Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: August Updates Toplef10PNW: August Updates 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: August Updates I22gcj10PNW: August Updates 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: August Updates Toplef10PNW: August Updates 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: August Updates I22gcj10PNW: August Updates 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: August Updates

+6
happycamper
southern gardener
Lavender Debs
FamilyGardening
donnainzone5
gwennifer
10 posters

Go down

PNW: August Updates Empty PNW: August Updates

Post  gwennifer 8/3/2012, 11:59 am

August is upon us! The days have been lovely, but noticeably shorter and they cool off quickly. Many fall crops were best started last month, but plenty more can be started this month too. Here is a planting chart from Mother Earth News for vegetables:
PNW: August Updates August10

And herbs:
PNW: August Updates August11

We do still have eighty and ninety degree temps in the forecast. If anybody is wondering how these fall crops keep from bolting, I've read that soil temperature affects the plants life cycle - not the air temperature. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited by gwennifer on 8/3/2012, 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

PNW: August Updates Empty Re: PNW: August Updates

Post  donnainzone5 8/3/2012, 2:20 pm

Thanks for the fall planting chart!

Here in Bend, the climate differs from the rest of the PNW, being colder in winter and much drier. However, I'm experimenting with planting cool season vegetables. In just one week, spinach and beet seeds planted in my homemade MM are sprouting! Now, for the carrots, chard, brocolli, dill, and so on.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/3/2012, 6:56 pm

GWEN thanks for the fall chart Very Happy

we have broc, cauli, bok choi, brossel sprouts, cabbage and collard greens seedlings going..... Very Happy

PNW: August Updates Dscf0023

we just planted some more peas in hopes to get a fall harvest....heres
the last of our spring sugar snap peas, blanched and ready to freeze

PNW: August Updates Dscf0011

we have spinach going in pots under our plum tree and they are doing really well.....already have had a harvest from them.....so glad....the ones we planted for spring bolted and we never even had any to eat What a Face

first ever harvest of kale....

PNW: August Updates Dscf0024

my son planted some carrots in his selfwater container with MM and they are already up.....he planted some more peas yesterday and his tomato and onions are doing great!

Beans are already producing and we have had our first harvest of horto beans....to eat as a snap bean .....we were able to freeze some too.....going to leave the rest to have as a dry bean.......

this is what the horto beans look like picked for snap type bean

PNW: August Updates Dscf0010

our scarlet runner beans are so pretty in our SFG

PNW: August Updates Dscf0018

a few last strawberries....they are not producing a lot of runners

PNW: August Updates Dscf0012

just pulled up our spring planting of garlic

PNW: August Updates Dscf0013

our first artichokes has a second baby on it

PNW: August Updates Dscf0014

we have lots of baby cucumbers cyclops

PNW: August Updates Dscf0015

we have a couple baby acorn squash coming tongue

PNW: August Updates Dscf0016

we are going to have a taste test of celery today Very Happy

PNW: August Updates Dscf0017

the corn is HUGE and we see tassles trying to come up Shocked
this is the veiw from my back door Very Happy

PNW: August Updates Dscf0019

SFG is growing great....we do have some empty squares and havent decided what to plant there just yet....some of our fall crops seedling we go in ....need to decide if we are going to try and over winter some under plastic hoops

PNW: August Updates Dscf0020

the childrens three sisters wine barrels is doing great! Very Happy

PNW: August Updates Dscf0021

sunflowers, lilly and other summer flowers are all in bloom ....these are some of my 12 year old daughters flowers....she loves lilly...

PNW: August Updates Dscf0022

hope you all are outside enjoying this wonderful warm spell we are having....... PNW: August Updates 3170584802

hugs
rose..... who is off to help water the family gardens Shocked

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 8/4/2012, 9:59 am

Rose your garden is an inspiration!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 8/4/2012, 12:13 pm

Fantastic Rose! Really. Your family has worked so hard - it's nice to see the fruits of your labor. Thanks for sharing the pics.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/7/2012, 12:34 am

with our aug warm spell our family gardens are doing well Very Happy

celery taste test was yummy....better than any celery at the store tongue

PNW: August Updates Dscf0025

2nd harvest of purple beans and first harvest of provider beans

PNW: August Updates Dscf0026

we pulled up our volunteer garlic when the seed flower opened and we could see the tiny black seeds.....now we have to figure out what to do with those tiny black seeds......

