Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Coastal and Tropical August Update Toplef10Coastal and Tropical August Update 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Coastal and Tropical August Update I22gcj10Coastal and Tropical August Update 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Coastal and Tropical August Update Toplef10Coastal and Tropical August Update 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Coastal and Tropical August Update I22gcj10Coastal and Tropical August Update 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Coastal and Tropical August Update

4 posters

Go down

Coastal and Tropical August Update Empty Coastal and Tropical August Update

Post  sceleste54 8/3/2010, 8:44 pm

How does your garden grow?? Here in the Panhandle the endless heat goes on. I've had fresh vineripe tomatoes every day, despite heavy attack from stink bugs and tomato fruitworms. BT made fast work of the caterpillar invasions but these stink bugs are unstoppable!! I've had a bit of trouble with BER as well, mostly on the plum tomatoes. I've only gotten 3 tomatoes so far from the Mortgage Lifter variety, but those were outstanding in flavor and meatiness! My best producing tomato this year has been a tie between 4th of July and a volunteer that came up out of my compost pile. The volunteer plant is scraggly as all get out but it has stayed covered in these long skinny tomatoes about the size of a large man's thumb. The only problem I've had with it is the tomatoes fall off very easily after they start ripening. Taste was excellent. The 4th of July variety has been a steady producer of small tasty salad size tomatos, free for some reason of the stink bug attacks. My green beans were a total bust. The bush beans produced a very skimpy crop of small, curled up lopsided beans. The pole beans have grown beyond the top of their 6 foot trellis, but I have yet to see a blossom! I'm hoping if they last out till it cools off a bit that they will start producing. The eggplant has been covered in flea beatle damage, covered in blooms, but so far no fruit. I think I remember from somewhere that eggplant is sensitive to heat. Hot peppers are just now starting to produce some sizable peppers. Overall I'm really happy because of the tomatoes! Looking forward to some cooler fall gardening !
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Coastal and Tropical August Update Empty Re: Coastal and Tropical August Update

Post  Ha-v-v 8/9/2010, 8:18 am

Overall I'm really happy because of the tomatoes! Looking forward to some cooler fall gardening !

I understand this, after never having green lush tomato plants!! I have bushes, not a lot of tomatoes per plant, (pruning is needed) :-D. Im glad you are having fun with the garden. Im not sure how to treat flea beetles myself I hope someone chimes in or you can type in the search of posts and topics for flea beetles I think there have been some threads on them. I too need to sprinkle some BT dust on the plants for safety until all my butternut is harvested. They are winding down it looks like. Would love to see pictures of your place! To see how the garden grows.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 8/9/2010, 1:22 pm

Still trying to talk myself into pulling my bell pepper plants. I just don't think they are going to do anything but grow leaves and more and more of the leaves are getting a splotchy yellow that I think indicates a virus. Hot pepper plants are doing fine and producing consistantly.

Green beans are the only other thing I've got growing at the moment. Should be ready to produce right after it cools down enough next month. Messed up first attempt at starting seeds indoors for my fall garden. Going to try again.
Will be a bit harder to put in my fall garden as my little boy who was an inmobile infant in the spring is now nearing his first birthday and INTO EVERYTHING.

Keep wanting to build more boxes even though I have so many other responsibilities that go a-beggin' that I really shouldn't. (Y'all are going to talk me out of it, right? lol! )
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/9/2010, 1:55 pm

elliephant wrote:Keep wanting to build more boxes even though I have so many other responsibilities that go a-beggin' that I really shouldn't. (Y'all are going to talk me out of it, right? lol! )
Heck No! Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down