Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Chlorosis  Toplef10Chlorosis  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Chlorosis  I22gcj10Chlorosis  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Chlorosis  Toplef10Chlorosis  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Chlorosis  I22gcj10Chlorosis  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Chlorosis

5 posters

Go down

Chlorosis  Empty Chlorosis

Post  tlatham72 6/16/2020, 12:40 am

Hi all.
I planted my first veggie garden ever this season using Mel's sfg book as instructions.

I created 6in deep beds that are raised 2-3 feet off the ground. Beds are 4ft x 3ft. I created Mel's Mix to fill the beds. My only deviation was that I could only find 2 types of compost locally instead of 5. Cow manure and mushroom compost.

Started all plants from seeds. A few inside. Most outside. Everything was growing well initially. I started seeds and transplants outdoors about May 1. It is now mid June.

In the past coupme weeks, tge leaves of ALL plant washed out and lightened to a light lime or yellow. Some leaves almost white. Google search indicates chlorosis. Tonight I added granular iron and an inch of fresh cow manure compost on top. I hope this fixes my issue. Plants seemed a bit stunted in growth but were otherwise healthy.

Why did my olants suffer from chlorosis? My understanding is that Mel's mix is the perfect blend and fertilizers or such ammendments should not be necessary. I want to understand what I did wrong in order to correct my problem in the future.

Thanks!
tlatham72
tlatham72

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Chlorosis  Empty Chlorosis

Post  tlatham72 6/16/2020, 12:40 am

Hi all.
I planted my first veggie garden ever this season using Mel's sfg book as instructions.

I created 6in deep beds that are raised 2-3 feet off the ground. Beds are 4ft x 3ft. I created Mel's Mix to fill the beds. My only deviation was that I could only find 2 types of compost locally instead of 5. Cow manure and mushroom compost.

Started all plants from seeds. A few inside. Most outside. Everything was growing well initially. I started seeds and transplants outdoors about May 1. It is now mid June.

In the past coupme weeks, tge leaves of ALL plant washed out and lightened to a light lime or yellow. Some leaves almost white. Google search indicates chlorosis. Tonight I added granular iron and an inch of fresh cow manure compost on top. I hope this fixes my issue. Plants seemed a bit stunted in growth but were otherwise healthy.

Why did my olants suffer from chlorosis? My understanding is that Mel's mix is the perfect blend and fertilizers or such ammendments should not be necessary. I want to understand what I did wrong in order to correct my problem in the future.

Thanks!
tlatham72
tlatham72

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Chlorosis  Empty Re: Chlorosis

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/16/2020, 7:13 am

Hi TLatham72. Welcome from the Atlanta, GA area. Glad you've found us. I know your area, been through a few times. :-)

Probably the reason is that you only were able to find 2 kinds of compost. The reason Mel suggests 5 is to get a good mix of various nutrients.

Don't feel bad! A lot of us have the same issue with finding good sources of compost. This is why we encourage you to start a compost pile asap. You might also check with your local disposal govt folks. Ours has free compost they give away when it's available. Also folks with livestock might be an option, although it's more long-term as it will probably need to age.

You might also look through the archives/search area to see what others have done.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/16/2020, 8:11 am

Welcome from Ohio, T Latham!  Glad you found the forums! If the leaves on your plants are yellowing, that indicates they need a little nitrogen. It takes time for the initial application of compost to develop active microbial life in order to make the soil nutrients available for the plants.  Apply some blood meal to the soil, and water it in - that will provide slow release nitrogen to the soil. Then, for quick application of nitrogen apply some fish fertilizer for a quick shot of nitrogen.  That should get your plants going.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4524

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/16/2020, 7:15 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Welcome from Ohio, T Latham!  Glad you found the forums! If the leaves on your plants are yellowing, that indicates they need a little nitrogen. It takes time for the initial application of compost to develop active microbial life in order to make the soil nutrients available for the plants.  Apply some blood meal to the soil, and water it in - that will provide slow release nitrogen to the soil. Then, for quick application of nitrogen apply some fish fertilizer for a quick shot of nitrogen.  That should get your plants going.
 Ohio's post highlights a tendency for many people making their own compost to buy in ready made stuff under different names.  Often the bulk of the material is wood fibre based as it is so cheap & easy to obtain .  This often leads to a large amount of ground up wood products which are disguised with many different suggestive names . There is a thread called , " Composting 101 ".   it's worth reading it even if it does take several hours .. 

Laughing I ended up reading it many times as I'm a bit thick in the brains department to get enough information from it in one go  Wink .

Which when wood fibre is decaying over the next six or more years it initially robs a lot of nitrogen from the ground . Dried blood fish & bone meal  is handy to sort it out when it happens .

Whatever you do ...............….read the instructions as it is not good on the bare skin or in your lungs nor if it falls in the crevice's of the plants leaves/stems where it will frequently cause a vicious plant affecting rot once it gets damp
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/17/2020, 7:46 pm

Hi tlatham, welcome to the forum!  

If the leaves truly bleached out to whitish, it just may be shock of sun—much stronger than any grow lights.  I harden my seedlings off over a week or usually 2, for several hours in direct sun, then back it off, extending that time until they are ready for Mr. Sunshine.  

Chlorosis is different.  It’s a yellowing of leaves and general not flourishing.  

Can you post pictures?  They are remarkably helpful!

glad you\'re here
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down