Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Our Home to Be Toplef10Our Home to Be 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Our Home to Be I22gcj10Our Home to Be 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Our Home to Be Toplef10Our Home to Be 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Our Home to Be I22gcj10Our Home to Be 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Our Home to Be

+7
sceleste54
Chopper
Furbalsmom
boffer
chocolatepop
Wyldflower
Ha-v-v
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Our Home to Be Empty Our Home to Be

Post  Ha-v-v 8/12/2010, 10:00 pm

I wanted to share out of the box today:) My husband Jeff made a short video of our house going up. What you dont see in this video is the tiny 30 ft travel trailer busting at the seams with us in it. Can you say sardines!!

Just a little something of what we do here at our place.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Our Home to Be Empty Re: Our Home to Be

Post  Wyldflower 8/12/2010, 10:10 pm

Wow.... very cool, Ha-v-v... Will you have the new house built before winter? What a marvelous adventure! I'm sure the end result will make the discomfort of being crowded worthwhile!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 8/12/2010, 10:15 pm

Wow.... very cool, Ha-v-v...Will you have the new house built before winter? What a marvelous adventure! I'm sure the end result will make the discomfort of being
crowded worthwhile!

Thank you so much !!! Wellll, we will see. Jeff works contract work and leaves for periods of time. Next job is in Sept. for 3 weeks. Slovenia no less this time. With everyday life that enters in and work done when we have money, its our hope, but I wont be upset if Im not. Just finally seeing progress on it. Has given me great encouragement. We have put other necessary things ahead of building. Kids moving home, in-laws moving onto the property. Things that are normal life happenings. Its worth it living here !! Its home.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 8/12/2010, 10:52 pm

THAT IS AWESOME... is there a guest bedroom Wink

And..haahaa, I have a friend in Slovenia! Most people have never even heard of the country!
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 8/12/2010, 11:06 pm

THAT IS AWESOME... is there a guest bedroom Wink

The house will have two inner walls of log, our bedroom, then the great room (kitchen living room in one) then the other side.. we will put stick walls up to make two rooms on the other end, plus a bathroom and mud room. Once the boys leave, one guest room and one office or one whole office, we havent decided. or office/guest room.
The goal is to have another out building for guests Smile We have 4 sons at home yet, one thats 28 getting his life back and the almost 17 yr old will be building one for themselves on our property. We want them to have the ability to live debt free while they can and hope they continue. As they leave the property, that will open the way for more guest rooms.
So guests will be welcome !
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/13/2010, 12:10 am

That is quite the project you're taking on. Good thing you've been blessed with patience! But won't it be wonderful when it's done weeee
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/13/2010, 1:26 am

What a marvelous adventure for you and your family.
I can appreciate the sardine factor as my husband and I lived in our 33 ft fifth wheel for about 9 months while acting as camp hosts. Having guests was a little challenging, but doable.
Good Luck and Best Wishes on your future home.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/13/2010, 2:50 am

Very ambitious. When do you expect it all to be finished?
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 8/13/2010, 8:59 am

That is quite the project you're taking on. Good thing you've been
blessed with patience! But won't it be wonderful when it's done

Patience !!! what a joke!!! When Jeff showed me the video for the first time I saw the lead in.. Living a stress free life through sweat and hard work.. I said .... are you kidding me Our Home to Be Affraid !!! lolol Its our joke, I get stressed when things are overwhelming !! Ive learned tons of patience from this man. Yes its very encouraging now to see progress now Wink I look forward to the day I move in:)
Ha-v-v
the song is lovely as well Smile

Last edited by Ha-v-v on 8/13/2010, 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 8/13/2010, 9:05 am

Very ambitious. When do you expect it all to be finished?

