Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help! Now I'm worried! Toplef10Help! Now I'm worried! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help! Now I'm worried! I22gcj10Help! Now I'm worried! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help! Now I'm worried! Toplef10Help! Now I'm worried! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help! Now I'm worried! I22gcj10Help! Now I'm worried! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help! Now I'm worried!

5 posters

Go down

Help! Now I'm worried! Empty Help! Now I'm worried!

Post  Bayou Life 4/20/2010, 9:16 pm

Well, everything was going good. All of my plants were nice and healthy, and the majority of the first set of blossoms on my tomatoes set fruit. Then all this within the last couple of days. Some of the second sets of bud clusters on my tomatoes have turned black and just fell off of the vine, most while they were still small. The blossoms that have opened since this problem started have just fallen with no fruit set.

Below are pics of leaves from a tomato, cucumber, bean, and corn. Anyone recognize these symptoms. I've done some research and as far as I can tell it could be anthracnose, early blight, or leaf spot. If it's any of these, then would it wreak havoc on upcoming buds/blossoms like it is doing? Or am I having multiple problems?

All of the pictures below are from four different boxes, and I didn't take any of my peppers, which are seperate from the rest, because they look like a total loss, as well as a canteloupe. I think my eggplants are on the fence, I probably won't know for a couple of days. That complete box might be a total loss.

I sprayed neem today, because apparently it is fungal, but I am really worried about losing my whole crop. Not to mention that I'm about to pull my neighbor over the fence if he tells me I planted too close again (I would love nothing more than to prove that guy wrong!).

Tomato leaf. I tried getting a pic of the stem but couldn't get it close enough. I have some of these same markings, as well as some small black specks. This one is a sweet 100 cherry tomato, but these marks on every single tomato plant in my garden, in three seperate boxes.

Help! Now I'm worried! Tomato2
Help! Now I'm worried! Tomato1

Cucumber: two seperate boxes, it's on every plant.

Help! Now I'm worried! Cuke2
Help! Now I'm worried! Cuke1

Corn: Hasn't affected the whole box yet.
Help! Now I'm worried! Corn2
Help! Now I'm worried! Corn1
Help! Now I'm worried! Corn3

Beans: Two seperate boxes, all plants.
Help! Now I'm worried! Bean2
Help! Now I'm worried! Bean1
Bayou Life
Bayou Life

Male Posts : 47

Back to top Go down

Help! Now I'm worried! Empty Re: Help! Now I'm worried!

Post  choksaw 4/20/2010, 10:05 pm

looks a little bit similar to what im seeing on my plants but yours are much farther along in growth then mine i dont know wahts causing it either im thinking i might have been a little off when i mixed my neem oil with the water and it burned the plants
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Post  Bayou Life 4/20/2010, 10:30 pm

Today is the first I've sprayed anything, besides busting up some aphids that I found last week. We've had quite a bit of dew here recently, and some fog. Yesterday was our first rain in a month, and it routed through those few corn plants since. I visited the LSUag center website to try to identify some of these problems, hence my list above. I'm hoping that my garden is salvageable. My stomach has been flipping since yesterday, mostly because it's too late to start over (except for the corn). I was chomping at the bit today at work, waiting for a chance to get to Lowe's and pick up more neem concentrate.
Bayou Life
Bayou Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Toastie 4/20/2010, 10:39 pm

I am having the same thing on my cucumbers that came from a friends house
So far it is only on those 4 cucumbers, which do appear to be doing very well
Keep us posted on what you find out and how to get rid of it
Toastie

Back to top Go down

Help! Now I'm worried! Empty Re:Help!Now I'm worried!

Post  Jola 4/20/2010, 11:01 pm

It looks like Anthracnose. When I read about your problems and than looked at the pictures, my first thought was: what is that stuff on the top of the soil? Isn't that a cause of disease? If you have that mulch in all boxes it's possible.
Anthracnose is caused by a fungus, as you know, which overwinters in seeds and plant debris, so it is possible that you introduced it to your garden from mulch - probably depending on what kind of mulch you have and from what source. Disease is spread by animals, people, tools, or splashing water. Since it sounds that your problem is serious, I would suggest using chemical control.
Fungicide containing chlorothalonil should be applied every 7 days, or more frequently in humid, warm weather. Of course all badly affected plants should be destroyed.
Good luck!
Jola
Jola

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Help! Now I'm worried! Empty Mulch

Post  Bayou Life 4/21/2010, 12:34 pm

Jola, that's exactly what I was considering in being the culprit. This isn't the first time I used this mulch, so I didn't think I would have problems. I'm pulling it off later today in an attempt to recover. I'm wondering now if it might be constricting the air flow in my soil, hence the problems with the blossoms and buds that I'm having.

One box with peppers, eggplants, basil and canteloupe seems to be affected the worse. The basil and one canteloupe seem not be affected at all,,,,,yet. The others seem to be just beginning, but I have pruned alot of the affected leaves before I sprayed with neem.

I contacted the LSUag center with these pics and they think the corn might be bacterial, so I have to send a sample. This morning I finally got in touch with my parish agent, so I should be getting to the bottom of it soon (hopefully) since he's closer to me than Baton Rouge. After the dose of neem yesterday, the tomatoes, cukes and beans seem to be a little more vibrant. The "spots" that were on the remaining foliage seem to not be spreading. I should be able to tell more towards the end of the today and tomorrow.
Bayou Life
Bayou Life

Back to top Go down

Help! Now I'm worried! Empty Healing up

Post  Bayou Life 4/24/2010, 8:41 am

I sent my pics to the parish extension agent. He confirmed it was fungi, and not bacterial or viral. He gave me a list of chemical fungicides and insecticides. Since I had already sprayed everything down with neem oil, I figured I could wait on the chemicals out of fear of burning everything up. Here's some new pics after the treatment with neem oil. On the beans you could see the affected lower leaves, but it is not spreading anymore, as those spots are the same size as they were when I sprayed the oil.

Help! Now I'm worried! 9e326f2f

On the tomatoes, I had to prune all of the lower branches, because every single leaf was infected.

Help! Now I'm worried! C70f1b4c

And the cukes are looking greener than ever.

Help! Now I'm worried! 7b27366c
Bayou Life
Bayou Life

Back to top Go down

Post  aspiegardner 4/29/2010, 7:58 am

We could have used this info last year. We had this on a number of plants but only used the mel's mix in the boxes.

Hoping for a better year and will know what to use if it happens again.
aspiegardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum