019, 11:39 pm

I have only used it for culinary purposes...love it with lamb and pork.  Make a rub with crushed garlic, rosemary, mustard and salt and pepper.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7178

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity on 8/19/2019, 9:13 pm

How about an infusion of rosemary in olive oil.  You'll be able to use it in your salad dressings and for body care use.

I did it last year in my crock pot and my kitchen smelled delicious. 

R
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 312

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/19/2019, 11:30 pm

@Roseinarosecity wrote:How about an infusion of rosemary in olive oil.  You'll be able to use it in your salad dressings and for body care use.

I did it last year in my crock pot and my kitchen smelled delicious. 

R
Thanks, Rose. I'll put Katie on that project. Right now it's my she-shed that smells delicious as the harvest is heaping. Very Happy
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 8/20/2019, 9:51 am

Oh, I LIKE that idea, Rose! And heaven knows I have plenty, lol Do you use dried or fresh?

One of our local fast food joints has a BIG bush right by the drive-thru window. The staff had no idea what it was till I told them.....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5174

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LilBittyBean on 8/20/2019, 10:22 am

I sometimes make shrubs (drinking vinegar) with my rosemary and whatever fruit is in season. 

In the past, I've also made a rosemary-apple cider vinegar hair rinse. Can't find my recipe, but this looks the same: https://botaneri.com/rosemary-apple-cider-hair-rinse/
LilBittyBean
LilBittyBean

Female Posts : 48

http://www.southernplanteater.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/20/2019, 12:05 pm

@LilBittyBean wrote:I sometimes make shrubs (drinking vinegar) with my rosemary and whatever fruit is in season.
That sounds interesting. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  LilBittyBean on 8/20/2019, 4:22 pm

This article is a great jumping-off point for making your own shrubs. My favorite combo is blackberry-thyme served up with some bourbon. Rosemary and grapefruit make a nice combination, too.

How to Make a Shrub Drink Food52
LilBittyBean
LilBittyBean

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 8/21/2019, 8:03 am

Hmmm.... (insert scratching head emoticon here.) Interesting... And I like to add acv to smoothies anyway.....

Thanks, LBB!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5174

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LilBittyBean on 8/21/2019, 11:49 am

@AtlantaMarie wrote:Hmmm....  (insert scratching head emoticon here.)  Interesting...  And I like to add acv to smoothies anyway.....

Thanks, LBB!
You're welcome! I would never have thought of adding shrub vinegar to a smoothie. Sounds brilliant! 

I'm pretty sure I'll make a batch of shrub vinegar this weekend. It's been way too long since I've done it.
LilBittyBean
LilBittyBean

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave on 8/26/2019, 6:41 pm

I like to use a wad of rosemary branches add to my Webber BBQ coals when I roast/smoke a leg of lamb or a whole chicken.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 416

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/26/2019, 7:07 pm

@Yardslave wrote:I like to use a wad of rosemary branches add to my Webber BBQ coals when I roast/smoke a leg of lamb or a whole chicken.
Ooo, sounds interesting. hungry
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality on 8/26/2019, 11:26 pm

Typically I forget I have it growing for months and then rudely surprise myself with how potent fresh clipped rosemary is in dishes.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 662

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 9/1/2019, 7:06 pm

The dryer bag idea was a total waste of time and resources. There was no fragrance whatsoever. I wish people would test their ideas before they post them. Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/1/2019, 9:21 pm

chew it up using a food processor, then freeze in cubes, then dump all the cubes in a freezer bag!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7178

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz on 9/8/2019, 4:36 pm

That's a lot of rosemary.

I'm thinking early holiday wreaths for friends, neighbors, and random individuals. santa
markqz
markqz

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/8/2019, 4:56 pm

Mark, Love your avatar.

Rosemary dries out so quick. Maybe it will last long enough to make it through the Christmas season. ??

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 18425

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz on 9/8/2019, 5:58 pm

@sanderson wrote:Rosemary dries out so quick.  Maybe it will last long enough to make it through the Christmas season.  ??

Wait! One word --

*** Halloween ***
markqz
markqz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum