Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! Toplef10I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! I22gcj10I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! Toplef10I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! I22gcj10I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I did it!!! I canned for the first time!!!

+4
boffer
camprn
Megan
milaneyjane
8 posters

Go down

I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! Empty I did it!!! I canned for the first time!!!

Post  milaneyjane 8/14/2010, 12:08 am

WooHoo!!! I made salsa today and canned it I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! Icon_biggrin. I researched like crazy on canners and was going to go with a pressure cooker/canner that is online at Walmart with great reviews. And then I realized most everything that I will be canning this year is suggested to can using the hot water bath method. So instead of the $90 pressure canner, I went with the $18 hot water canner (the big black pan) and can always borrow my neighbors pressure canner if necessary. I bought the Ball Canning cookbook, but used a canning salsa recipe a friend uses. My friends recipe followed the Ball instructions so it worked out great. But salsa is a LOT of work. I had to blanch, peel, seed and dice 24 cups of tomato besides all the other ingredients and ended up with 11 pints of salsa almost 5 hours later. I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! Icon_eek

It is nice to see so many veges from my garden all in one jar including tomato, green pepper, jalapeno, and onions.

This weekend I am going to can Dilly Beans, and hot pepper rings too.

Rebecca
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! Empty Re: I did it!!! I canned for the first time!!!

Post  Megan 8/14/2010, 5:15 am

CONGRATS!!! You give me hope. I am going to try canning this weekend as well. I am going to stick with hot water bath, and freeze the other things.

Your salsa sounds fantastic. My tomatoes are only just starting... had the first one just today. Can't wait! Smile
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! Empty Re: I did it!!! I canned for the first time!!!

Post  camprn 8/14/2010, 8:03 am

milaneyjane wrote:WooHoo!!! salsa is a LOT of work. I had to blanch, peel, seed and dice 24 cups of tomato besides all the other ingredients and ended up with 11 pints of salsa almost 5 hours later. I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! Icon_eek
Rebecca
Congratulations, it will get easier the more you do it. You are so going to love that salsa in February!! way to go
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/14/2010, 11:19 am

yahoo That's going to be the best tasting salsa you've ever eaten! Now that you know you can do it, what's next?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 8/14/2010, 11:59 am

WooHoo!!! salsa is a LOT of work. I had to blanch, peel, seed and dice
24 cups of tomato besides all the other ingredients and ended up with
11 pints of salsa almost 5 hours later. I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! Icon_eek

Great job!!! I am encouraged !!!!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/14/2010, 5:15 pm

Very exciting! I was going to post on this today also. I started A LOT simpler. Half pint jars of pickles. LOL. They are still cooling - did not read about checking seals until I was done. Not sure I wiped the rims well enough and filled the jars a tad too full, but got the drift. Have been saving dill seed heads so got to use them. Can't wait to check them after they cool and to...eat them eventually!

I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! Tommy_18

Don't worry. Any that didn't seal properly I will redo with new caps or just use as refrigerator pickes. Hopefully they all took.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  glasgrl 8/14/2010, 10:02 pm

Chopper wrote:Have been saving dill seed heads so got to use them.

Did you grow the dill yourself? When do you pick the heads? When the flowers have developed into round heads before they go to seed? Did you dry them?

I need to pick my dill now, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I planted my Homemade Pickles cucumbers late, so they're just beginning to product cucumbers now. It will be awhile before I can use the dill heads.

Thanks!

-Michelle
glasgrl
glasgrl

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/14/2010, 10:48 pm

glasgrl wrote:Did you grow the dill yourself? When do you pick the heads? When the flowers have developed into round heads before they go to seed? Did you dry them?

I need to pick my dill now, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I planted my Homemade Pickles cucumbers late, so they're just beginning to produce cucumbers now. It will be awhile before I can use the dill heads.

Thanks!

-Michelle

I planted my cukes late, too. I grew the dill myself and I picked the heads when the flowers were gone and it looked kind of brown. Then I put them in a brown paper bag closed with a rubber band. This way you don't lose any seed if they fall out. I figured that if the heads lost their seeds I would just use the seeds themselves. They were all pretty much intact after 3 weeks in the bag, though.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 8/15/2010, 7:41 pm

My cukes didn't last in the fridge. I can't blame them, they held for WEEKS but I didn't get off my keester in time to take care of them.

Tonight, though, I tried canning for the first time. I found a recipe in the Blue Ball book for Garlic Jelly and I just couldn't resist. I think it went pretty well, except for the boilover.... Lesson learned: Pick a saucepan much deeper than you think you need. I used my biggest one and it was still too small. Next time I'll use my second stockpot -- I used the first one for the actual canning. It was so great to hear them all ping after I took them out of the boiling water!

I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! Photo-724580
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

I did it!!!  I canned for the first time!!! Empty Canners

Post  ander217 8/16/2010, 9:49 am

I am so proud of you all for canning! Your photos look great.

Regarding dill, I usually pick mine just after flowering while still green, in between the stage of flowers and brown seeds so I get the dill flavor, but don't have to worry about brown seeds floating around in my jars. The seeds give it a little different flavor - not better or worse, just different.

Megan, what do you do with your garlic jelly?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 8/16/2010, 5:36 pm

ander217 wrote:Megan, what do you do with your garlic jelly?

Don't know yet! Very Happy I'm thinking it would make a great basis for a sauce, marinade, or glaze... and of course I also can't resist trying it on some bread.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down