Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 Toplef10Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 I22gcj10Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 Toplef10Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 I22gcj10Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?

+8
kiwirose
Retired Member 1
CarolynPhillips
janefss2002
boffer
acara
GloriaG
Ha-v-v
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 Empty Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?

Post  junequilt 9/15/2010, 1:35 pm

Sorry, I forgot -- you can plant garlic chives anytime.
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?

Post  Megan 9/15/2010, 8:05 pm

Chives are an invasive perennial. They spread slowly, though, so you can certainly start them in a SFG... but if you want to grow them as a perennial, I suggest you containerize unless you want to dedicate the whole SFG bed to them. Over time, the roots/tubers become really densely packed to where you have to hack at them with a shovel just to break them apart. And I mean, raising the shovel to your shoulders and putting your back into it like it was an axe. The root mass on mine is probably 6"+ from top to bottom. I hacked a few clumps off for friends and it was a lot more exertion than I expected, nor do I want to repeat it any time soon (but I will, if someone really wants some and comes to pick it up! Smile )

My chives overwinter outdoors fine (freeze/ice/snow) in large containers. I don't do anything to protect them. For new starts... if you mulch them well they might stand a chance... or put them in your greenhouse/bring indoors for the first winter.

Good luck! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/15/2010, 8:43 pm

thank you, that was interesting information.
I am so glad I can sow my chives.

Sadly---I never got around to sowing seeds today. I was working in the
greenhouse most of the day.

CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/17/2010, 9:53 pm

I had no idea that chives would spread and take over. Im kinda Shocked

I finally finished filling my bed with soil this evening. I been feeling kinda worn out.
(wonder why)
and I sprayed my soil down with dish detergent and mouth wash as I was adding
the used soil to the bed.........to help prevent fungus from breeding from any debris
that may have made it to the bed while dumping used soil in.

My sister is bringing over some lettuce seeds in the morning to share with me.
It is still to hot here to grow lettuce without shade. This weeks heat index will fluctuate
around 100.
So----- I am building another 4x4 for just lettuce and setting it up so I can put a
40% shade cloth over it..........
study
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/17/2010, 10:58 pm

toads have buried themselves in my concrete block holes. I noticed a hole next
to a strawberry plant and thought----geeeeeee, I must of did that while i was
watering but don't know how. so I reached down to fill the hole and Toad jumped out.

affraid
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/17/2010, 11:01 pm

Whee! Gonna give him (or her) a name? Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/17/2010, 11:31 pm

i love frogs----but "he" (George) scared the snot out of me. affraid
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 9/20/2010, 1:57 pm

Three of my beds are concrete block and I put cap blocks on 2 spots on the long side of each bed (inside of each bed is 3.5' x 7.5') so I can sit and lean in to weed, plant, etc. I then planted each of the other holes with some type of herb, bug repellent plant like marigolds, or small, leafy green like sorrel. Mine are 2 blocks high, plus the cap block, and it takes it to a nice seated height of 18".

And I just got my fall seeds in place in the garden this weekend. My brassicas and some other stuff I had started indoors, and those have been planted for nearly a month, now. At least I got those started and planted in a timely manner!
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 Empty I think they like the Mel's mix

Post  acara 9/20/2010, 6:12 pm

CarolynPhillips wrote:i love frogs----but "he" (George) scared the snot out of me. affraid

I have same over the weekend (amphibious invaders).

I mixed up some Mels mix to get ready for my radish sprouts that emerged sooner than expected. I ran out of daylight and left the mix on the porch overnight. The next morning, I came out to put the mix in the containers and frogs came jumping out every time I went for another spadeful of mix.

I think they like the consistency to burrow in ... or vermiculite is an amphibian-aphrodesiac ....or something Laughing
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/21/2010, 8:59 am

Frogs::::I think they like the soil consistency too. It is nice and loose and easy to get out of hot weather.

I have more seeds to sow.
I have sown---Toy Choy, Radish, Beets, Turnip Greens, Chives, Garlic Chives, Carrots,

Still have to sow----Lettuce Mix, Lettuce Little Gem, Lettuce Tom Thumb, Early Purple Broc.
::::Corn Salad, Red Lettuce Petite Rouge, Ching Chang Bok Choy
::::Still working on building the Salad Bed

CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/21/2010, 8:27 pm

Year Round Covered Wagon Salad Bed
Summer Shade
Winter Poly

should be finished tomorrow---soil and seeding.

cheers

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 100_0221
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 9/21/2010, 8:32 pm

Wish I could build with CBS block ... but HOA would have a loss of bowel control.

I'm sure they are already locked away in their secret HQ, plotting away on how to change the charter to somehow condemn my SFG.

acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/22/2010, 4:37 pm

Just chatting

Since my sfg beds are built out of 8" x 16" concrete blocks, it is easier
for me to lay out my squares in 8 inches instead of 12 inches. Most everything
I grow is grown 4 inch apart or 8 inch or 16 inch. My plants get big so this works
out better for me. (except for carrots and radishes, etc....)
an 8 inch grid for the salad bed is perfect for me.

I know you know what a grid looks like but I was just taking a break from working
out in that sun and was doodling. ---took a pic of my doodling and posting it.
My salad garden will grow 192 leafy plants 4 inches apart. Gee, can we eat that much?

