Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? Toplef10Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? I22gcj10Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? Toplef10Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? I22gcj10Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Today at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Today at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Calling Jalapeno Experts: Black Jalapenos???

+8
SFG in Chicago
AliSmith13
Jay Bird
sceleste54
janefss2002
chocolatepop
Megan
Weed 'em and Reap
12 posters

Go down

Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? Empty Calling Jalapeno Experts: Black Jalapenos???

Post  Weed 'em and Reap 8/31/2010, 8:26 pm

Hey, Lower South.
This is my first time growing Jalapenos. They're doing really well.
Lately, however, a whole bunch of them (the fruits) started turning black. It doesn't look anything like sun scald. The peppers still look healthy and firm. Most of my jalapenos turn a brownish color and then turn bright red, and pretty uniformly. The black ones are not turning colors (black) uniformly, just in a splotch. This is happening on 2 of my jalapeno plants. I have 2 other jalapeno plants that are not having this problem. The plant that has many blackish fruits on it was bought as a transplant. The other 3 I started from seed (one of which is just starting to get black splotches on its fruits). They've had these black splotches for some time without progressing to red. I did some googling, and it seems that this happens sometimes, due to cross pollination, or just a rare strain of jalapeno. I didn't really find much, however, and some info I found was even conflicting!
I thought I'd better ask the experts.
So, are these okay to eat? What do you think is going on?
Here are pictures:
Here is the blackest jalapeno, on the plant I bought as a transplant.
Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? 10510
Here is the same plant, different angle. The jalapeno in the top left corner is the same really black jalapeno from the picture above. It's only black on top. The underside is green.
Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? 10810
Here are more jalapenos from the same plant.
Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? 10610
Here is the other plant that just started doing this same thing. I started this plant from seed. This black splotch looks weird to me. PS - bad lighting. It's just shiny. The picture makes it look like a weird lighter color, but it's actually an all uniformly black and shiny blotch.
Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? 10410
Here is a picture of more jalapenos from the same plant as above, but aren't black. They turn a brownish-reddish color before turning bright red. (Brother-in-law requested some red jalapenos, so am letting them ripen.)
Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? 10710
Weed 'em and Reap
Weed 'em and Reap

Back to top Go down

Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? Empty Re: Calling Jalapeno Experts: Black Jalapenos???

Post  Megan 8/31/2010, 8:37 pm

I'm not in Lower South, and I am not really experienced... but I have a hot pepper that turns very dark purple / black, and it's just fine. Your plants look healthy to me, at least from those pictures. If the fruits' skin is starting to rot off / weep / etc. I would be worried, but if the skin in the dark areas seems just as firm as the rest of the fruit (which is what it looks like) it should be okay.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? Empty Re: Calling Jalapeno Experts: Black Jalapenos???

Post  Weed 'em and Reap 8/31/2010, 8:44 pm

Thanks Megan! That's what I figured; I just wanted some extra support.
Thank you!
Weed 'em and Reap
Weed 'em and Reap

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 8/31/2010, 8:51 pm

You're welcome! I think you're good, you just got a variety that turns color as it ripens. Don't be too surprised if it turns another color (like brown) if you cook it.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 8/31/2010, 9:16 pm

looks great to me also! Looks like maybe you have a crossed seed?
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  janefss2002 8/31/2010, 9:49 pm

I'm in the lower south but no expert. I grew a jalapeno last year that looked like yours. I also found this site with a picture of a totally deep purple jalapeno. It is pretty.

http://www.totallytomato.com/dp.asp?c=36&P={B4F1C0C3-9383-4F36-BEC5-7AF9846316B8}

Like I said, last year I had a pepper that surprised me with the dark black/purple splotches. It was wonderful! It was so good, it never reached full dark color all over. Hope this helps.

Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Female Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 8/31/2010, 10:54 pm

Some of mine do that and then gradually turn red. If I don't use them then they will get hard and fall off... the taste seems to be the same as when they are green. After they turn red they are just a smidge milder and sweeter.
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Bird 9/1/2010, 8:44 am

I have raised the J peppers for several years and determined that black splotches generally happen during the hottest part of the season and the peppers are going to be really hot, the hotter the weather the hotter the pepper, also not all varieties do this in my experiance the more mild lighter green peppers dont do it, I do however pick them as the splotches appear regardless of size.
Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Male Posts : 228

Back to top Go down

Post  AliSmith13 9/1/2010, 10:01 pm

Mine doing exactly the same thing, but seem fine. Edible and yummy! (Or so the hubby says, because I won't touch them.) He says the ones with black on them are much hotter, and of course the red ones are SUPER HOT. He won't eat them if they even have a little red on them because he can't take it!
AliSmith13
AliSmith13

Female Posts : 49

http://aliscouponadventures.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/1/2010, 10:07 pm

Isn't that one of the normal patterns of color change for peppers, though? Green - brown/black - yellow/red? I know different types go through different color changes, but I always thought that green represented the least ripe, and red the most ripe (and usually sweeter). I thought that heat was usually more relevant to size than color, the smaller being the hottest. Please feel free to correct me on this one, though!
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 9/2/2010, 12:32 am

I've got a jalapeno in a pot that looks just like that. It seems to be fine.
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? Empty Pepper colors

Post  ander217 9/3/2010, 8:13 am

My jalapanoes do that sometimes, and I've had bell peppers do the same thing, too. It never seems to affect the taste or quality and we've eaten them for years. I always figured it had something to do with the soil, either a lack or overabundance of some nutrient. My next guess would be the weather but I'm no expert either, and these are just guesses.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Calling Jalapeno Experts:  Black Jalapenos??? Empty Black jalapenos

Post  Weedinhoe 9/30/2012, 1:02 pm

I'm in east central Georgia and this color change seems to happen every year beginning in late summer and is very pronounced in the fall. They're wonderfully green all summer long but that color change starts from the top down and mostly on one side. The peppers themselves are fine.

This year I grew both the generic jalapeno and the 'Mucho Nacho' variety side by side for comparative purposes and the color change is equal on both.
Weedinhoe
Weedinhoe

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 9/30/2012, 3:12 pm

My mucho nacho jalapenos turned red.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/30/2012, 7:57 pm

Same thing happened to us last fall: huge jalapeno bush covered with peppers that started to develop, not green, but black. Could it have something to do with cooler temperatures? Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 9/30/2012, 10:21 pm

I'm in the Florida Panhandle, and most of my jalapenos ripen that way, especially the "TAM" variety.. and they were just fine...Smile
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down