Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 Toplef10Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 I22gcj10Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 Toplef10Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 I22gcj10Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Make your own vanilla extract!

+12
nycquilter
barmstr
Megan
davidclubb
middlemamma
outsideasy
Lavender Debs
martha
LaFee
camprn
ander217
happyfrog
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 Empty Re: Make your own vanilla extract!

Post  happyfrog 11/19/2010, 8:19 am

all i know is i get madagascar bourbon beans from the coop. she does that particular buy (if hx will repeat) in around march and then in sept-ish. she has done it a few times now and folks are thrilled so i decided to take part. (it's a cloth diapering coop, lol, that over the years has expanded to include more than 'just' cloth diapering materials).

my vodka and rum bottles are clear.

the canning board i'm also a member of encouraged folks to store this product in dark, dry, cool place. so i keep it under my kitchen sink. it is all of those things, except when i open the door to get something, lol.

the liquid inside is turning this gorgeous amber color - the rum is a deeper color now - all are just so yummy smelling! i'm not going to start using/sharing this until december, though. Smile unless i run out of my 'sstash' of vanilla that i purchased - i have 5 more 2 oz bottles on my shelf - usually i use at least one bottle/week, sometimes more - and this wekeend, i'll be doing a LOT of baking for thanksgiving. .

the hardest part is accepting how easy it is to make.

and realizing that someone was brilliant to start charging so much for these items!
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 Empty Vanilla

Post  ander217 11/19/2010, 9:32 am

I just did more research on vanilla. Bourbon beans are also called Madagascar-bourbon vanilla beans. They are the most common, and come from Madagascar, grown from cultivars that originated in Mexico (the origin of all vanilla cultivars.)

Whew, LaFee, you are right about growing one's own. After reading what goes into producing quality beans, I'd say we are lucky to be able to buy the beans rather than trying to produce our own. Hand pollination is difficult, timing is critical, growing conditions are difficult to reproduce, and if one does manage to grow beans, they must be "killed", sweated, dried, and cured before using, all of which take months.

There are three grades of beans, based on length. The longer the bean, the higher the grade. I'm not sure if the grade affects taste.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 Empty Re: Make your own vanilla extract!

Post  LaFee 11/19/2010, 1:23 pm

$7-12 per bean? (lafee faints dead away)

You can get THREE for $7 from Penzey's (they'll add a little freight, but still) -- and if you're lucky, there's a store somewhere close enough to visit, even if it's only a once-in-a-while trip.

FIFTEEN of the little jewels are just under $30.

And Penzey's is a fabulous source of dried herbs and seasonings. Easy to deal with, great prices, and far, FAR better quality than the grocery stuff!

(By the way -- if you live in an area with an Hispanic influence, look for Badia spices in the Latin food section -- very good spices for very good prices)
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  davidclubb 11/19/2010, 10:56 pm

I believe you can grow anything you want in any region by following Mel's advice in the All New Square Foot Gardening. He mentioned that you can extend the season by building a "green house" over your garden. Simply put, just build a dome or canopy over your SFG, and control the environment with an a.c./heater, and theoretically you should be able to grow any thing you want.
davidclubb
davidclubb

Male Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 11/19/2010, 11:48 pm

Is there a Costco in your area ander? I saw vanilla beans at mine today, 10 for about $11. Costco usually demands top quality..... but then again, on a whim, I bought a costco size thing of chili, most of the cans were dented under the pretty plastic wrap. Sooooooo
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 Empty In the boonies

Post  ander217 11/20/2010, 6:24 am

I live in the boonies. No Costco, Penzey's, or Hispanic groceries. We have Wally World, Kroger's, and local stores serviced by Associated Grocers which do not include many specialty items - cannot even buy organic products there, - they push their Best Choice and Always Save store brands. Fifty miles away in Cape Girardeau we have a Schnuck's which carries more specialty items - that's where I found the Frieda's brand vanilla bean for around $4, (1 bean per package) and there is a nature store which carries bulk grains and legumes, but they are the ones who want the astronomical prices for vanilla beans.

We're visiting our daughter in north Austin, TX next week. Does anyone know of a good source there for vanilla beans?
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 11/20/2010, 7:11 am

Penzey's will ship to you -- but their rates are very reasonable, and it will STILL be less than $4 a bean.

There's a store in St Louis, as well as one each in Dallas and Houston (not Austin, which surprises me)

I did a Google search on "buy vanilla beans" and Amazon has several kinds (for about $1 a bean), as well as a number of online purveyors of JUST vanilla - extract, beans, seeds, etc., etc., etc.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 Empty Thanks

Post  ander217 11/20/2010, 7:53 am

Thanks, LaFee. I didn't even think about shopping for them online. Duh.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/20/2010, 8:19 am

San Francisco Herb Co. I think there are about 25 beans in 4 oz.

how many vanilla beans to an ounce? on this website there are reviews of vanilla vendors.

