Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trellising a Long SFG bed Toplef10Trellising a Long SFG bed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trellising a Long SFG bed I22gcj10Trellising a Long SFG bed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trellising a Long SFG bed Toplef10Trellising a Long SFG bed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trellising a Long SFG bed I22gcj10Trellising a Long SFG bed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Trellising a Long SFG bed

+2
Squat_Johnson
CarolynPhillips
6 posters

Go down

Trellising a Long SFG bed Empty Trellising a Long SFG bed

Post  CarolynPhillips 10/5/2010, 12:42 pm

Trellising a Long SFG bed.

I cannot remember which topic several of us were talking about
trellising a long 4foot wide bed and how difficult it was to harvest from the trellis and that
(I)(ya'll) we were not thinking when we made the long beds with a long trellis.

Why not put the trellis down the very center of the long bed. Grow small plants on
each side of the trellis. You could put more Heat and Sun sensitive plants on the side
that gets the most shade.......Impatiens, radishes, lettuce, squash etc.....
Of course it would mess up those pretty little perfect 4x4 ( or 3x3) square grids but it does get the job done.

As for the 4ft wide long beds down an existing wall-----haven't figured that one out---except just growing bedding flowers on the back side for less maintenance and putting trellises on the ends.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Trellising a Long SFG bed Empty Re: Trellising a Long SFG bed

Post  Squat_Johnson 10/5/2010, 2:56 pm

When I did 4 x 24' beds, I put a trellis every other 4' section, so I can reach around the side. It works pretty well.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 10/5/2010, 6:17 pm

Kinda scary .... I was working on the same challenge this morning.

I was trying to work out a solution to put all my spring tomatoes in one box & was trying to come up with a "long-box" solution (then Boffer had to post that "wicking box" topic & now I'm redesigning from scratch ...LOL).

I intend to grow all large heirlooms (Amana, Big-Rainbow, Black Crimson, Zogola, Green Zebra & Cherokee Chocolate), so I'll need something more robust than the Frankenstein Box.

I came up with one conclusion ..... anything 4' wide & over 4' long wasn't going to work if your doing a 100% vertical plant/grow with heavy (weight) bearing plants.

I came up with a couple of possible solutions, which all revolved around a 2' wide box ...

Trellising a Long SFG bed SFGLongBox

Solution "A"; Plant Tomatoes in the green squares & marigolds (or another pest deterent, or something low) in the blue squares & install classic flat trellis to the edge of the box.

Solution "B"; Plant tomatoes in all squares, but use "Florida Weave" trellis method with the trellis runs parallel to the 2' dimension.

Trellising a Long SFG bed SFGLongBox2

I had to short-span the trellis due to the anticipate load for the larger tomato varieties & I'm planning on building the trellis poles with the mounting support and first 12" above the edge of box as straight pipe, then a 45-degree bend, then a 5' section of straight pipe.
This would give a "Y" shape to the trellis arms & allow for sprawling width, without changing the footprint of the box. It also makes a good attachment point/frameworkfor a cover, sunscreen or pest/bird netting.

Of course now I have to figure out how to do this AND incorporate the "wicking" process Rolling Eyes

On second thought .... maybe I'm sticking with my DIG micro-irrigation system on a timer...LOL

acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 10/5/2010, 6:31 pm

When it comes to growing lots of big red tomatoes, I can only dream about being in your league. But, why wouldn't a T post on each end, connected with clotheslines, and dangling training cords work?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 10/5/2010, 7:57 pm

boffer wrote:When it comes to growing lots of big red tomatoes, I can only dream about being in your league. But, why wouldn't a T post on each end, connected with clotheslines, and dangling training cords work?

Distributed weight/lineal foot is what kills you on that. Unsupported, on a 10' run, your PSI/PSL would cause "sag" (a.k.a. deflection) on anything under bout 9" centers on the support wire spacing.
The cost of materials would kill your budget on anything that would support that kind of weight over a "long span" (anything over 4')

Spanning the short dimension is the only way I was able to accomodate the anticipated weight/load on a long-box. If your growing something with smaller fruit/veggy (like beans) ....you could probably get away with it on a 10' unsupported span.

Last edited by acara on 10/5/2010, 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 10/5/2010, 8:00 pm

Only input I can provide is that having parallel trellises like your Solution B, each 4 feet long and 4 feet apart, didn't really play well in my SFG. I thought they would be far apart enough, but I had several issues with it:

First, they grew into each other despite the spacing (not a big deal if it's just one crop, I guess).

Second, I had trouble reaching. I am 6 feet tall with long arms, and my trellises were 6.5 ft high (I wanted to go higher but then thought better of it), and I still had trouble reaching to the middle of those trellises because I didn't want to step on my Mel's mix. If your boxes are only 2 feet deep this might not be so great a problem.

Third, I had some shading issues. Though my whole garden plan was a bit weird because it was on the north side of the house.

Last edited by Megan on 10/5/2010, 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix typo.)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Trellising a Long SFG bed Empty tomato boxes

Post  ander217 10/5/2010, 8:17 pm

Our setup may not be what you're looking for, but here is what we did for our tomatoes.

Our garden is 35' wide, including a 3' gate in the center. We made four 1' x 8' boxes and put two of them end-to-end on each side of the gate, next to our hog panel garden fence. We planted our tomatoes in two of those boxes. We made the conduit trellis mostly as Mel suggested, but we tied our strings from the top of the trellises to the top of the hog panels, and threaded our plants through the fence until they reached the strings. We set the rebar and upright trellis supports every four feet, then joined them across the top with four foot lengths of rebar. Instead of using the more expensive t-connectors we used electrical boxes to connect them across the top. I posted a photo of our set-up back in the spring. Someone later posted a set-up that was even more economical.

You could do the same thing with 2' wide boxes. It just worked better for our garden to use 1' boxes.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 10/5/2010, 11:08 pm

Megan wrote:
Second, I had trouble reaching. I am 6 feet tall with long arms, and my trellises were 6.5 ft high (I wanted to go higher but then thought better of it), and I still had trouble reaching to the middle of those trellises because I didn't want to step on my Mel's mix. If your boxes are only 2 feet deep this might not be so great a problem.

Current box build has a 4' wide outrigger trellis on the back of third row & I agree it's an uncomfortable stretch.

Also had same experience with heights ... SFG box trellis is 80" at top & I'm topping off growth at the top of the trellis to avoid a "Stanley" situation. The novelty of a 8'+ plant wore off about the 3rd time I had to haul out the ladder to trim/trellis .....lesson learned.

The 2' wide box should be accessible, based on a 18" reach (elbow to fingertip) ....assuming access from both sides.
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 10/5/2010, 11:13 pm

acara wrote:
Megan wrote:

Current box build has a 4' wide outrigger trellis on the back of third row & I agree it's an uncomfortable stretch.

Also had same experience with heights ... SFG box trellis is 80" at top & I'm topping off growth at the top of the trellis to avoid a "Stanley" situation. The novelty of a 8'+ plant wore off about the 3rd time I had to haul out the ladder to trim/trellis .....lesson learned.

The 2' wide box should be accessible, based on a 18" reach (elbow to fingertip) ....assuming access from both sides.

That's assuming you top them off. My pole beans went well beyond 2 feet over the top of the trellis before gravity finally brought them back down again...then, they were only 18" over top of the trellis..... Shocked

Plant exuberance is such a joy! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down