Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing Heirloom Tomatoes Toplef10Growing Heirloom Tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing Heirloom Tomatoes I22gcj10Growing Heirloom Tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing Heirloom Tomatoes Toplef10Growing Heirloom Tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing Heirloom Tomatoes I22gcj10Growing Heirloom Tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Growing Heirloom Tomatoes

+3
Megan
glasgrl
newgloves
7 posters

Go down

Growing Heirloom Tomatoes Empty Growing Heirloom Tomatoes

Post  newgloves 8/11/2010, 8:00 pm

Who has grown heirloom tomatoes and what varieties? I'd love to grow heirloom (green, yellow, multi-colored & plum) as well as my regular varieties but have never attempted growing heirlooms before. I'm a little worried that it seems as though they're more tempermental & prone to disease. Anyone have great success w/ heirloom & what varieties?

I plan on using a small greenhouse to start them in since our climate is pretty temperate and then transplanting them into the garden when it's time. I'm rather excited at the prospect since heirloom tomatoes are just beautiful, make great tomato salads and are so costly at the store. Any suggestions on choosing varieties, starting, growing and transplanting?

Thanks!
newgloves

Back to top Go down

Growing Heirloom Tomatoes Empty Re: Growing Heirloom Tomatoes

Post  glasgrl 8/11/2010, 9:28 pm

I'm growing a few heirlooms this year: Black Prince, Sausage, Striped German, Mortgage Lifter, Brandywine, and Amish Paste. Mortgage Lifter, Striped German and Amish Paste aren't ripe, yet (I planted late). Brandywine is quite sweet and flavorful (to me, it tastes a lot like Jetsetter but a little less sweet). I like the taste of Sausage and Black Prince, too, but unfortunately, Black Prince proved very prone to cracking and developing strange holes (not seen on any other tomatoes, and I don't think it was insect damage), so I probably won't grow it next year. However, we did have very unusual weather this year.

Sorry, not too much help! I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback on this subject, though. Smile

-Michelle
glasgrl
glasgrl

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 8/12/2010, 8:14 pm

I am growing heirlooms for the first time this year, Cherokee Purple, Gold Medal, and Black Cherry. The first two from direct-planted seed, the last was a gift start.

Honestly, I have very little idea what I am doing except I've pruned the lowest branches and have been trying to pinch off suckers, as all three plants are indeterminate. I have only grown grape or pear tomatoes before. If you want to try heirlooms, I'd say just go for it! Smile

I did try to start some of the Cherokee and Gold Medals indoors also, and while I got some sprouts, I eventually sacrificed them in favor of the in-ground ones, which were muuuuuch slower to start but a lot sturdier once they got going. I have seen a leaf or two die but overall they seem great so far, just slow. The first few are starting to ripen now and I can't wait!

I am seeing cracking too but with all the crazy rain and intense heat, I'm just glad to have tomatoes.

Glasgrl, sounds like a great assortment. I have read a little about some of those. I'm curious to hear how your Amish Paste and the Mortgage Lifter go.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Growing Heirloom Tomatoes Empty heirloom tomatoes

Post  ander217 8/13/2010, 7:10 am

I've grown Brandywine with great success in some years, not so great in others.

My favorite tomato this year for taste was Aunt Ruby's German Giant. However, although my plant produced many huge blossoms, only one set fruit. Different varieties next to it set many fruits. We've had an unusually harsh summer with months of drought followed by extremely high temps and humidity, so I'm not ready to completely write off Aunt Ruby. Our neighbor grew it last year when we had a much milder summer and he said it produced fine. I suspect it is one variety not meant for extremely hot weather, so I'll try it again next year and hope for better results.

I had the same problem in the past when I grew Mr. Stripey.

My Green Grape tomato did very poorly during the early part of the season and I considered ripping it out and replanting with something else, but I just never got around to it. Someone posted on another forum that Green Grape tomatoes shouldn't be pruned. I stopped pruning mine and it seemed to revitalize and it is now loaded with fruit.

