Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? Toplef10What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? I22gcj10What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? Toplef10What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? I22gcj10What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What Have You Canned or Put Up Today?

+3
Scorpio Rising
yolos
sanderson
7 posters

Go down

What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? Empty What Have You Canned or Put Up Today?

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 9:37 pm

What have you canned or put up today from the garden?  I've been canning (and freezing) from the garden for the last 3 weeks.  Prior to that I canned in-season strawberries and cherries for jam.

April 8, 2022.  Strawberry jam.
What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? Cannin23

June 9, 2022.  Sweet Cherry Jam.
What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? Cannin22

June 20, 2022.  First batch of salsa.
What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? Salsa_16

June 21, 2022.  Tomato skins dehydrated outdoors with a final heat and drying treatment in the dehydrator.  I grind for tomato powder as extra flavoring when cooking.
What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? Dehydr15

No photo of the second batch of salsa that was canned for 4th of July celebration.

July 9-10, 2022.  Marinated Mushrooms, one jar of pickled pimento, and 3rd batch of Salsa, 3/4 of a recipe.  Note:  The small salsa with a used lid is for the refrigerator.  The jar of Mushrooms that are less than full are also for the refrigerator.
What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? Cannin24

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

glfitzsimmons likes this post

Back to top Go down

What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? Empty Re: What Have You Canned or Put Up Today?

Post  yolos 7/11/2022, 10:42 pm

I have been freezing (in food saver bags) a lot of beans and peas and some potatoes.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? Empty Re: What Have You Canned or Put Up Today?

Post  sanderson 7/11/2022, 11:51 pm

Yolos, how do you freeze potatoes? They don't get mushy?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/12/2022, 12:32 pm

That’s a great idea about tomato skins!  I love it!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/12/2022, 2:03 pm

sanderson wrote:Yolos, how do you freeze potatoes?  They don't get mushy?
I boil them a little to help with later cooking.  I only use them to put in my southern cooked green beans.  I cook them in the liquid from cooking the ham hock and beans.  Then combine them with the green beans and freeze.  They are not all the way cooked and do not get real mushy.  They are cooked a little more when the beans are heated up for serving.

But I have frozen quite a few in the past.  Slice them and cook aldente.  Then freeze them in food saver.  Later defrost and use in various recipes that require more cooking.   Mashed potatoes, cheese and sliced potatoes, home fries etc .
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/13/2022, 7:44 am

I have some strawberry syrup to get canned.  Also juice from maraschino cherries. 

Need to do something with some potatoes & onions we have in storage...   thinking

We got a great deal from the restaurant supply place we belong to on yogurt & sour cream.  10 lbs of yogurt is on the freeze dryer now.  (This makes 30 lbs so far that we've done.  Once it is dried & powdered, 3 tbl = 1 cup of reconstituted.)  I've got 10 lbs of sour cream waiting.  

Need to do some meatballs for my mom & us with some of our 15 lbs of hamburger.  I'll can those.  And hamburgers for the freezer.  And 5 lbs will go for chili for one of our class lunches this weekend.  

Cooked 10 lbs of chicken leg quarters in the slow cooker last night.  I'll shred those today & save the skin/bones (to go with skin/bones from the other 30 lbs of leg quarters plus the thighs we picked up) to make bouillon.  

And I need to get a bunch of stuff that have come off the freeze drier in the last several days put up.  We've done 5 gallons of strawberries & 30 lbs of mixed veggies along with a pound cake (in the dryer now) I made to go with some of those strawberries for longer term storage.

Oh, & I need to pull this big turkey out of the freezer & make it for this weekend.  That'll open up some much-needed freezer space...  I'll freeze dry the left overs.

Busy, busy...   What a Face
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

sanderson and glfitzsimmons like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/13/2022, 10:06 am

Dang AM, you are a busy bee!  I love the taste of those things in the dead of winter…and the sweet taste of a deal!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/13/2022, 3:00 pm

AM, You have got to share some Freeze Dry photos. Both on this site and this one: https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t20877-freeze-dried-food?highlight=freeze+dry

From what I have read, Freeze Drying is a good way to preserve food for long terms.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/14/2022, 9:28 am

Sanderson, we really like it.  I like having everything shelf-stable.  We're slowly & surely getting our freezers unloaded.  Especially with what we're hearing about rolling power outages.  If it's happening out west, it'll get here eventually....  And that way, if DH wants X for dinner & I want Y, it's easy to pull them out.

Don't currently have pics, but will try to get some done.

Time to go get the yogurt & cake off the machine.  I'm hoping to have another load in this afternoon.   Very Happy
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 7/19/2022, 11:13 am

I made my first batch of salsa for the season using the last of tomatoes from last summer and fresh jalapenos and cilantro from this season. I also canned some banana peppers for the first time! I hope they turn out ok!! 

Tomorrow I will attempt making pickles! Last year I only made refrigerator pickles (which were amazing). This year I wanted to try making them shelf stable. Wish me luck!!
JAM23
JAM23

glfitzsimmons likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Chuck d'Argy 7/19/2022, 12:58 pm

sanderson wrote:Yolos, how do you freeze potatoes?  They don't get mushy?
I read this a few days ago, so I will be going from memory. That's always a dangerous and suspect venture, but the lack is in the details. You can look it up online to verify. Sorry, I am on my way out the door and don't have time right now to look it up again. And I'll probably forget later.

Some potato varieties freeze better that others. The more "Wax" type potatoes freeze better that the other kind, "Not Wax"(?) is the best I can do. 

The article I read was more specific about which variety was which, I just didn't write it down.
Chuck d'Argy
Chuck d'Argy

Back to top Go down

What Have You Canned or Put Up Today? Empty Not much ripe in Utah!

Post  tboofy 7/20/2022, 12:22 am

Y'all are obviously warmer than we are here in Utah (and/or got your gardens in a lot earlier).  I just finished canning raspberry jam. I have a picture but no idea how to post it. My tomatoes are far from ripe, though I'm looking forward to canning them.
tboofy

AtlantaMarie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/20/2022, 1:04 am

How to post a photo. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t21775-update-2017-how-to-post-a-picture-located-on-your-computer

It looks like you are on schedule for your area. https://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-calendar/UT/Salt%20Lake%20City

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

tboofy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 7/20/2022, 8:02 am

tboofy wrote:Y'all are obviously warmer than we are here in Utah (and/or got your gardens in a lot earlier).  I just finished canning raspberry jam. I have a picture but no idea how to post it. My tomatoes are far from ripe, though I'm looking forward to canning them.

My tomatoes are far from ripe too tboofy! I used tomatoes that I froze at the end of last summer to make my salsa. I figured I better use up what I grew last year before the new tomatoes are ready. 

I hope to make my own raspberry jam some day. I just planted 6 raspberry canes this spring, so it will be awhile....
JAM23
JAM23

AtlantaMarie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down