Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area Toplef10August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area I22gcj10August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area Toplef10August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area I22gcj10August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area

+2
happycc
Shoda
6 posters

Go down

August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area Empty August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area

Post  Shoda 8/4/2010, 4:37 pm

Can you believe it is August 4th already? We have had some strange weather in Danville, California and I am sure you have had some too. Please update us with your garden progress. What is growing, what is not.

Also, in our area we can grow crops into the fall. Are you starting to think about your fall crops? Are you starting any seeds inside for later planting?

Thanks for sharing!
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area Empty well updates on my garden

Post  happycc 8/6/2010, 1:53 pm

hmmm....
well I have 2 people in the family with pneumonia and 5 people coughing.
But despite my husband having pneumonia I saw that he has started collecting lumber for our garden on the side of the house. What a great man.

I called up THermo Rock in Arizona and she told me of a wholesale supplier up in Sacramento called Ready Grow or Ready Gro and they sell Vermiculite 3.8 cu feet bags for 20 bucks and peat moss!
They are opened Mon-Fri. I was going to go up today to pick them up but a daughter and son are sick too. Their phone number is 916-381-6063. She says that she doesn't supply any stores in the Bay Area yet. Perhaps I should buy a bunch and supply it down here for SFGers. Anyone interested?
happycc

Back to top Go down

August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area Empty Re: August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area

Post  Shoda 8/7/2010, 1:17 am

Sorry to hear your family is sick. Please tell your husband not to work too hard... pneumonia is nothing to mess with. Hope your family is better soon.

Wow that is a great price on the vermiculite. You will have to let me know how it goes. I will need some more vermiculite when I finish the last two garden beds but since I am not going to build them for another month or so, it is a bit early for me to want to part with my money.

Great research on the supplies! Thanks for letting us know.
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area Empty Update on PNG Grandma and outsideasy

Post  outsideasy 8/8/2010, 3:39 pm

Our group garden boxes have new sprouts from seed comming up and the rest of the garden group is working on planting various things in their box's so we are on the way to having a real garden here in Modesto.
outsideasy

Male Posts : 103

Back to top Go down

August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area Empty August Update

Post  casey 8/10/2010, 5:13 pm

I posted a picture of my inclined driveway on the "Driveway..." topic. The big new is, I finally got my first box (2'x4') put together and filled. (My 8-year-old did most of the work, and loved mixing the Mel's Mix with her feet!) The box looks beautiful on the driveway, in contrast to all those weeds nearby.

Question -- I plan to get some 4'x4' boxes and place them half on the soil and half on the driveway (since I only own a 3.5' strip along the driveway). Since the boxes will be over both soil and concrete, should I get patio boxes with wood bottoms, or boxes with porous weed barriers?
casey

Back to top Go down

August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area Empty Re: August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area

Post  Shoda 8/11/2010, 3:31 pm

Gosh Casey, I really don't know. You might try asking the SFG folks if you are ordering the boxes from them. I guess I would use the weed barrier but that is just because I don't think the wood bottom is necessary.

Let us know what you decide!
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

Post  newgloves 8/12/2010, 8:12 pm

Well, our boxes have been in for about a month now and I alternate between being happy and unhappy with the progress - or lack thereof. My reject nursery tomato plants seem to be doing well except for the green zebra (maybe) and the watermelon beefsteak. But, we'll see - it's only been a month & they've been through 2 transplants. The spinach and beets are doing well. The carrots are iffy - some sections have only 3-4 carrots that come up and others do great. My swiss chard is popping up but slow to grow. The loose leaf (tolerant of heat variety) is doing well but the romaine that claims to be all season - only 1 plant came up in 4 squares. So, I'm replanting carrots where I see fit & trying to have more success with them. My bush beans are doing well - most came up and are now growing. Only one cucumber plant came up - I think the location was just too hot. My pepper plants are iffy - I think they're too hot too. Overall, I think things are going well - only time will tell. I'm sure it'd be more impressive if I'd started on time. But, already planning my fall garden!
newgloves

Back to top Go down

August Updates for the Nor Cal Regional Area Empty Did you get any extra? Do you need more?

Post  Boxbuilder 10/8/2010, 6:55 pm

You posted in Aug. about [Ready Grow or Ready Gro and they sell Vermiculite 3.8 cu feet bags for 20 bucks and peat moss! They are opened Mon-Fri. Their phone number is 916-381-6063.]

I'm going to save some money on shipping by driving up. You live down the street from me. Do you have extra? Need more? Know anybody who needs any locally? I'm willing to make the trip.

Boxbuilder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down