Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis  Toplef10Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis  I22gcj10Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis  Toplef10Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis  I22gcj10Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis

+4
Wyldflower
camprn
jenjehle
Shoda
8 posters

Go down

Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis  Empty Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis

Post  Shoda 8/11/2010, 3:49 pm

I started several squares of Edamame in mid June. They have had more trouble growing then other plants in the same box. They have been yellow and sort of sad looking (technical term!)

I fertilized them but they only looked worse. I just found on the web that Edamame are susceptible to Iron deficiency chlorosis (IDC). This website shows a picture of what my plants looked like (only mine were a lot worse).

http://www.planthealth.info/idc_basics.htm

I am now treating them with chelated iron and am hopeful that they will turn around. In spite of their sickly look, I did notice the first blooms this morning.

I think after looking at the IDC picture, that this is what is deficient in a several of my boxes. Some plants seem to suffer more but I am getting a very similar yellow veining on a summer squash and two of my cucumbers. Something to keep in mind when you try to figure out why your plants are yellow.
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis  Empty Re: Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis

Post  jenjehle 8/12/2010, 10:42 am

Hi Smile

I'm not growing Edamame (I do love it!) but I've noticed LOTS of my plants doing the same exact thing. More of my plant leaves are yellow right now that they are green! Ugh.

I fertilized and they also seemed to get worse. Don't have a lot of time to "work" in the garden right now with 5 kids; 4 of whom are starting school next week and have a list of needed school supplies a mile long. Not to mention it's a million degrees right now with 200% humidity Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis  Icon_eek

Ok, random question, my kids and I are always joking about what the "correct" pronunciation is of Edamame... can you help us?

Thank you and good luck!!
Jenny
jenjehle
jenjehle

Female Posts : 248

http://picasaweb.google.com/107169543203897472824?feat=email

Back to top Go down

Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis  Empty Re: Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis

Post  camprn 8/12/2010, 11:51 am

Ed-ahh-mahh-may Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 8/12/2010, 11:52 am

Here's a random answer to your question....

It's pronounced "ed-uh-mommy"
http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=edamame

I'm having yellow-leaf trouble too... just fed my tomatoes, peppers and eggplant this morning, and hope it helps.

Getting four of five kids back to school? I do NOT envy you!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 8/12/2010, 12:21 pm

Once I knew what I was looking for, the iron deficiency is easy to spot. If you look at the leaves closely, the veins remain greener then the rest of the leaf. Here are a few great pictures of it.

Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis  Leaf-chlorosis
Yellowing Edamame & Iron Defeciency Chlorosis  Iron

I think this makes a lot of sense since most of us should have enough nutrients in our soil. Several things can contribute to IDC, including too high PH, over watering, too much phosphorus. I am trying to resolve it with added iron but I may need to check the soil PH. I understand that Peat Moss can be very acidic.

Here is another resource I found that might be helpful.

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/problems/leaf-chlorosis-and-iron.htm

Has anyone tried the soil PH kits available at the nursery? Are they reliable?

As for kids going back to school --- I hear you! I have three going back and I am trying work on my job at least 6 hours a day. I told my kids that we were going to have to stagger the back to school shopping. Fortunately for us, our school district does most of the supply shopping and just asks for contributions to cover the cost. Takes care of the basics anyway and even kids that are short of cash get supplies. Good luck!

Wyldflower -- Love the pronunciation website. Believe it or not, that will solve a lot of fights my kids get into!
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jenjehle 8/12/2010, 10:52 pm

Thanks for the pronunciation! We had it right, actually Smile It's not an easy thing for young kids to say. Love the website to help us in the future!

My poor garden may be too far gone... not sure. I'll have to see what kind of 911 care I can give it. I have way too much powdery mildew and yellowing than I'd like to have to deal with.

Is there a product that comes to mind that I can give my veggies for a quick boost to help with the iron def? I was thinking of feeding w/Miracle Grow Organic Fertilizer. Any thoughts?

Lucky for me, my kids have to wear uniforms so not "CLOTHES" shopping just tons and tons of supplies!

Take care,
Jenny
jenjehle
jenjehle

Female Posts : 248

http://picasaweb.google.com/107169543203897472824?feat=email

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 8/12/2010, 11:03 pm

Off to scout out more plant diseases tomorrow!

I pronounce it ed-ah-mah-may
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 8/16/2010, 2:43 pm

My green beans just started doing this very thing. No luck finding anything locally so far. What did you use?
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/16/2010, 2:56 pm

There is a product called ironite that give a quick iron fix.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 8/16/2010, 5:37 pm

You all just gave me the answer (I think) to a problem I have been having in my own yard with yellowing of a LOT of plants, including the lawn. I was wondering if it could be that the soil was too acid and perhaps needed lime but your descriptions and photos make me think that it could be an iron deficiency instead or perhaps it is both. Soil here does tend to be acidic and composting can make it more so. I know mine sure could with all the coffee grounds that goes in my compost bin. (No. I don't have a drug problem but could someone please put a fresh pot of espresso in my I.V. bag? I am feeling a bit too shaky from caffeine withdrawal)

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down