Out of necessity comes ambition :-D We sat here after Jeff cleared enough trees just for the trailer. Knowing we wont have tons of money to build a stick house, and knowing we dont want debt, I said why dont we use our trees !!! Jeffs eyes got big!!! (if you knew him this is a feat in itself) lololol Here we are today with this project. We hope by winter is over Smile we will have been moved in and starting the inside work.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 8/13/2010, 9:05 pm

How fantastic can you get !! You all will have quite a lot to be proud of when you are finished. Love the video, especially the photo of your chickens, I envy you !!
Do you plan on some kind of preservative for the wood?? Termites are a HUGE problem down south..
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 8/14/2010, 9:21 am

Thank you so much Smile

Do you plan on some kind of preservative for the wood?? Termites are a HUGE problem down south..

We will only spray bleach solution on the logs, we have flashing on the pillars to stop them from crawling up. You are more of a bug problem when the bark is left on, once the bark is off the critters leave. When we first moved here and had a pile of logs sitting we would go outside and hear this noise, hard to describe, like someone biting a balloon, (that sound drives me insane) Then once those logs were debarked we found the grubs that were making that noise ... ekkkkk. Those logs are now in the practice cabin. We will have to inspect Im sure as we go along, Im ok with this.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 8/14/2010, 9:39 am

What a marvelous adventure for you and your family.
I can
appreciate the sardine factor as my husband and I lived in our 33 ft
fifth wheel for about 9 months while acting as camp hosts. Having
guests was a little challenging, but doable. Good Luck and Best Wishes on your future home.

We full time rved for a few years while, we went with Jeff on his contract jobs. It was fun a little while. When we started that too was out of necessity, we enjoyed and met so many kind folks in America that way. When we hit Louisiana for a summer I was so at home and when we left for Tennessee I was heart broken, I wanted to stay there in the deep south. We got to Tennessee after a couple weeks I said to my husband, Im done its time. He got on the internet and found this piece of property for 9200.00 dollars !!! Something we could only do because of his contract job, feast or famine. It was during a feast time we bought the land for those times when it was famine. Its worked out really well, life has struggles as it is this way they seem less for us.
Once the house is done we will do all the over hauling on this trailer so it can be a camper trailer again and have some fun at camps again.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 8/14/2010, 10:46 am

Ooo, a woman after my own heart! I've never built a cabin, but have lived the "simple" (hah!) back to land lifestyle for most of my adult life. Nothing like the pay-as-you-go plan to put all of life into perspective. But am I reading your post right? FOUR of you live in a 30' travel trailer? Our Home to Be Affraid I'd go stark raving mad.

Are you a member of Homesteading Today forum? Lots of great people and ideas over there. It's my second favourite forum and I check it almost every day.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/14/2010, 11:18 am

belfrybat wrote:
Are you a member of Homesteading Today forum? Lots of great people and ideas over there. It's my second favourite forum and I check it almost every day.
Hey thanks for this!!! :!:
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/14/2010, 11:26 am

I'm having trouble imaging trying to cook day in and day out for that many people in a trailer 'kitchen'! At least you won't get snowbound this winter! Wink
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/14/2010, 11:32 am

belfrybat wrote:Are you a member of Homesteading Today forum?
She is now! lololololol Wink
Our Home to Be 31910

They've been around a while: 2.7 million posts!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/14/2010, 11:34 am

boffer wrote:
belfrybat wrote:Are you a member of Homesteading Today forum?
They've been around a while: 2.7 million posts!
Shocked
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 8/14/2010, 11:57 am

I'm having trouble imaging trying to cook day in and day out for that
many people in a trailer 'kitchen'! At least you won't get snowbound
this winter! Wink

Lots and lots of humor !!!!! its the only way. The trailer has an open floor plan. As long as that stays open Im fine.
I long for the day I have a regular size stove and lots of counter top !!!! But for now with this being my last summer in the trailer I will live ( Ive made it so far, and is that a twitch in my eye ? lolololol ) I dont cook in the trailer in summer, there is no way I could keep it cool in this weather. I cook on a three burner camp stove on the deck. I use the crock pot a lot. Now for winters, I like to cook because it helps with heating. And because we are stationary now I have a full size frig and decent size chest freezer. I have 4 sons and when I found one pot meals werent lasting for two meals anymore I knew there was trouble. I have to make two pots if I want to not cook the next day. Yes its redneck lookin.. but neat Smile organized chaos.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/14/2010, 2:58 pm

