Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG journey-Compost Extract Tea, No brewing. Toplef10The SFG journey-Compost Extract Tea, No brewing. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG journey-Compost Extract Tea, No brewing. I22gcj10The SFG journey-Compost Extract Tea, No brewing. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG journey-Compost Extract Tea, No brewing. Toplef10The SFG journey-Compost Extract Tea, No brewing. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG journey-Compost Extract Tea, No brewing. I22gcj10The SFG journey-Compost Extract Tea, No brewing. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

The SFG journey-Compost Extract Tea, No brewing.

Go down

The SFG journey-Compost Extract Tea, No brewing. Empty The SFG journey-Compost Extract Tea, No brewing.

Post  has55 8/20/2020, 11:28 am

I been talking to Dr. Eliane Ingham over the last 2-3 years. I asked it they have completed the research on the compost extract, but sadly she said , "no", due to breaking away from the Environmental Celebration Institute. She is focused on developing students that are starting their own soil food web lab. I think it a good idea, but it didn't get me the results I wanted to hear.

I had asked Heather Rinaldi Owner of Texas Worm Ranch if I could pay her to do microscopic testing of my fungal dominated vermicompost ( at least I believe it was finally dominated, no microscope) as used in a extract as seen in Dr. Ingham student's video.She stated she would do the testing for her own satisfaction because it was testing she should have done long ago after she decided to move her business in a another direction by making fugally dominated or enhanced ( not sure if I got that right) vermicompost.She attended Dr. Ingham classes. I'm doing vermicompost not compost, which I didn't think about it till now while I'm writing this reply. I don't k now how much a difference it makes having two different types of compost. Yours is turned by hand and my compost is turned by earthmover.  

on 8/15/2020, I received a reply from Heather, she texted: Great news!  I replicated the extract method two days in a row—awesome quantities of all microbe families each time.  I’m going to start using it in my garden more!  

me: Was everyone in the microbe family present? Any greater than others?  

Heather: Great fungi, amoeba, and nematode numbers.  I saw 7 nematodes just in the first quarter of a slide, which is fantastic.  

Me: Can the tea be made with larger mesh bag like 600-800 micron

Heather: I’d stick with 400 micron.  There were tons of microbes
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG journey-Compost Extract Tea, No brewing. Empty Re: The SFG journey-Compost Extract Tea, No brewing.

Post  has55 3/3/2021, 11:13 am

I found this on the logical Gardener forum website.

Re: Liquid Compost Extract - LCE

[ltr]BY MARk H[/ltr]

• [ltr]Q[/ltr]

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:31 pm
I make extract for our golf course using both vermi and thermal compost. I bubble 4 gallons (volume) of compost in a 250 gallon tote for 20 minutes and repeat two more times. I had it tested at U. of Ga. for colony forming units (cfu) against a commercial extract (worm power) that has spent 3 million in research and the results are as follows.
My 1 week old extract 990,000,000 bacteria cfu and 2,800,000 fungi cfu
The commercial product 790,000,000 bacteria cfu and 1,700,000 fungi cfu
My 80 day extract 460,000,000 bacteria cfu and 950,000 fungi cfu
This shows that there is a shelf life unlike tea and you can add amendments when applying unlike compost tea.

Cost of treatment for the commercial is $150/acre vs my "River Juice" is [url=https://logicalgardener.org/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un= $2][/url]
[ltr]$2[/ltr]
[url=https://logicalgardener.org/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un= $2][/url].00 for 250 gallons which I put out every time I spray at 20 gallons per acre vs 16z per acre. I would mention that it is a good idea to de-chlorinate your water if testing shows as little as 2ppm.

[url=https://logicalgardener.org/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un= $2][/url]
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG journey-Compost Extract Tea, No brewing. Empty Re: The SFG journey-Compost Extract Tea, No brewing.

Post  has55 3/3/2021, 11:31 am

another interesting comment by Elaine Ingham

[ltr]Re: Liquid Compost Extract - LCE[/ltr]

• [ltr]Quote[/ltr]

[ltr]Post[/ltr] by [ltr]NoSecret[/ltr] » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:41 pm
he daily hype: Massage your compost!

Elaine Ingham Message 3 of 5 , Aug 24 

"Purple Cow" (*) compost is often good (85% of the time, I'd say) ---- good fungi, protozoa, nematodes.  
They do have their "opps" composts though, so getting the microscope out to check it is important.  
Also, storage conditions can destroy the biology, so can't always blame the compost maker......

The amount of time that has to go into compost tea is why I prefer to make compost EXTRACT rather than tea.  
Basically, just extract the organisms straight from the compost by vigorous massaging of the compost.  
Treat the compost just exactly like a human muscle that is sore and needs a good massage.  
No wringing, no sand paper motion, no scrubbing motions, just massage.  
Vigorous massage.  
About 30 seconds for a pound of compost is what is needed to extract the organisms.  
Then apply the compost extract.  

Tea has to be made if the application is to establish the right sets of organisms on the plant surfaces aboveground.  
The organisms need to be growing, making glues and holding on instantly, in order to stick and stay on the surfaces aboveground.

But when applied to soil, not necessary to instantly stick! So, compost extract works fine, and less work. 

So, I encourage you to make extracts when applying to most things --- soil, water, compost, mulch, etc.  
Tea only if you have to deal with pests and disease organisms on plant (or animal) surfaces. 
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down