Last edited by camprn on 11/20/2010, 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 11/20/2010, 8:36 am

re: beans/ounce depends on the size of the bean. the ones i got were around, *hang on while i get a measuring device* 6" long.

i paid 28cents each bean plus $1 handling fee and actual shipping costs. (was shipped in padded first class mailer).

if you can join a coop that sells food items i think you'll get the best deal - because of hte bulk ordered. Smile

hth.

bettyann
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 11/20/2010, 10:20 am

happyfrog wrote:re: beans/ounce depends on the size of the bean. the ones i got were around, *hang on while i get a measuring device* 6" long.

i paid 28cents each bean plus $1 handling fee and actual shipping costs. (was shipped in padded first class mailer).

if you can join a coop that sells food items i think you'll get the best deal - because of hte bulk ordered. Smile

hth.

bettyann

28 cents for a vanilla bean?!? Holy cow... er, bean!!!!! That's amazing. Shocked
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/20/2010, 11:52 am

happyfrog wrote:i paid 28cents each bean plus $1 handling fee and actual shipping costs. (was shipped in padded first class mailer).
bettyann
Wow, that's great! How much bulk did you have to buy to get that price?
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 11/20/2010, 2:58 pm

i didn't have to buy bulk. it was a bulk order. lots of folks order as few or as many beans or other vanilla products as desired. but there was a $1 handling fee for the coop - so i went in with another friend and we split that $1 fee 'cause we're cheap,lol.

i ordered 10 beans, she ordered 12. we paid right around $10 including all paypal 'add on' fees total for our order. it was a test for us both - neither had ever ordered vanilla beans before and we didn't know what/how hard they would be to deal with - esp since we both have young kids and special need situations, etc.

so next time, we're both ordering a lot more - but again, will go in together so we split the shipping and handling fees. she lives about 40 minutes from me so it's an excuse for us to visit. .. Smile

do a yahoo group search for lovinbundles and it should come up - but they're not always accepting new members - it's only a few folks running the various coops and they try to keep the membership manageable - it has over 1500 members now. ..
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 Empty Vanila Beans for Homemade Vanilla

Post  barmstr 11/20/2010, 7:11 pm

My wife has been making vanilla for years. We had four kids who loved to help bake and ate it all. The life of a 9 X 13 cake in our house was 1 1/2 days. Chocolate chip cookies-half never made to the oven-the other half were eaten when they were cool enough to guzzle down. Went through lots of milk also.

Anyway, go to www.zamourispices.com. In the search area, type in vanilla beans. You will see a recipe and a variety of beans. We always buy the cheapes ones. Great service. They also have a large variety of other spices. Service is great.

Enjoy the cooking.

Bruce Very Happy
www.brucesplace.info
barmstr
barmstr

Male Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter 10/29/2011, 6:52 pm

happyfrog wrote:al - i was told it really didn't matter, BUT if you have the money, to buy 'better' liquor.

so i bought middle-top of the road vodka and rum. i had the liquor lady help me pick out since i'm not a drinker.

and what i personally came home with from tehliquor store is:

Kamchatka vodka 80 proof 1 liter (i bought 2 of these)

and

bacardi gold original premium crafted rum puerto rican rum 40% alcohol by volume 375 ml

hth

all i did was put 3 sliced vanilla beans in each bottle. i shake whenever i think about them - they live under my kitchen sink right now. Smile

i've been told it takes 2-3 months to 'make' vanilla extract.

i haven't decided if i'm blending or keeping them separate - but this way i have that option if i so choose. Smile

I did an herbal medicine apprenticeship and I was taught to use 100 proof vodka. THat's how I made mine, though I use it for everything (also learned the best medicine is delivered in our food). For some herbs, I also like brandy, for example if I want an antispasmodic or just that energy or flavor. And you don't need to buy the most expensive at all.
nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 10/30/2011, 7:28 am

Whoever revived this thread.........THANK YOU! I have saved the link to the gourmet spice site in my Favorites and will be making a new batch of vanilla soon. My last bottle got used up making some fruit liqueur and vanilla beans are SO expensive within my 100 mile shopping area that I broke down and got a bottle of white vanilla on ebay. Now that my non-cooking Hubby is learning how to bake (I have had some AMAZING cookies in the last few weeks) I definitely need to start making my own vanilla again. I have never made it with rum, but that is an interesting possibility as well.
thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks
GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/30/2011, 7:39 am

I like the homemade rum vanilla the best. I use a dark rum.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Denese 10/30/2011, 11:39 am

My sister is a missionary in Indonesia and recently came home for furlough. She brought back vanilla beans for me. Haven't used them yet. Wasn't sure what to do with them. Now I know!! Very Happy
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/30/2011, 2:17 pm

VanillaReview.com
Wow, this is a vanilla bean and extract tutorial. I think you could get a degree in vanilla bean knowledge if you learned everything on this site ha! There are pictures of bean imperfections, how to determine fully ripened beans, making different kinds of extracts, etc.
Once again - wow!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Make your own vanilla extract! - Page 2 Empty Have fresh vanilla beans if you want some!

Post  JeanneRamick 1/6/2013, 1:01 pm

My daughter just got back from California and brought me a BUNCH of fresh, moist, Madagascar vanilla beans! They only cost about 65 cents each!!

I have a FoodSaver machine and was thinking I could seal them before sending, because these are REALLY moist.

The Post Office has such restrictions on the thickness of envelopes that I'll have to do some research on that front.

Don't want to make anything on them, just cover cost and shipping to share!
JeanneRamick
JeanneRamick

Female Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2