PNW: August Updates Dscf0027

lemon cucumbers are going crazy!...had our first taste tonight cheers

PNW: August Updates Dscf0028

pickle cucumbers are starting to produce cheers

PNW: August Updates Dscf0029

our son's pumpkin Very Happy

PNW: August Updates Dscf0036

our daughters pumpkins ( do you think her pumpkins and our son's look differnt??....we planted the same seeds Shocked )

PNW: August Updates Dscf0037

scarlet runner beans are all over the vines :drunken: and we have a humming bird that visits after it cools down and she LOVES the red flowers....so cool to watch her.... Very Happy

PNW: August Updates Dscf0039

our plum tree that was hit hard this winter is FULL of fruit cyclops

PNW: August Updates Dscf0040

one of the best parts of living in the PNW Laughing wild black berries that dont need a thing...they produce on their own and is a very sweet treat in our summer.....

PNW: August Updates Dscf0041

hugs
rose....who is sweaty and tired....but loving every min of it jocolor
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 8/8/2012, 10:27 pm

Amazing as usual Rose. Wow!

Well, I finally had to admit that I had a nitrogen deficiency in my bed. Pretty much too late to do much for the few summer veggies I have planted, but adding blood meal a week ago seems to have made a difference already. Not much to see much in my pics, since I'm only just now re-seeding for fall. But I'll post a bunch anyway! What a Face (Just click on any to see full size.)

PNW: August Updates Peas10 PNW: August Updates Cucumb10 PNW: August Updates Pepper10
Pea Sprouts
Cucumbers
Bell Peppers
PNW: August Updates Garden10 PNW: August Updates Cerami10 PNW: August Updates Frogs110
Whole SFG
Herb Garden
Froggy Helpers

Story on my cucumbers: Some of you may remember me planting and re-planting and re-planting as my seedlings were continuously destroyed by slugs, then hail, then cutworms, etc. I gave up for a bit, but out of stubborness one day I re-planted, thinking maybe there was still time to harvest one or two. Well because of my nitrogen deficiency they never grew. A couple of weeks ago I gave them a shot of liquid fertilizer and here they are, twice the size and flowering. Imagine if I'd figured that out in June.

Right now I have newly sown radishes, broccoli, green onions and peas. Been keeping the front row watered well to try again with lettuces. Lovely evening out there - maybe I should be doing that now!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/9/2012, 12:24 am

gwennifer wrote:... because of my nitrogen deficiency they never grew. A couple of weeks ago I gave them a shot of liquid fertilizer and here they are, twice the size and flowering.
Nice! What liquid fertilizer did you use? My cucumbers, melons, squash pretty much everything is lagging so bad. Want to figure out something to give the a shot in the arm to finish up the season and get it over with!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 8/9/2012, 1:10 pm

southern gardener wrote:...what liquid fertilizer did you use?
I had a box of Vigoro All Purpose Plant Food under the sink that I bought years ago for my houseplants - it's this water soluble stuff. I just used that.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 8/11/2012, 7:22 pm

The garden is doing well so far in this heat. I have had to be diligent on watering since summer has actually arrived in the PNW.
Beans are doing great we are eating them fresh but I am also canning them.
We had beets from the garden yesterday and all I can say is YUM to home grown beets! Tomatoes are sweet and flavorful also.
I have already planted several things for fall, beets, more chard, parsnips are just starting to grow. I need pull the KohlRabi that never bulbed and try again.
I still have blueberries, strawberries have started again. The fall raspberries are setting fruit and it is blackberry season. I am very excited about the fig tree, I have nursed it from a cutting for a few years and it has figs this year. The purple plum tree is loaded and they are turning while the Italian plums are still green but it is loaded with fruit also.
All of your gardens look wonderful. I am glad summer finally arrived!
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

PNW: August Updates Empty my Alaska update

Post  tananarose 8/16/2012, 12:15 am

Well we are getting down in the mid 40's at night, so I am watching the temps to see if I have to cover.

I have lots (about 4-5 dozen) tomatos, which still haven't started to ripen, I am hoping the warm days are enough to get them started. I have harvested most of my cauliflower, I have one head left that is still small. My peas are doing good, I have gotten one batch and have another ready to pick in the next few days. I have lots of lettuce, that seems to multiply daily. Still nothing on the strawberries, did get about 6 of the clones to root in the box, have a few more to try here in the next few days. The onions are doing good, but they are starting to dwindle, as I have been using them in the cooking. Our mini pumpkins finally bloomed but they were all male blossom, so will probably try those again next year. So all in all I am happy with the progress of our first SFG, we are talking about expanding next year, so we have a project to work on during the winter.
tananarose
tananarose

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 8/16/2012, 12:52 pm

Thanks for the update tananarose! Nice to hear from you.

