Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Questions about my new tumbler Toplef10Questions about my new tumbler 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Questions about my new tumbler I22gcj10Questions about my new tumbler 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Questions about my new tumbler Toplef10Questions about my new tumbler 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Questions about my new tumbler I22gcj10Questions about my new tumbler 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Questions about my new tumbler

4 posters

Go down

Questions about my new tumbler Empty Questions about my new tumbler

Post  KiwiSFGnewbie 2/23/2023, 9:25 pm

So I got most of the material from my old, inadequate compost bin into the new tumbler earlier this week, and have been turning it 3 times a day since then.  I've been measuring the temp and was hoping to see it heat up but it really hasn't (the max I've seen is 77°F), so I have some questions..... Wink

I apologise in advance for the length of this post, but I really feel quite at sea here; I thought all I had to do was get the material into the tumbler, turn it enough, and it would get cooking, but that doesn't seem to be happening.  Making matters worse, I'm in a hurry for compost; I need to get about 85 gallons of it into my winter storage area before the end of June.

1. I noticed as I was moving the material across that it's already partly decomposed; I could see some avocado skins (and pits, of course -- some of which were sprouting!) but there weren't many pieces of veges in it. (see first photo, below)  I know this is good news, but OTOH the colour isn't dark brown / black which makes me think there is sawdust (which I was using as my main brown in the old bin) which hasn't yet decomposed.  This makes me think that if I were to put it in a garden bed right now it would compete with the plants for nitrogen, right?  If so, it seems I should add some nitrogen and I'm thinking about blood and bone instead of fresh greens which would take time to break down (again, I'm in a hurry here).
  2. Assuming I should add some blood and bone, the next question is in what form.  I have a liquid product called Nitrosol which is NPK 8:3:6 but have hesitated on this because the material felt moist (I think like a wrung-out sponge), so I figured adding moisture was not called for.  However, I wonder if perhaps I'm wrong on the moisture level because there hasn't been any liquid dripping out the bottom of the tumbler???  I was also wondering if I could perhaps put the Nitrosol into the bin undiluted (the usual dilution rate is 1%), so adding the minimum of moisture; after all, we're not worried about it burning plants here!  Or I could go and buy some powdered blood and bone.
  3. I also have a few questions about turning it.  As I said, I'm doing it 3 times a day.  It's pretty hard work, so I count the drum rotations, and I'm doing 5-7 each time.  Is this enough?  Should my sessions be longer?  Should I do more than 3 per day?
  4. I've noticed that whilst the material does often move while I'm turning the drum, it doesn't always, and it actually doesn't fall down inside the drum when it's not turning -- the material is in the same place when I come back for the next session.  Is this a problem?  Does it maybe point to the material being too dry?
  5. I've also noticed that the vents (which aren't very big -- only 1"x2", and 4 per internal section, see second photo) have got compost in them now, which can't be helping to get oxygen into the drum.  I tried to clear the only 2 that are high up enough to get to, but they just got back to the same state after the next turning.  Is this a problem?  If I maybe open the lids each turning session (obviously not while turning!) might this make up for it?
  6. I was also wondering, about the cyclone-damaged leaves which our big tree is still dropping everywhere: do they count as browns?  Or does the fact that the tree clearly hasn't had the time to withdraw all the chlorophyll from them make them greens?

Again, I'm really sorry for all these questions, but I'd be incredibly grateful for any pointers/advice here. Very Happy

Questions about my new tumbler Img_2816

Questions about my new tumbler Img_2817
KiwiSFGnewbie
KiwiSFGnewbie

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Questions about my new tumbler Empty Re: Questions about my new tumbler

Post  OhioGardener 2/24/2023, 8:32 am

KiwiSFGnewbie wrote:So I got most of the material from my old, inadequate compost bin into the new tumbler earlier this week, and have been turning it 3 times a day since then.  I've been measuring the temp and was hoping to see it heat up but it really hasn't (the max I've seen is 77°F), so I have some questions..... Wink

Why are you turning it 3 times a day? When does the compost sit to build heat?  I turn my composters when I add new material, or when it has reached temp around 150F or higher. Otherwise it sits to compost.

