Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
May in the lower south Toplef10May in the lower south 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

May in the lower south I22gcj10May in the lower south 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
May in the lower south Toplef10May in the lower south 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

May in the lower south I22gcj10May in the lower south 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

May in the lower south

+4
Pollinator
AtlantaMarie
yolos
walshevak
8 posters

Go down

May in the lower south Empty May in the lower south

Post  walshevak 5/1/2014, 6:13 pm

I will be so glad when the rains stop.  The only damage I had from last Friday's storms that spawned the local tornado was the tulle on my beds.  But I haven't had enough non rain hours to repair yet.  I'm mostly worried about cabbage moths as my brassica beds are really looking good, especially since I got such a late start.  Got these pictures during a break this afternoon.  Maybe tomorrow.  

Kay

May in the lower south Dscn1835

May in the lower south Dscn1836

May in the lower south Dscn1834

May in the lower south Dscn1833

Last edited by walshevak on 5/24/2014, 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

May in the lower south Empty Re: May in the lower south

Post  yolos 5/1/2014, 8:11 pm

Oh no, that looks bad.  We had 40 - 50 mph winds and no damage to my tulle.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/4/2014, 4:57 pm

Well I've managed to get all the beds planted and half the beds redressed in tulle.  Lowes had some storm damaged raspberries, blackberries and blueberries marked at half price so I picked up 5 blueberries, 2 raspberries and 2 blackberries plus a green seedless grape. Had to pay full price for one of the blueberries to get a different variety for pollination. Took me 2 days but they are planted.

My April planted peas are reaching for the trellis and I'm eating lettuce and spinach from the starts.  All the seeded lettuce, bok choy, chinese cabbage, spinach, kale, collards, and radishes are growing well.   The April planted broccoli and red cabbage starts are getting big.  May is when peas are usually picked, but mine are way behind.  Although the March planted peas didn't come up until a a few days before I planted more.  If our weather patterns go back to normal, the heat may be here before I can get much harvested.

Garlic and shallots are looking good in their cement mixing tubs.  My bay laurel tree survived the winter in the garage but is looking very sad in its bucket.  Slowly putting out some new growth.  I'm taking a chance with it anyway as it is only hard to zone 9 and I'm zone 8.  

Put the tomato and pepper starts out last week just before the big storms.  They came though it fine in their buckets.  I have lots of tomato volunteers and put some in buckets.  They were so tiny. The sungold cherry skin that I found with sprouting seed in it has sprouted out half a dozen plants.  And I couldn't find any San Marzano starts so I started seeds for them.  May be late tomatoes but will supplement the starts.  Bought one hot pepper start, a yellow cayenne, but then found the dried peppers from last year and decided to see if I could get any of the super hots.  I've got 6 tiny yellow scorpians, 6 tiny Butch T scorpians, and 2 tiny Philippine peppers.  Put all outside in their cups today to start hardening off.  Will probably plant in a few days.

Tomorrow I will finished putting tulle on the beds.

Seems funny to be starting seeds inside at the same time as planting summer squash and beans outside.  Upside down year.

AND I ATE MY FIRST STRAWBERRY TODAY.  HAD TO SHARE WITH SOME BUGS, BUT I GOT THE BIGGER BITE.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/5/2014, 8:12 am

Kay, that made me tired just reading it!  You've sure been busy.  But it'll quickly be worth it.

Congrats on the strawberry!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 5/5/2014, 10:16 am

walshevak wrote: And I couldn't find any San Marzano starts so I started seeds for them.  

AND I ATE MY FIRST STRAWBERRY TODAY.  HAD TO SHARE WITH SOME BUGS, BUT I GOT THE BIGGER BITE. Kay

Wow you are busy! Sorry about your damage. We weren't hit, but had a half hour gully-washer that dropped an inch and a half. Everything else went around us. I was glad for just that, because we are so soggy.

Do you have trouble with Blossom End Rot on your San Marzanos? I found them so prone to BER that I quit growing them, and am now happily growing Rio Grande, which are a Roma type, but larger and much better adapted to the South.

My strawberries are in buckets. I lost the first round to the slubs (and I'm not willing to share). So I set them on top of my riding lawn mower, and so far they haven't found them. Nice to have some fresh ones.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/5/2014, 10:25 am

The weather is odd here in Massachusetts,  too. I had bought and planted some tomatoes by this time last year. I had a lot of my garden in already by this time. It's not much to look at so far this year.

Speaking of strawberries,  I noticed some flowers on mine this morning! Yahoooo, I'm so excited! I mulched the strawberry bed with pine needles this spring and the plants just took off with all that rain and a little bit of sunshine. Buds all over the place. I hope its going to be a good year for them. Hopefully we'll be enjoying some soon!
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/5/2014, 3:18 pm

Pollinator wrote:
walshevak wrote: And I couldn't find any San Marzano starts so I started seeds for them.  