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 100_0223
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/22/2010, 4:52 pm

if i get on your nerves just let me know===i post pics of everything.

My salad garden took about 38 cu ft of soil. It is deeper than it has to be but it
raises it up so I can tend to it better. (arthritis in knees) Sometimes I get down and can't get back up.
It only has "vermiculite" in the upper 6 to 8 inches mixed with compost and peat where it is needed the most.
The lower 6 to 8 inchs is mostly peat moss and perlite mix with a little compost.

Can sow seeds now. The hard part is over . sawing logs

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 100_0224
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/22/2010, 6:09 pm

No I should not plant the leaf lettuce every 4 inches.

someone said I could plant the leaf lettuce every 4 inches and the loose head every 6 inches.
But I am leery of putting leaf every 4 inches. I put them all every 6 inches.----Except in the blocks---there will be only one per block hole. Its all sown----can't undo it.
I had to figure all this out between forums and websites. not able to have instant chat with anyone
Sometimes you see things more clearly when you can talk about it instead of just thinking to yourself.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/22/2010, 10:01 pm

I planted my leaf lettuce this spring at 16 to a square foot and it was tight. It probably would have worked fine if I had been a bit more attentive about pulling some early plants to eat and leaving the others to grow at more like 9 per square. (This issue was compounded by the fact that I planted 2-3 seeds per each of the 16 spots.... you get the idea.) It was still very tasty, though!

One thing I have noticed about the big beds (4 foot wide) is that eventually you need a place to lean your non-dominant hand or put your feet to try to get in close to prune or pick, etc. I have very long arms and I have trouble sometimes, but I am bound and determined not to step on the SFG soil. Has anyone else had issues with this? At soil level it's not a big deal but trying to reach the top of a 6.5 foot trellis a couple feet in (plus the plants growing above the top of the trellis) can be a little challenging.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 Empty Reaching center of 4x4

Post  GloriaG 9/22/2010, 10:20 pm

Hi Megan,

I sympathize with you. I'm fairly short and sometimes have trouble reaching the center of my 4x4's. I though it might just be me.

I've found that "straddling" the corner - with your feet caddy-cornered on each side helps a lot. It moves the center of gravity in toward the center of the bed a little. I'm not sure if it would help though if your bed is long.

I'll be interested to hear what everyone else has to say.
Good luck,
Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/22/2010, 10:23 pm

yes have trouble reaching in to that 4ft bed when i cannot get around the whole bed------My biggest mistake was putting my long bed against a wall. I hope to change this in the spring.......I really dread it cause it is a concrete block bed and i will have to completely relevel the main ground if I make the bed narrower. Either that or I could grow some tall flowers on the back side---that doesn't need much maintenance. -----Im not satisfied with that idea either----- Last option would be for me to place a board in the
middle of the bed so I can step up and tend to the back side.

WHAT was i thinking???????? Oh yeh----I wasn't.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/22/2010, 10:28 pm

Oh yeh, about those lettuce seeds------I have a hard time making myself
do away with the extra seedlings too. I have sown 2 to 4 seeds per spot.
I will see how this batch of lettuce grows-----then make changes if any in the spring crop.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/22/2010, 10:33 pm

Carolyn, could you lay a 2x4 on its edge down the middle of the bed as a sort of stepping stone to get into the middle of the bed?

And Gloria, yes, I've played straddling games standing on my landscaping timbers. I am six feet tall myself with really long arms, so I figured if I have troubles, others probably do, too. A couple of times I nearly wound up on my keester in the middle of the SFG, trying to reach my pole beans! Laughing I set my trellises to go through the middle of my beds from side to side, rather than along one edge. I'm sure that has contributed to the issue. I really can't set them the other way, though, as it will block our view of our vehicles in their parking places, plus the sunlight would be all wonky.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 9/22/2010, 10:38 pm

Did the same thing with mine....WTH was I thinking butting my 4 x 4 against a wall .... pale

Only thing that save me was the individual outrigger trellises I built ... otherwise I'd be toast
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/22/2010, 10:58 pm

I will put a board down for maintaining---just loose that space for growing .

Acara: What is your outrigger trellis? pics?

( me= 5' 11" )
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/22/2010, 11:01 pm

CarolynPhillips wrote:
( me= 5' 11" )

High-Five! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 9/22/2010, 11:28 pm

CarolynPhillips wrote:Acara: What is your outrigger trellis? pics?

( me= 5' 11" )

The Frankenstein SFG build ...

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 Day2c

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 Day2d

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 CompletedSFG4x4Box

They are sectional, a foot above the planting surface and can be pivoted/moved around(slightly)/out of the way ..

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 SFGBoxsideview

acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 9/23/2010, 12:53 am

Hummmmmm...... Megan you've given me food for thought! Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  - Page 2 601593

I've got most of my fall garden planted - but I've still got one 4x4 for the later crops like peas, garlic, onions and spinach to put in.

I was planning on planting the peas in the 4 edge squares with the garlic and onions in front. I knew I wouldn't be able to reach past the peas - so I wanted something very low maintenance directly in front of them. But now I'm wondering if I'll be able to reach through the peas to pick those on the front of the trellis. Up to this point, I've put all my vine/trellised crops in individual self-watering containers. That way I can access them from all sides.

Thanks for letting me know.
Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next