Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I want to see your garden.... Toplef10I want to see your garden.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I want to see your garden.... I22gcj10I want to see your garden.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I want to see your garden.... Toplef10I want to see your garden.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I want to see your garden.... I22gcj10I want to see your garden.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

I want to see your garden....

+4
Lavender Debs
outsideasy
Furbalsmom
middlemamma
8 posters

Go down

I want to see your garden.... Empty I want to see your garden....

Post  middlemamma 11/5/2010, 9:02 pm

Hey all you folks out there who haven't been forced by your wheather to put your garden to bed!

Post your pics, tell us northern folk how your garden grows? We change time here tomorrow night and it will be dark by 330ish. I need your daily infusion of beautiful growing plants to keep my blood pumping!

Hey Australia....where are ya? I know your gardens are agrowin'.

Come on! Share...post..we need you!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

I want to see your garden.... Empty Re: I want to see your garden....

Post  Furbalsmom 11/6/2010, 6:02 pm

bump
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  outsideasy 11/7/2010, 10:14 am

As soon as it stops raining I"ll take a shot of our community garden for you but here in California central valley we are still planting not putting to bed. I just pulled the last squash and now have to put something where that was.
Al
outsideasy

Male Posts : 103

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 11/7/2010, 12:56 pm

Have you frozen out already MM? We had a frost, but mostly we are back to drizzel, though there were two days in November of 70+ degrees. I used them to go day hiking instead of tending the garden.

This was early this AM
I want to see your garden.... Novemb15
I'm thinking I need a little clipper action.

Debs.... hates it when it is too warm for a jacket and too wet not to have something on.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 11/7/2010, 2:19 pm

Hey Lavender, no not frozen...but definitely missing the garden of summer. I have some spinach growing and lettuce...but it’s so BORING...lol

We are have been 35-41 at night as a low for weeks....and also VERY rainy...Our high the last few days was in the 50's...but from what I hear that little heat wave isn't going to last. LOL

I put in my potato onions and garlic to winter over but the hope is I won’t see anything in there until spring.

We went out yesterday to buy my indoor set up for seedlings and stumbled upon a cool little greenhouse setup for $43. IMO it isn’t really sturdy enough for outside...but hubby reinforced it with some screws and we are putting it in our side room, where I will grow seedlings for the spring.

The room is not heated and is more like a walled in porch than a room...the room has 8 windows around it. But is still gets very cold in there. With this little green house thing I can put a tiny heater under the plastic and keep it warmer in that tiny space rather than heating the whole room, which runs the length of the house.

We got some grow lights too and I will start experimenting probably in a week or two. I had really leggy seedlings last year and none made it, so I want to do better this year.

We also stumbled across a little cold frame for 39 bucks. 41X21X17 inches...it was normally like 80 bucks...I couldn't pass it up.

So I'm hanging in there facing winter's approach but the withdrawals are maddening. I bought some herbal detox tea yesterday hoping it would help me come off a little easier but while drinking the first cup I read the disclaimer on the box and it said it has no effect on physical addictions such as running, jogging, crafting, scrapbooking, and gardening. I knew right then I was in for it. affraid

I thought if I could get a little fix here and there from those of you still able to garden I might make it till spring. bounce

So help me out guys! Post your pics...don't make me suffer!

Thanks for your pic Lavender! Smile
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

I want to see your garden.... Empty I want to see your garden.....the good, the bad, the ugly!

Post  janefss2002 11/7/2010, 8:44 pm

It's been a roller coaster here in Dallas area as far as temperatures go! The night before last we were down to 38 or so. Last night it was 41. We had frost on Friday night. The day temps are in the 70s. We should have good weather for almost a week with lows in 50s and highs in 70s. So you will see in my pictures the last of my summer garden of lemon cucumber, lima beans, rattlesnake pole beans, peppers and tomatoes (go tomatoes!). The peppers are a little grumpy after the cold.

You will also my attempt at a late start fall garden with squash that I hoped would survive better now than with it did in spring after the invasion of SVB. Already, I have more, although immature.

You will also see my late start in my fall-winter greens and lettuces.

After frost (and yes, after Halloween Very Happy )
I want to see your garden.... Dscn0511

Squash
I want to see your garden.... Dscn0512

Spaghetti Squash
I want to see your garden.... Dscn0513

Grumpy Poblano Peppers (but still growing!)
I want to see your garden.... Dscn0514

Tomatoes
I want to see your garden.... Dscn0515

The unveiling of part of the trellis
I want to see your garden.... Dscn0516

Just noticed I have more pics that didn't download to computer (interrupted connection), so will try again later. Embarassed

So, here in the Dallas area, we are a mix of summer and fall. I'm just trying to extend to get the most out my plants.

For us, that means a lot of covering and uncovering until we have that really, really killing freeze.

Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Female Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 11/10/2010, 12:26 pm

Here is a picture Al took on Monday morning after our heavy rains all day Sunday and through Sunday night. The plants in the boxes are just sparkling with rain drops...not too visible in the picture but everything just looked gorgeous!
I want to see your garden.... 033_af10
This was about 9:30am and the sun was not on all the boxes yet. You can see the trees in the background that are just beginning to turn reddish orange. The rock on the ground over the sand below it makes for easy walking and working around the garden boxes even right after a heavy rain...we've got great drainage!

