Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? Toplef10Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? I22gcj10Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? Toplef10Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? I22gcj10Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ?

5 posters

Go down

Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? Empty Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ?

Post  Tbites 5/26/2011, 12:32 pm

Bought this Roma from HD 5 days ago, I left it in it's coco/coir pot and transplanted in a container lined with weed barrier so I wouldn't lose my precious Mel's mix. Watered thoroughly. Turns out this plastic weed "cloth" doesn't drain very well. Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? Garde102

Leaves were yellowing so I poked holes through the weed cloth hoping to help drainage.
Yesterday, my plant looked like this Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? Garde100 And the Mel's mix absolutely reeked.

Today, I took it out repotted (removing the coco pot)in another container filled 3/4 with bark chips, netting and then MM hoping to help it along but noticed the stem
was a little slimy and very limpy beneath the soil, and some leaves have black specks now. Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? Garde106

Questions: 1) Could all this be due only to bad water drainage ? (My beds are lined with the same stuff and quite damp at the bottom but no smell) affraid

2) I put the stenchy MM in an open container to dry... I hate to waste this stuff but if it's caused by a disease could it contaminate future plantings ?

I have more pics if it helps but figured this was quite a long post already.
Tbites
Tbites

Back to top Go down

Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? Empty tomatoes

Post  SQFTBIX 5/26/2011, 12:59 pm

Looks like a combination of things although its hard to tell from a picture. I would say drainage is the first issue but a lack of proper nutrients may be the bigger issue. You need to use a nutrient based water fertilizer for tomatoes. I had luck with using a half potency Miracle grow tomato fertilizer once a week. Tomatoes in containers are hard to grow. They just demand more. Good luck.
SQFTBIX

Back to top Go down

Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? Empty Tomato

Post  SQFTBIX 5/26/2011, 1:00 pm

Oh, if you have any, put some kind of mulch over the soil as that will deter fungal diseases.
SQFTBIX

Back to top Go down

Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? Empty Re: Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ?

Post  Tbites 5/26/2011, 1:08 pm

Thanks Bix, hmm... I thought using Mel's Mix meant I didn't need to add fertilizer ?

I have fish emulsion I could use in the future if needed. But I gave a slight watering when repotting today and figure I'll let the plant dry out as much as possible first.
Tbites
Tbites

Back to top Go down

Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? Empty Re: Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ?

Post  pattipan 5/26/2011, 1:58 pm

Tbites,
The top growth of your tomato looks very healthy, so my guess would be those lower leaves are yellowing because they are in contact with the soil. Tomatoes will do that! I would mulch with straw and clip off the yellowed leaves. When you water the tomato, try to avoid getting water on the leaves by watering at the base of the plant only.

If Mel's Mix is made with a good 5-source compost blend, then the first time you plant in it, you should not need to fertilize. But truly, there are so many variables, so something like fish emulsion would be a plus. It's a mild fertilizer and it promotes good roots which equals good tomato plant...which leads to good tomatoes! In the end only your plant and you know which it likes best.

I use fish emulsion once per week on my tomatoes until I see bloom, then after that once a month until about mid-September. It works for me. Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? 421549

Let us know how they progress!
pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/26/2011, 2:37 pm

Agreed. Properly made MM doesn't require any fertilizer at all. However, heavy feeding plants may benefit from a shot in the arm once in awhile. It's kind of your choice. But, the concept of SFG is designed to avoid fertilizers altogether; hence, saving both money and time.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Tbites 5/26/2011, 2:48 pm

Thanks to both for confirming on the fertilizer. Back to my tomato though... I cut off the very bottom yellow leaves, the new center leaves look healthy but the older ones are still flopping dead, should I cut those off too ?

And could bad drainage have caused this plant's demise ? And the stench on the MM ?
Tbites
Tbites

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 5/26/2011, 3:20 pm

Tbites wrote:Thanks to both for confirming on the fertilizer. Back to my tomato though... I cut off the very bottom yellow leaves, the new center leaves look healthy but the older ones are still flopping dead, should I cut those off too ?

And could bad drainage have caused this plant's demise ? And the stench on the MM ?

I think both of those things "could" cause the dying leaves. Rule of thumb: Good compost does should NOT stink. It should have a nice earthy smell.

As for trimming off the drooping curled leaves, I probably would, but wait a few days and see. Give the plants time to recover from the stress of transplanting. If those leaves turn yellow too, clip the affected parts off -- it won't hurt the plant. As long as the top remains healthy, I think your plants will survive. I am not an expert, mind you, but I have a lot of tomato growing history under my belt. YMMV. Also, keep in mind we are only looking at a picture, so you will have to decide in the end. None of us wants to steer you wrong!

I am still wondering about the stenchy compost though...

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Tbites 5/26/2011, 3:35 pm

Pattipan,

Thanks for going into greater detail. I'll wait a few days before cutting off more leaves.

Have to clarify....
It's the Mel's Mix (5 composts + vermiculite + peat) that has been soaked that has a really bad stench. Same batch as watch I have in my beds. The MM in my beds is fine... which makes me think the stench has something to do with the soaking
Tbites
Tbites

Back to top Go down

Post  Tbites 6/3/2011, 8:02 pm

Thought I'd post an update for future reference.

Plant was a goner, couldn't recover so I cut off the part of the stem that was still green and have it in water... never know, it just might take root.

THE SMELL / stench on the Mel's Mix... started smelling more like ammonia after emptying everything out. A post I had read here on smelly compost mentioned lack of oxygen... lightbulb ! some Googling helped dissolve that mystery denitrifying bacteria : http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/mauisoil/c_nutrients01.aspx

Well that's my understanding, guess Bones doesn't SFG ?
Tbites
Tbites

Back to top Go down

Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? Empty Update

Post  Tbites 6/12/2011, 2:04 pm

She's rooting and greening up, don't know if it'll be too late for my growing season but.. who knows

Live and Learn [img]Dying tomato plant... bad weed cloth ? Garde119[/img]
Tbites
Tbites

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/12/2011, 4:27 pm

Tbites, she looks gorgeous, pot her up. What is her days to maturity, is it long enough from transplant date (now) to before your first frost to get tomatoes? I would try either way,
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down