I think many of the heirlooms are geared more to specific climates and growing conditions, and the results are not always consistent. But the wonderful taste makes it worth growing them.

You said one of your tomato varieties had strange holes in it - is it possible you might have had a tomato fruitworm at work on that plant? They bore into the tomatoes and leave holes. You can google for photos of the damage they do.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  glasgrl 8/13/2010, 12:51 pm

The holes were less round/specifically shaped than those made by a tomato fruitworm (based on Google's pics). I wonder if they were rubbing against something (the plant is VERY dense, and it's hard to see inside it).

Thanks for the info, though! That's good to know.

-Michelle
glasgrl
glasgrl

Back to top Go down

Post  newgloves 8/13/2010, 1:13 pm

How did you all start your tomato plants? I'm planning on getting a small greenhouse to start a number of my spring plants - including the tomato plants. My last frost date is mid March so I think it's sometime in February that I should start tomato plants. Did you start them from seed indoors, direct seed them or buy them from a nursery? I'm planning on doing a total of 12-14 tomato plants (we have extended family that expect garden treats) - some hybrid and others heirloom. The varieties I've been considering are Aunt Ruby's Green German, Green Zebra, Kellogg's Sunset, Black Pineapple, Copia, Gold Medal, Hillbilly, Brandywine & Carbon Tomato as well as a green pear tomato, Celebrity, Champion and some cherry tomatoes. So, I've got to pare it down to 1 green, 1 orange, 2 multi-colored, 1 plum, & 1 green pear variety. Then the 2 cherry, 2 champion and 2 celebrity (and maybe 2 others in my large pots). What am I getting myself into - between us, the parents, grandparents, uncle/aunt and immediate neighbors that should be a good enough variety & enough tomatoes.
newgloves

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 8/13/2010, 1:40 pm

I've got Matt's Wild Cherry and Delicious for heirlooms along with Brandwine. The Matt's is terrific. Tasty little tomatoes the size of small grapes. Early fruiting. I'm saving some seeds right now.
The Brandywine are not ripe yet and there aren't a lot on the 2 plants, but one plant was entirely destroyed by hornworm. The Delicious is a late variety and I haven't tried any yet. They are still green.

As for starting seeds, mine are kept on banquet tables in the basement furnace room. I use shop lights propped up on old VHS tapes to keep them higher than the tops of the seedlings. First I started the seeds on a heat mat in very small 3/4" soil blocks. Then transplanted into 2" soil blocks after the 1st true leaves germinated, then into 4" air-pruning pots made from 2-litre soda bottles for the last 5 weeks under lights. They did great. The lightbulbs are sunlight bulbs. A 4-ft double light and bulb set cost me $26.21 including tax at Lowe's here in Maine. I have 3 sets now.
Growing Heirloom Tomatoes 04-27-11
Here's one of my shop lights over peppers and other seedlings.
Growing Heirloom Tomatoes 07-28-11
Here's some of the early Matt's Wild Cherry toms. I plan to save seeds and try them again next year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  glasgrl 8/13/2010, 3:11 pm

I purchased mine from someone else who raised them from seed. Wink I just started SGF this year, so the early spring was taken up with building the garden. All my plants got a very late start. Rolling Eyes

-Michelle
glasgrl
glasgrl

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 8/14/2010, 1:37 pm

Yup, heirloomer here. This is what I have (some here arent, most are):
black cherry
black plum paste
carbon
cherokee chocolate
kelloggs
orange banana
paul robeson
sungold cherry
currant
pineapple
green zebra
white cherry
japanese trifle
Black Elephant

I started mine in those cardboard like squares you get from home depot (they decompost) and then just kept potting up from there. I then used a grow light and shop light.
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/14/2010, 2:22 pm

I have been very happy with my heirloom tomatoes this year. Gilbertie & Striped Roman are paste type, Purple Gypsy more of a beefsteak type.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down