Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Toplef10Worried about birds getting tangled in netting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Worried about birds getting tangled in netting I22gcj10Worried about birds getting tangled in netting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Toplef10Worried about birds getting tangled in netting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Worried about birds getting tangled in netting I22gcj10Worried about birds getting tangled in netting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Worried about birds getting tangled in netting

+3
dmpower
mckr3441
Paintedlady
7 posters

Go down

Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Empty Worried about birds getting tangled in netting

Post  Paintedlady 6/1/2010, 11:02 am

We just got our trellises built yesterday and hung the netting on 2 of them so far. Because the plants aren't yet big enough to grow up the trellis, I'm concerned that birds might fly into the netting. My neighbor has a mama bird on the nest with several baby birds and I'm worried she may fly into it. I've hung towels over the top bar to hopefully keep them from flying into it but I'm not crazy about how it looks. Any other ideas besides the towels? Anyone ever have a problem with birds flying into the netting? Here's some pics.

Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Sfg5410

Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Sfg5610
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Empty Re: Worried about birds getting tangled in netting

Post  mckr3441 6/1/2010, 11:39 am

Carrie, we worried about the same thing! But so far no problem. Our "netting" looks white against the bushes and fence behind it. Your's is right out in the open -- by the way, I love your painted boxes!

Could you hang some streamers on the netting that would wave in the breeze? Could get silver ones from Michaels Craft Store if you have a Michaels near you. Check out gift wrapping decorations at any store.

You might even want to leave them on when the veggies come up since you have such a fun garden.

Claire Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Icon_flower
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Empty Re: Worried about birds getting tangled in netting

Post  Paintedlady 6/1/2010, 1:05 pm

mckr3441 wrote:Carrie, we worried about the same thing! But so far no problem. Our "netting" looks white against the bushes and fence behind it. Your's is right out in the open -- by the way, I love your painted boxes!

Could you hang some streamers on the netting that would wave in the breeze? Could get silver ones from Michaels Craft Store if you have a Michaels near you. Check out gift wrapping decorations at any store.

You might even want to leave them on when the veggies come up since you have such a fun garden.

Claire Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Icon_flower

Well I'm glad to hear you haven't had any problems. My netting is green and it's very hard to see, even when you know it's there. I LOVE the idea of the streamers! Silver ones would reflect the light too. I'll look into that for sure. Thank you!

And thanks for the compliment on the boxes. Our whole family has really gotten into the who SFG, which is nice b/c it started out as my baby, but now it "belongs" to all of us. The kids & I even go out slug/caterpillar hunting every night with flashlights. They love it! Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Icon_twisted
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Post  dmpower 6/1/2010, 4:33 pm

After placing my trellises, I thought they looked like a bird / bat trap waiting to happen. I put some pieces of straw, string, whatever was close by through some of the squares, just to make them more noticeable. There was never any problem - I probably overreacted. I even made a couple of my trellises expandable. They can be raised as the vines start to climb higher. Does the word overkill enter your vocabulary as much as it does mine? lol
I think we should give the birds a little more credit myself
dmpower
dmpower

Female Posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady 6/1/2010, 4:54 pm

dmpower wrote:After placing my trellises, I thought they looked like a bird / bat trap waiting to happen. I put some pieces of straw, string, whatever was close by through some of the squares, just to make them more noticeable. There was never any problem - I probably overreacted. I even made a couple of my trellises expandable. They can be raised as the vines start to climb higher. Does the word overkill enter your vocabulary as much as it does mine? lol
I think we should give the birds a little more credit myself

Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Lol You sound like me! I probably wouldn't have thought of it if that mama bird wasn't flying over my head 10 times an hour looking for worms for her babies.
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Post  chexmix 6/2/2010, 1:40 am

I would be more worried about them getting in the garden than tangled in the netting. The holes on the netting are to big for them to get tangled in. My mom raises birds and you would amazed at how smart they are.

Birds have great eye sight. They don't get tangled in the power lines or in fences. Your trellises look great and those boxes are wonderful on the eyes.
chexmix
chexmix

Female Posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 6/2/2010, 1:48 am

I love those boxes, they're awesome.

We've had quite the variety of birds at our house lately: finches, mourning doves, quail humming birds, and some yellow bird that I only saw a streak of. None of them have had problems with the netting.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  jtwenting 6/2/2010, 3:32 am

When I was a kid we used to make streamers out of tin foil. Cheap, shiny, and effective.
Used to scare the birds away from the young strawberries until they were large enough for the rabbits to feed on Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Lol
jtwenting

Back to top Go down

Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Empty birds in netting

Post  ander217 6/2/2010, 7:40 am

We were having problems with birds eating our cherries so we purchased a bird net from Lowes and threw it over the tree. I happily watched as the cherries ripened under the netting. Then I went to pick the cherries one morning and saw a dead bird - I think it was a wren - dangling from the netting, its head caught in the small holes.

So yes, it does happen. I won't be able to eat a single cherry without thinking of that poor dead wren, and hoping desperately it didn't have a nest of babies somewhere.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady 6/2/2010, 10:34 am

chexmix wrote:I would be more worried about them getting in the garden than tangled in the netting. The holes on the netting are to big for them to get tangled in. My mom raises birds and you would amazed at how smart they are.

Birds have great eye sight. They don't get tangled in the power lines or in fences. Your trellises look great and those boxes are wonderful on the eyes.

I didn't know I should be worried about birds in the garden. Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Icon_eek Great, something else to obsess about. Worried about birds getting tangled in netting 109486 I appreciate the compliments as well!
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady 6/2/2010, 10:35 am

Kabaju42 wrote:I love those boxes, they're awesome.

We've had quite the variety of birds at our house lately: finches, mourning doves, quail humming birds, and some yellow bird that I only saw a streak of. None of them have had problems with the netting.

I'm really glad to hear this from everyone! Do birds fly at night much? That's when I really worry.
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady 6/2/2010, 10:37 am

jtwenting wrote:When I was a kid we used to make streamers out of tin foil. Cheap, shiny, and effective.
Used to scare the birds away from the young strawberries until they were large enough for the rabbits to feed on Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Lol

Hey now, tinfoil! That would be super easy (too lazy to go to store right now for steamers) and cheap too! Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Icon_cheers
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady 6/2/2010, 10:39 am

ander217 wrote:We were having problems with birds eating our cherries so we purchased a bird net from Lowes and threw it over the tree. I happily watched as the cherries ripened under the netting. Then I went to pick the cherries one morning and saw a dead bird - I think it was a wren - dangling from the netting, its head caught in the small holes.

So yes, it does happen. I won't be able to eat a single cherry without thinking of that poor dead wren, and hoping desperately it didn't have a nest of babies somewhere.

Oh how sad. I'm sorry to hear that! Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Icon_cry
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Worried about birds getting tangled in netting Empty Birds in the garden

Post  ander217 6/2/2010, 3:35 pm

[quote="Paintedlady
I didn't know I should be worried about birds in the garden. quote]

It depends on what the birds are doing. If they are swooping down and eating "bad" insects and worms they are very welcome in my garden. If they are pulling up my corn shoots and eating the seed off the bottom, they are most unwelcome!

I set out many feeders in the winter, and I'm sure the birds think my garden is just the summer buffet location. I don't mind sharing as long as they are willing to share with me, too, but they will completely strip my cherry trees if I don't do something about them. However, I won't use the bird netting next year. Maybe the aluminum foil strips will work.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down