AND I ATE MY FIRST STRAWBERRY TODAY.  HAD TO SHARE WITH SOME BUGS, BUT I GOT THE BIGGER BITE.  Kay

Wow you are busy!  Sorry about your damage. We weren't hit, but had a half hour gully-washer that dropped an inch and a half. Everything else went around us.  I was glad for just that, because we are so soggy.

Do you have trouble with Blossom End Rot on your San Marzanos?  I found them so prone to BER that I quit growing them, and am now happily growing Rio Grande, which are a Roma type, but larger and much better adapted to the South.

My strawberries are in buckets. I lost the first round to the slubs (and I'm not willing to share). So I set them on top of my riding lawn mower, and so far they haven't found them. Nice to have some fresh ones.

Don't know if it is helping, but I don't have much problem with BER.  I put powdered milk and epsom salts in the planting hole of every tomato plant.  

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 5/6/2014, 3:48 pm

walshevak wrote:
Pollinator wrote:

AND I ATE MY FIRST STRAWBERRY TODAY.  HAD TO SHARE WITH SOME BUGS, BUT I GOT THE BIGGER BITE.  Kay

Wow you are busy!  Sorry about your damage. We weren't hit, but had a half hour gully-washer that dropped an inch and a half. Everything else went around us.  I was glad for just that, because we are so soggy.

Do you have trouble with Blossom End Rot on your San Marzanos?  I found them so prone to BER that I quit growing them, and am now happily growing Rio Grande, which are a Roma type, but larger and much better adapted to the South.

Don't know if it is helping, but I don't have much problem with BER.  I put powdered milk and epsom salts in the planting hole of every tomato plant.  

Kay
Kay,  I put some powdered milk and epsom salts in some of my tomato plant holes last year.  I tried so many different things, I'm not sure what may have helped.  In any case, I did not have any problems with mildew, blight, BER etc.  How much of each substance do you put in each hole?
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/6/2014, 4:14 pm

Here's a thread that I saw last year. The Search Box is helpful for finding subjects previously discussed.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t12249-blossom-end-rot?highlight=Blossom+end+rot

My Roma had BER. I added 1/4 cup of Epson salts and 1/4 of non-fat powdered milk dissolved in 2 cups of water to the plant (I think I did it twice about a month apart) and the BER stopped. I read somewhere that the paste tomatoes are the most susceptible to BER.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 5/6/2014, 4:20 pm

sanderson wrote:Here's a thread that I saw last year.  The Search Box is helpful for finding subjects previously discussed.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t12249-blossom-end-rot?highlight=Blossom+end+rot

My Roma had BER.  I added 1/4 cup of Epson salts and 1/4 of non-fat powdered milk dissolved in 2 cups of water to the plant (I think I did it twice about a month apart) and the BER stopped.  I read somewhere that the paste tomatoes are the most susceptible to BER.
Thanks for your response sanderson.  You are awesome!   Smile

One last question though... you mentioned putting the stuff in the planting hole.  Is the forumula you just mentioned only an emergency response to be watered on the affected plant?
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/6/2014, 4:38 pm

WM, Is the question for Kay or for me? I poured the solution all around the square after the plant started showing BER.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

May in the lower south Empty Oh dear

Post  Windmere 5/6/2014, 6:04 pm

sanderson wrote:WM,  Is the question for Kay or for me?  I poured the solution all around the square after the plant started showing BER.
Sorry sanderson... I did not see that it was Kay who wrote about the substances in the hole.  However, I did appreciate your mentioning about pouring your formula around square of affected plant.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/6/2014, 9:44 pm

I used the same 1/4 cup amounts of powder in the planting holes.  I will admit that some tomatoes that I planted later got forgotten with the treatment, so when I remembered I also made a liquid and poured it on.   Don't know if it worked or if BER would not have been a problem anyway, but a little prevention beats waiting to see.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

May in the lower south Empty thanks

Post  Windmere 5/7/2014, 12:01 am

walshevak wrote:I used the same 1/4 cup amounts of powder in the planting holes.  I will admit that some tomatoes that I planted later got forgotten with the treatment, so when I remembered I also made a liquid and poured it on.   Don't know if it worked or if BER would not have been a problem anyway, but a little prevention beats waiting to see.

Kay
Thanks for your response Kay.  Yep, prevention is the way to go if it's nontoxic.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/24/2014, 10:00 pm

May in the lower south Dscn1910
Some of these pictures were taken yesterday and matching pictures taken today after some weeding and trellis work.