Ha-v-v wrote:
I'm having trouble imaging trying to cook day in and day out for that
many people in a trailer 'kitchen'! At least you won't get snowbound
this winter! Wink

I cook on a three burner camp stove on the deck. I use the crock pot a lot. Now for winters, I like to cook because it helps with heating. Yes its redneck lookin.. but neat Smile organized chaos.
Ha-v-v
It's a big step above firepit cooking (been there done that) you know the rhythm and it works, that's what's important. The best part, it's only temporary!
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 8/14/2010, 3:45 pm

It's a big step above firepit cooking (been there done that) you know
the rhythm and it works, that's what's important. The best part, it's
only temporary!

Yes!!! fire pit cooking!! Ive done that on purpose though Smile we primitive camped when we were first married.. I love it. But for everyday.. like you said the rhythm works. And it is temporary Smile I actually dont mind cooking outside its fun. We did that for a hurricane, had our family here, and we cooked up a storm !! lololol Humor is the key Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 8/15/2010, 9:20 am

Ha-v-v wrote:
It's a big step above firepit cooking (been there done that) you know
the rhythm and it works, that's what's important. The best part, it's
only temporary!

Yes!!! fire pit cooking!! Ive done that on purpose though Smile we primitive camped when we were first married.. I love it. But for everyday.. like you said the rhythm works. And it is temporary Smile I actually dont mind cooking outside its fun. We did that for a hurricane, had our family here, and we cooked up a storm !! lololol Humor is the key Smile
Ha-v-v

I cook outside on a rocket stove -- best invention ever. http://www.stovetec.net/us/stove-products/wood-charcoal-stove
I can cook a pot of stew using about 5 sticks 12" long and 1/2 diameter. Very fuel efficient. Also have just made a "hay box cooker" using two nested styrofoam containers and "pillows" stuffed with vermiculite. Works just like a crockpot without using electricity. My next "survivalist" purchase will be a smoker/BBQ. Need something to roast all those lovely SFG veggies I'm getting. Our Home to Be Icon_biggrin
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/15/2010, 10:02 am

belfrybat wrote:
I cook outside on a rocket stove -- best invention ever. http://www.stovetec.net/us/stove-products/wood-charcoal-stove
I can cook a pot of stew using about 5 sticks 12" long and 1/2 diameter. Very fuel efficient. Also have just made a "hay box cooker" using two nested styrofoam containers and "pillows" stuffed with vermiculite. Works just like a crockpot without using electricity. My next "survivalist" purchase will be a smoker/BBQ. Need something to roast all those lovely SFG veggies I'm getting. Our Home to Be Icon_biggrin
WOW! Thanks for the link. Bookmarked! I am going to post the 'Buy a Stove for a Cook in Need' to my facebook page.
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Our Home to Be Empty Progress is happening !!

Post  Ha-v-v 1/28/2011, 7:46 pm

Progress Pics ...
These are the floor joists
Our Home to Be 100_1710

Second course of logs
Our Home to Be 100_0310

Third course of logs
Our Home to Be 100_0312

Fourth course and that is of today

Our Home to Be 100_0314

Our Home to Be 100_0315

Our Home to Be 100_0316

Our Home to Be 100_0317

Our Home to Be 100_0318

Our Home to Be 100_0319

Life is exciting watching it go up. Jeff leaves for a job next week so it will sit for about 6 or 7 weeks.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/28/2011, 8:01 pm

It's lookin' great, H. It must really be exciting. Are you ever in any danger of hurricanes or flooding?
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next