Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting Toplef10HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting I22gcj10HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting Toplef10HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting I22gcj10HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting

4 posters

Go down

HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting Empty HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting

Post  Bec 7/2/2010, 7:54 am

I need some help here. I've looked all over the internet but can't find my answer. My butternut squash plants are doing very well. The leaves are doing well. There are no bugs. The squashes have been growing but now many of the tiny babies have turned yellow and fall off. This morning I noticed that some of the bigger squashes are yellowing. What's happening to my butternut squashes???? I've been VERY successful the last 2 years with the butternuts but this is the first time I've grown them in a SFG. We've been having very hot, dry weather but I've been watering almost every day. Before we had well water and since moving we now have city water. So, I guess the differences this year are the SFG method and city water - but I don't know if either of these would be the cause of the problem or not. I think I also fertilized before too but was thinking that with good Mel's Mix I wouldn't have to. My theory is that they are heavy feeders and are needing more food though. I'm out of compost (have a full bin but it's not composted yet) so will need to use fertilizer but would like to know if that is the cause or not. Like I said - I've always been successful with this vegetable and don't want to fail now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, some of my tomato plants are wilting badly. Actually, the ones in the SFG in 6 inches of MM are doing pretty much fine but the ones in pots with more soil are the ones wilting. Thought it might be the heat but this week has been cooler and they aren't getting better. I fed them with fertilizer a couple of nights ago but am not seeing improvement. No bugs on them either. Any help here would also be greatly appreciated also.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting Empty Re: HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting

Post  Ha-v-v 7/2/2010, 8:34 am

Bec look at the base of your butternut squash, do you see mush coming out of the vines near it anywhere? The vine borer bug or what ever it calls bores into the vines and sucks the life out of the plant. BT will fix that, and could you take a pic of the tomato plants that are struggling ? It might help those that know about maters to tell us. This is the first year of squash harvest for me !! gray zuchinni and a yellow squash, welll they got the vine borer bug I got him. BT aka dipel dust helped. I prefer liquid myself with anything, this powder stuff drives in insane.
Let us know whats going on
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting Empty HELP - butternut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting

Post  Bec 7/2/2010, 9:39 am

Well, I tried to post pictures but I couldn't figure it out - even using the instructions from the forum page. I'll try again when I have more time.

Oh - I looked and didn't see anything unusual at the base of the squash plants - and the leaves still look great. So I'm going to assume they are just heavy feeders and buy some fertilizer for them. Hope that works.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting Empty Re: HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting

Post  Wyldflower 7/2/2010, 11:46 am

What kind of pots are the tomatoes in? If they are in clay pots, they may be drying out a lot faster than they would if in plastic pots.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting Empty HELP - butternut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting

Post  Bec 7/2/2010, 3:48 pm

They're in the big black plastic pots like nurseries use. I've used them before with good success so that's not it. Good thought though. Thanks.

It could even be that they got too dried out during our very hot spell just once and once they get so wilted there's no coming back. I'll try again to post picture shortly. Will have to figure it out.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/2/2010, 8:24 pm

I don't think side-dressing with fish emulsion would hurt since you don't have any compost ready. All plants need a little help besides the Mel's Mix.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

HELP - butterrnut squash dying & tomato plant leaves wilting Empty Butternut squash dying

Post  Bec 7/16/2010, 4:24 pm

Well, after a LOT of my butternut squash babies died and several even that were a few inches long, and I've even been fertilizing, today after discovering a baby pumpkin had died I did more research. I found the answer!!! (Boy I wish I'd found this site a lot sooner - but I found it under a pumpkin site and I was looking for butternut before.) That happens when they don't get pollinated or not properly pollinated! I'm going to have to start hand pollinating now. At least I found the answer.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down