happycamper, you were talking about keeping up with the heat in your last post and now here we are with near 100 degree temps yesterday, today and tomorrow. Ugh! The kids and I are staying inside with the a/c on, but as I've got these newly sown lettuces and spinach and arugula and broccoli - I'm out there watering them every few hours and hoping that's enough. Found a few new sprouts today so

My bell peppers are loving this though! My one that's been hanging on forever has finally started changing color. At least that's what I think it's doing... It's supposed to mature red and it's turning all chocolate-y brown right now. It's pretty ugly! The other plant finally re-bloomed last month and now has six peppers happily growing on it.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/16/2012, 6:31 pm

hoping everyone is doing ok in this heat wave Shocked

im a little worried about our fall seedlings.....we are away from home for a couple of nights......

hubby has been back to the house at night and did give our peas some water but forgot our cool weather crops out in the back garden area What a Face they did get a really good drink tuesday night so im hoping they will be ok in this heat Shocked

looking forward to picking more beans cyclops they have been giving us a meal or two about every other day!......so happy they are doing well.....last year we didnt get very many....i think we have found good ones that like our PNW weather tongue

scarlett runner beans.....the vines are so pretty and they are loaded with beans.....really large beans that we are going to save as a dry bean....

horto beans ....we picked some to eat like a snap bean and the rest we are letting them develope into a dry bean

purple beans were early and is producing well and the second set of sowing is flowering now

provider bean....giving us LOTs of nice green beans.....they seem to produce a bean faster after flowering then any other bean so far Very Happy

we also used up some older seeds of bush beans.....cant remember off hand....they are doing well......we just had our first picking of them this week and got enough to freeze in a QT size bag Very Happy we will see how they do for the next picking.....i think they are blue lake bush beans......?

yellow cucumbers been doing very well.....love the flavor and they seem to be producing more then a reg type of cucumber does here in the PNW

still no sign of our fall planting of spinach and lettuce.....may have to replant because of the heat we are having....our other spinach that we planted in a container bolted after our first harvest.....at least we got some this time albino

corn.....wow...its growing great and is about 9ft tall :drunken: each stalk has between 1-3 ears growing..... cheers

still no brossel sprouts from our spring seedlings.....is that normal?....the plants look great....nice and green and tall....we can see little things in the arm pits of the plant....but they havent developed into anything yet.....they have been stalled for at least a month now.....

oh....our fava beans we cut back to a stump to allow the nitrogen to go into the MM.....and we planted some fall peas....well....the fava's are growing back Shocked

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 8/18/2012, 8:20 pm

Ok I am finally back after a long absence...sorry about that you guys.

Anyway things have been bolting like crazy in the heat and the bugs have multiplied like crazy this year.

I am overrun with Japanese beetles in the garden and fleas and ants in the apartment.

I bought some food grade DE for the ants....but I might have to eventually resort to Amdro if the DE does not work....the little buggers are literally crawling in from the electrical outlets.

Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/18/2012, 8:28 pm

Welcome back Daniel! Sorry about the invasion...
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 8/20/2012, 5:35 pm

We survived the heat but some of the bean leaves burned. I have been canning daily for 8 days now and my kitchen is looking a little crowded between jars, canners and fresh picked produce from the garden. We love raspberry/blackberry jam.
It has been a great year for green beans and I still have 32 squares (from staggered planting) that are blooming that should be ready by late September.
For some reason I have more tomatoes this year at this time than last year but I am not complaining, 5 quarts of cherry tomatoes put up so far.
The beets, chard, daikon and parsnips are up and growing well for fall veggies. I still need to plant more lettuce, radish (china rose) and spinach also. I have learned over the past few years that planting every two weeks in the PNW provides fresh veggies into winter and there is nothing like having home grown food for holiday dinners.
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 8/21/2012, 1:52 pm

Welcome back Daniel! Sorry to hear about your bug problem. I can't help you outdoors, but if you're willing to poison the ones inside I can tell you what works for us. We get the little black ants in our house every year. Someone at hubby's work told us to try the Hot Shot MaxAttrax ant bait. Sure enough, it works every time.

FamilyGardening, I hope your garden has survived while you were away. Couldn't believe having a hundred degree heat wave in the middle of August here. Yuck! I do wish my tomato blossoms wouldn't keep blooming on these few days of over ninety temps. Oh well.

happycamper, I can't even fathom having enough produce to can. I had a very few bean leaves burn in the heat, but my daughter has a miniature japanese maple that really took a hit. Well, the days are very noticeably shorter now so soon they'll be ready to change color and fall off anyhow.