The strawberry beds.  Tulle is down low to keep the birds out but leave room for insects for pollination.  Borage seeds in the planter and a volunteer tomato in the bucket

May in the lower south Dscn1911

May in the lower south Dscn1923

After taking yesterday's pictures, I realized some of the plants are getting ready to bloom or climb and needed to be uncovered.  In today's picture the Zucchini in front and right,  pumpkins to the rear, onions and peppers in middle. and some volunteer lemon basil here and there.

May in the lower south Dscn1912

May in the lower south Dscn1924

cukes reaching for trellis, mustard greens, chard and kale still under wraps

May in the lower south Dscn1913

May in the lower south Dscn1925

long beans on trellis, red cabbage under a tulle cover in middle and yellow squash on right.  Blooming eggplants in front of beans

May in the lower south Dscn1914

May in the lower south Dscn1926

acorn squash on left, peppers to rear, patty pan squash front, butternut squash on right.  What happens when you forget which square you planted the carrots in and plant onion seed.  see middle.  I moved some of the onion to the square the carrots were supposed to be in and will move some more when I take out the broccoli.

May in the lower south Dscn1915

May in the lower south Dscn1927

Fixed the pea trellis to right and cleared out the weeds from the kale, spinach, the bolting bok choy, and collards.

May in the lower south Dscn1916

May in the lower south Dscn1928

more peas, kale, spinach.  pulled the bolting bok choy

May in the lower south Dscn1920

May in the lower south Dscn1929

Uncovered the cantaloupe on the right.  The greens in the middle are 3 weeks ago thinings from the previous bed.

May in the lower south Dscn1930

Uncovered the watermelons on left so they can start climbing.

May in the lower south Dscn1921

Yesterday's picture shows the lima beans not ready to be uncovered yet.  Need to get them a trellis

May in the lower south Dscn1931

Today's picture from a different angle shows the dill, purple basil, 2 hot peppers, broccoli and butternut squash on left.  It is a later planting and not ready for its trellis.

May in the lower south Dscn1922

The last broccoli unless I get some side shoots.

May in the lower south Dscn1932

A cement tub with shallots and radacchio

May in the lower south Dscn1933

The other tub with radishes, garlic, and red lettuce.  I'm afraid the garlic is about ready to be pulled because the tops are dying, but the bulbs underneath don't seem to be ready.  In the ground since Nov.

May in the lower south Dscn1934

Carrot week carrots in blue pots and volunteer parsley or cilantro in yellow pot.

May in the lower south Dscn1935

Sweet peppers in silver buckets and chives blooming

May in the lower south Dscn1936

spinach thinnings needed a home so they got this pot

May in the lower south Dscn1937

My five new blueberry bushes 1/2 price at Lowes 1st of May due to storm damage. Back by the white pipe is a fig root that I thought had died.  Planted two pitiful roots last Aug.  The other one never even got started.

May in the lower south Dscn1938

My newest grape.  1/2 price at Lowes 2 weeks ago.  A green seedless.
May in the lower south Dscn1939

Starting the third summer on grapes.  Red on left purchased and a scuppernong gift on right.  Scuppernong looks like two vines, but it is only one.

May in the lower south Dscn1941

2 red raspberry and 2 blackberry plants got 1/2 price due to storm damage.  The distant plant is a blackberry starting its 3rd summer.  The rabbits ate the golden and the other red that year.

May in the lower south Dscn1942

Pomegranate started from seed in 2011 in little black pot.  I think it needs a new home.  Bay tree in yellow pot.  They are only hardy to zone 9.  Key limes in other pots.

May in the lower south Dscn1943

Calamansi citrus started from seed last year from seed brought back from Philippines by my DIL.

May in the lower south Dscn1944

and the tomatoes.  bought 5, started seed for 3.  not shown are 3 other buckets with volunteers I found in the various beds.  Gave away and discarded lots more.  There is a volunteer in the flower pot next to the spinach pot in picture above.

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/25/2014, 2:49 am

Kay, Thanks for sharing. Everything looks so healthy. The TTs have got to make gardening easier. ??
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/25/2014, 5:21 am

Looking great, Kay! You have been BUSY!!!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/25/2014, 7:54 am

+1, GG!  Makes me tired just looking at it.  But how you'll enjoy that harvest!!!

On your blueberries, you might put some mini pine nuggets or something down.  They're azalea cousins & like acid.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/25/2014, 8:18 am

Wow, you have a lot of things going on there.  Even more exceptional is that you were out of the country for quite a while.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/25/2014, 8:47 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:+1, GG!  Makes me tired just looking at it.  But how you'll enjoy that harvest!!!

On your blueberries, you might put some mini pine nuggets or something down.  They're azalea cousins & like acid.

There is a good amount of peat moss in the planting holes.  My son has pine trees and I hope to get some bags of pine straw on my next visit.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content