OTOH the colour isn't dark brown / black which makes me think there is sawdust (which I was using as my main brown in the old bin) which hasn't yet decomposed.  This makes me think that if I were to put it in a garden bed right now it would compete with the plants for nitrogen, right?  If so, it seems I should add some nitrogen and I'm thinking about blood and bone instead of fresh greens which would take time to break down (again, I'm in a hurry here).

I wouldn't use blood & bone meal - the bone meal will do nothing for composting, and the blood meal is an expensive alternative. If using blood meal, use dry pure blood meal not a blended fertilizer.  A better alternative is something such a free coffee grounds from Starbucks, or Alfalfa Meal.

I also have a few questions about turning it.  As I said, I'm doing it 3 times a day.  It's pretty hard work, so I count the drum rotations, and I'm doing 5-7 each time.  Is this enough?  Should my sessions be longer?  Should I do more than 3 per day?

Too many times.  Once a day maximum, about 4 to 5 rotations.

1. I've noticed that whilst the material does often move while I'm turning the drum, it doesn't always, and it actually doesn't fall down inside the drum when it's not turning -- the material is in the same place when I come back for the next session.  Is this a problem?  Does it maybe point to the material being too dry?
  2. I've also noticed that the vents (which aren't very big -- only 1"x2", and 4 per internal section, see second photo) have got compost in them now, which can't be helping to get oxygen into the drum.  I tried to clear the only 2 that are high up enough to get to, but they just got back to the same state after the next turning.  Is this a problem?  If I maybe open the lids each turning session (obviously not while turning!) might this make up for it?
  3. I was also wondering, about the cyclone-damaged leaves which our big tree is still dropping everywhere: do they count as browns?  Or does the fact that the tree clearly hasn't had the time to withdraw all the chlorophyll from them make them greens?

1. Is it too dry? Test it to find out. Grab a handful of it (wear a glove is your are squishy about handling it) and squeeze it. It should be moist with a drop or two coming out of it. If more liquid than a drop or two, it is too wet. If there is no liquid coming out, it is too dry and needs some moisture added.  (Related to comment above, if you add coffee grounds for nitrogen, it will add moisture.)

2. The vents should open as they go towards the top of the drum, and then will be covered again when on the bottom, correct?  I don't have any experience with that problem, though, since my tumbler has the vents on the end and not on the main bin.

3. They are probably mostly browns.  The C:N ratio of leaves is generally 30-80:1, and I would guess those leaves are on the low end of that ratio.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4532

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/24/2023, 2:05 pm

Wayne has pretty much answered your good questions. The only thing I want to chime in on is don't turn every day. Let the microbes do their job.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  KiwiSFGnewbie 2/24/2023, 8:35 pm

Thank you both so much for your replies, I was feeling a bit silly but I'm so glad I reached out for help Smile

OhioGardener wrote:Why are you turning it 3 times a day? When does the compost sit to build heat?  I turn my composters when I add new material, or when it has reached temp around 150F or higher. Otherwise it sits to compost.

OH!!!  Embarassed   I thought turning it introduced oxygen, and after sitting for months in a pretty airless heap in the old bin I figured I should be doing it lots!  In fact I thought I read somewhere that 5x per day was ideal and was feeling a bit lazy....  Very happy to do it less Smile

I wouldn't use blood & bone meal - the bone meal will do nothing for composting, and the blood meal is an expensive alternative. If using blood meal, use dry pure blood meal not a blended fertilizer.  A better alternative is something such a free coffee grounds from Starbucks, or Alfalfa Meal.
1. Is it too dry? Test it to find out. Grab a handful of it (wear a glove is your are squishy about handling it) and squeeze it. It should be moist with a drop or two coming out of it. If more liquid than a drop or two, it is too wet. If there is no liquid coming out, it is too dry and needs some moisture added.  (Related to comment above, if you add coffee grounds for nitrogen, it will add moisture.)

Oh it's definitely too dry in that case.  I haven't yet done the test, but I'm 99% certain there won't be any drops of liquid coming out.  Oops.......  Will go and talk with the local coffee-in-a-van vendor.

2. The vents should open as they go towards the top of the drum, and then will be covered again when on the bottom, correct?  I don't have any experience with that problem, though, since my tumbler has the vents on the end and not on the main bin.

Hmmm, sounds like a better location for the vents Rolling Eyes   All I know is as they come around during the turning they always have little bits of stuff poking out of them.  Guess I'll put an old knife outside and clear them post-turning each time.

thanks

Oops, one more question.  How often would you measure the temp?
KiwiSFGnewbie
KiwiSFGnewbie

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 2/25/2023, 8:07 am

KiwiSFGnewbie wrote:OH!!!  Embarassed   I thought turning it introduced oxygen, and after sitting for months in a pretty airless heap in the old bin I figured I should be doing it lots!  In fact I thought I read somewhere that 5x per day was ideal and was feeling a bit lazy....  Very happy to do it less Smile

I suspect they meant 5 rotations a day, not rotate 5 times a day.

Hmmm, sounds like a better location for the vents Rolling Eyes   All I know is as they come around during the turning they always have little bits of stuff poking out of them.  Guess I'll put an old knife outside and clear them post-turning each time.

Both the old ComposTumbler I originally had, and the Jora compost tumblers I currently use have the vents on the end so that when the tumbler is parked there is one vent on top and one on the bottom. They never plug because they are on the end and compost falls off of them.  I assumed they make all tumblers this way because it is all I have had.
Questions about my new tumbler Compos12

I check temp periodically to see if it needs attention. If it isn't heating up when it should have, I add more greens. If it is hot I make sure it gets rotated to spread out the microbial activity. If it has been consistently hot, but is cooling down I know that it is about finished and can be moved to the storage bin if the tumbler is needed to start a new batch.  No particular schedule.

Even when it is in the 30's outside, the inside of the tumbler can get very warm.
Questions about my new tumbler Compos13

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  KiwiSFGnewbie 2/25/2023, 6:02 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
KiwiSFGnewbie wrote:I thought I read somewhere that 5x per day was ideal and was feeling a bit lazy....  Very happy to do it less Smile

lol!   Oops... Embarassed

Both the old ComposTumbler I originally had, and the Jora compost tumblers I currently use have the vents on the end so that when the tumbler is parked there is one vent on top and one on the bottom. They never plug because they are on the end and compost falls off of them.  I assumed they make all tumblers this way because it is all I have had.

It does seem a better design, but perhaps once my mixture is wet enough it'll clear them better and anyway I can always manually clear with the old knife.  Thanks for the photo, it's good to know mine aren't terribly tiny.  Seems like so long as the ones on top are clear there'll be about the same area of vent holes in mine as in yours, since it has twice as many.

I check temp periodically to see if it needs attention. If it isn't heating up when it should have, I add more greens. If it is hot I make sure it gets rotated to spread out the microbial activity. If it has been consistently hot, but is cooling down I know that it is about finished and can be moved to the storage bin if the tumbler is needed to start a new batch.  No particular schedule.

Even when it is in the 30's outside, the inside of the tumbler can get very warm.

WOW!!!  Holy cow, you're not kidding.  Of course, the Jora is insulated whereas mine isn't, but then we don't get down to freezing here (ever -- let alone in summer/autumn).  Thanks for the pointers: something to live by  Very Happy
KiwiSFGnewbie
KiwiSFGnewbie

Back to top Go down

Questions about my new tumbler Empty Reotemp Thermometer Question

Post  Jjean59 3/8/2023, 10:30 am

OhioGardener wrote:
KiwiSFGnewbie wrote:OH!!!  Embarassed   I thought turning it introduced oxygen, and after sitting for months in a pretty airless heap in the old bin I figured I should be doing it lots!  In fact I thought I read somewhere that 5x per day was ideal and was feeling a bit lazy....  Very happy to do it less Smile

Questions about my new tumbler Compos12

Can this thermometer also be used to check soil temps in the garden?
Jjean59
Jjean59

Female Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/8/2023, 4:03 pm

Jjean59 wrote:

Can this thermometer also be used to check soil temps in the garden?

Not effectively.  It is much better to use a soil thermometer with a 6" probe instead of a compost thermometer with an 18" probe.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Jjean59 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down