We probably won't have any damaging frosts until late this month, possibly into December, but we're putting hoops on some of the boxes to be ready to cover them.

For those of you in the cold and snowy areas...sorry. Not trying to brag but this Central Valley weather right now, Nov 10th is awesome! At 9:15am we're at 49 degrees and will have highs of mid 60s all week, maybe 70 by the weekend. Our plants are loving it! So are we.
Very Happy
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 11/10/2010, 2:15 pm

Thanks for sharing PNG!!!

Love to hear from you and see your beautiful garden!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 11/13/2010, 8:53 pm

You asked for it. Never let it be said that I let a chance to be a bore go untaken. LOL.

I will at least have some sweet potatoes ready for T-day but unfortunately I won't be here. I am considering talking some with me though. I am going to MA for a couple of weeks to touch base with the family. For one as strapped for cash as I have been I flit around quite a bit. Very Happy

Here are my babies and I only hope I don't miss the peak of production - but since I plant once a month there is always the next box.

The highlights

Peas (shell), carrots and beets in one end of a 6X3 box
I want to see your garden.... 10_nov10

A gorgeous cabbage
I want to see your garden.... 10_nov11

Lettuce - I have already picked from this and had a salad the other night
I want to see your garden.... 10_nov12

Spinach - it did not all sprout so added a seed or two
I want to see your garden.... 10_nov14

Still getting some Anaheim peppers
I want to see your garden.... 10_nov15

Herb bed - 4 rows of basil, garlic, dill and cilantro. The dill and cilantro were just all pulled out and replanted recently
I want to see your garden.... 10_nov16

Zucchini is still producing and I don't need the bed until next month
I want to see your garden.... 10_nov17

Newest bed with sugar snap peas, beets, cabbage, lettuce, spinach, carrots, celery, beets and broccoli
I want to see your garden.... 10_nov18

Oddly shaped eggplant
I want to see your garden.... 10_nov19

The holes in the sweet potato leaves are from a small orange and black moth and other than this they do not seem to do much damage so I ceased worrying about them
I want to see your garden.... 10_nov20

View of the garden from the kitchen door - I love that it is so convenient. Probably the only reason I keep it going
I want to see your garden.... 10_nov21
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 11/13/2010, 9:21 pm

Your garden is gorgeous Chopper you rock
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 11/14/2010, 9:05 am

Take the sweets Chopper. That is a great idea!

The word that best describes my garden today is drizzly. Just a fine cold mist. I am so pleased that MM started this thread. It takes me away for just a moment to a dreamy place without the sore muscles or dirt in my fingernails.

Debs.... thinking a few radish, spinach, bok choi, and cilantro seeds might be a good idea this afternoon.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

I want to see your garden.... Empty My Garden

Post  bettyd_z7_va 11/14/2010, 11:28 am

Please don't mind the weeds. DH is supposed to lay brick around the 4x4s, but he hasn't settled on a final design for the garden. He has made another 4x4 and we will, hopefully, have more by spring. Once they are laid out the way he wants them, he will lay the brick. We were in such a hurry to get started this fall that we just slapped the frames down, threw in the MM and I planted the seeds.

I would like to cover the greenhouse frame with plastic before next winter and have double protection against the winter cold.

DH still has to clear the corn stalks out of the original garden and chop them up for the compost.

DSC03221

My fig tree is just out of sight to the left of the birdhouse in the distance.

DSC03222

See what I mean about planting too thickly? I really have to thin those turnips! Also have beets, carrots, spinach and peas. There are 2 of these 4x4s with the same things planted in both.

DSC03226

These are not SFGs. Didn't have enough $$s to make more this fall, but I wanted more greens, so I used the leftover MM in the area that DH had tilled for me, threw down the seed and raked them in.
Creasy as thick as ticks on a dog's back! There's mustard to the right of it. There are 2 other beds like this with kale and collards. I want to make long raised beds full of MM for all of my greens next year. We just ran out of time and money.

The things I've learned are:
1) To follow instructions when it comes to planting. Not so thickly!
2) Mustard, turnips and collards jump right up and take off running. Creasy and kale are slower.
3) Plant more kale!!

That's all we have this year. It is our first try at a fall garden. Not pretty, but delish!!

Betty
bettyd_z7_va

Female Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 11/14/2010, 12:17 pm

Betty, what a great Fall Garden. I know what you mean about having to start slowly with the SFGs. No matter what you have on hand or can scrounge (free wood, screws, homemade compost and other stuff) there are expenses involved in setting up a new SFG. You have done a great job and your fall garden looks like it will provide you with some nice produce.
Since you have never had a Fall Garden before, I am sure this is very exciting for you.
Being able to protect your garden next year will only help you have a more productive and extended gardening season.
Garden On!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

I want to see your garden.... Empty Thanks

Post  bettyd_z7_va 11/14/2010, 2:25 pm

Thanks Furbalsmom,

Those greens taste so good. I'm so glad we decided to try a fall garden.
SFGs are the way to go. Can't wait to get more going.

Betty
bettyd_z7_va

Female Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down