As for me, my radishes are growing this time around, which is a change from the spring when they would sprout and then not grow. However, they reach the age of maturity and pop out of the ground a bit and it's easy to see they are all very small. I've tried waiting to see if they get any bigger but no. Arrggh. Will continue to succession plant and see if I get any better luck as the weather cools. I have lettuce and arugula and spinach sprouting, but have many holes to fill in, thanks to that heat wave I'm sure. Today looks like a nice day for working out there so I better get to it. I need to get a new tomato pic for the Tomato Tuesday thread as well.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 8/27/2012, 10:38 pm

Thanks Gwen and cheyannarach.

Will have to try HotShot...I am desperate at this point.

I visited the Oregon State fair this weekend....unfortunately there was not much in the way of garden stuff...but I did see this...

[img]PNW: August Updates Garde232[/img]

Apparently some engineering students from Oregon State University have invented a nifty little home essential oil extractor that they were selling.

It seemed expensive at $150 when I saw but I have since searched the web for other home kits and found extracting essential oils normal requires a still....and stills are fairly complicated contraptions that can easily cost hundreds of dollars or more...so it was fairly priced for what it does.

It was also much easier and faster to operate than a standard still as you just placed thing with a bit of ice in the microwave and zapped it a couple of minutes.

I got to see it in action and it definitely does work...I grow a lot of mint and other herbs...extracting my own essential oil might be something to try one time.

Anyway I got their website if you guys wanna check it out some more.

http://www.oilextech.com/
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  spinwind 8/28/2012, 2:18 am

My 14 new beds are well on their way to being filled with compost. I have only one that needs real work, as it just has bunny compost in there so far, and a couple others need another bag or 2 of compost, but we're making progress. They're 10 inches deep, but I'm only filling them halfway, so that I can amend and add things as needed in the next few years.

I have lettuce, kale, spinach, peas, and a few other things planted for a fall crop. The lettuce is popping up really happily, and hopefully the rest will be in a couple days. I've now moved onto planting some berries for next year. Popped a couple raspberries in the ground, and I'm going to order a few more along with some Silvan blackberries. I'm not sure how many Silvans I'll need. We do have wild blackberries here, but I LOVE silvans, and they ripen so much earlier. Tonight I ordered 30 everbearing strawberries, and 16 alpine strawberries from a nursery. It will be nice to get those into the garden.

And I have gotten 2 ripe tomatoes off of one of my clearance tomato plants. I have another with a ton of tomatoes on there, I think I might make a hoop house and see if I can continue to get tomatoes into fall. I was happy to get two though I love you

PNW: August Updates DSC_0041

And finally, I have managed to move 6 rhodies, 10 more to go, and then I'll start on the lilacs (sigh).
spinwind
spinwind

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/29/2012, 2:09 pm

Daniel9999....thanks for sharing with us the essential oil extractor from the state fair Very Happy keep us posted if you give this a try!

spinwind ......sounds like you are keeping busy!......keep us posted on how the beds go for the fall and we love pictures!....congrats on your first tom from the sale rack!!

thought i would share the end of aug update on our familygardens Very Happy

SFG box #1 is doing well.....scarlett runner beans, provider beans, sucker off of a volunteer tom from last year, kale, a new cabbage seedling, squash and our brossel sprouts that havent given us anything yet!

PNW: August Updates Dscf0123

box #2....bush beans, cucumbers, carrots, fall sugar snap peas

PNW: August Updates Dscf0062

box #3....fall shelling peas & fava beans that are regrowing

PNW: August Updates Dscf0124

the childrens wine barrels three sisters are doing well....not sure if the corn is going to produce corn or not....they seem a bit short...

PNW: August Updates Dscf0063

our son has one pumpkin...saved seed from last year

PNW: August Updates Dscf0064

our daughter has three of these amish pie pumpkins....cant wait to taste these guys

PNW: August Updates Dscf0125

the back garden is doing good too....corn, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins, bush beans, celery, beets, onions, leeks and the hoops with fall plantings of caulis, brocs, cabbage, bok choi and still waiting for the spring plantings of brossels sprouts to produce..... Shocked

starting to get some squash....

PNW: August Updates Dscf0069

made some pickles

PNW: August Updates Dscf0067

we started to harvest some of our Horto beans also known as Tongues of fire beans......the beans inside are so pretty....they look and feel like a little bird egg.....

PNW: August Updates Dscf0129

we have a few cantalopes.....hoping they will ripen....we have some growing in our small green house and some growing outside...

PNW: August Updates Dscf0130

sunflower with a heart center...wondering if our beas are sending us a message Razz

PNW: August Updates Dscf0131

hugs
rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down