Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello From the Pacific Northwest  Toplef10Hello From the Pacific Northwest  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello From the Pacific Northwest  I22gcj10Hello From the Pacific Northwest  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello From the Pacific Northwest  Toplef10Hello From the Pacific Northwest  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello From the Pacific Northwest  I22gcj10Hello From the Pacific Northwest  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello From the Pacific Northwest

3 posters

Go down

Hello From the Pacific Northwest  Empty Hello From the Pacific Northwest

Post  tappingmom 2/9/2023, 11:10 am

Hello!

I'm Tammy and live in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge, right smack between the states of Washington and Oregon.  I am a bit embarrassed to say that, at 63-years-old, I have never planted a garden.  But with my husband's support, I am ready to learn and make it happen!!  

First, read Mel's All New Square Foot Gardening and decided to grow my produce via his methods.  I then purchased 6 Birdies Tall Garden Beds last year, filling the bottoms with stumps and local nursery soil.  Our winter rains have tamped down the volume, leaving me with about 12 inches to fill with Mel's Mix.

As a newbie, I have so many questions about the 1/3 Compost part of the mix.  I am scouring this forum to try to have my questions answered, but still have many.  So I'll start with this and let you fine, intelligent folks educate me...

E.B. Stone Organics makes a "composted chicken manure."
Here's the link: https://www.ebstone.org/product/chicken-manure/
It's listed under fertilizers, but it is described as a composted product, so I am assuming that it would be considered a compost.

I wrote the manufacturer and found out that it is made from flock bedding (wood shavings) and the actual chicken manure.  They said, "the chicken manure goes through a heated 'kill step' to kill any bacteria present.  This allows, per CDFA rules, for it to be registered as organic."

So my question is...Does the 'kill step' render the resulting compost sterile?  Would it kill all of the beneficial organisms that are needed?

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience.
tappingmom
tappingmom

Back to top Go down

Hello From the Pacific Northwest  Empty Re: Hello From the Pacific Northwest

Post  OhioGardener 2/9/2023, 12:21 pm

tappingmom wrote:Hello!

I'm Tammy and live in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge, right smack between the states of Washington and Oregon. 

Welcome to the forums from Ohio!  Glad to have you here. You will find a lot of very friendly and helpful members here.

First, read Mel's All New Square Foot Gardening and decided to grow my produce via his methods.  I then purchased 6 Birdies Tall Garden Beds last year, filling the bottoms with stumps and local nursery soil.  Our winter rains have tamped down the volume, leaving me with about 12 inches to fill with Mel's Mix.

You will not want to be adding 12" of Mel's Mix to the beds, that will be very expensive.  Instead, partially fill the beds to within 7" of the top with something like topsoil, and then add 6" of MM on top of that. That will leave 1" of space to add mulch, etc.

It's listed under fertilizers, but it is described as a composted product, so I am assuming that it would be considered a compost.

No, composted manure is manure and not compost. You can use it in your mix, but limit it about 10% of the total volume.

I wrote the manufacturer and found out that it is made from flock bedding (wood shavings) and the actual chicken manure.  They said, "the chicken manure goes through a heated 'kill step' to kill any bacteria present.  This allows, per CDFA rules, for it to be registered as organic."

So my question is...Does the 'kill step' render the resulting compost sterile?  Would it kill all of the beneficial organisms that are needed?

No, it is not sterile.  It simply means that the compost heated to 160ºF, which killed all of the pathogens.  But, it is still good composted manure.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4538

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  tappingmom 2/9/2023, 12:31 pm

"You will not want to be adding 12" of Mel's Mix to the beds, that will be very expensive."

That is great news!  I did read that only 6" was needed, but my overachieving nature thought more depth would be better.  Both my wallet and husband will be happy that I've cut my cost outlay in half.

"No, composted manure is manure and not compost. You can use it in your mix, but limit it about 10% of the total volume."

Well, there you go.  I just learned my second thing!  Back to my hunt for the ever-elusive chicken compost...

Thank you, OhioGardener!!
tappingmom
tappingmom

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/9/2023, 9:50 pm

tappingmom wrote:Hello!

I'm Tammy and live in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge, right smack between the states of Washington and Oregon.  I am a bit embarrassed to say that, at 63-years-old, I have never planted a garden.  But with my husband's support, I am ready to learn and make it happen!!
  Tmom, welcome to the Forum.  glad you\'re here I was 64 when I started my garden, my SFG garden.

Filling the lower depths with organic material such as stumps will mean the whole level of the bed will drop over time as the microbes break down that material.  I'm assuming that the nursery soil also contained some organic material.  The fact that you used stumps instead of twigs will buy you some time.  The SFG Foundation recommends inert material such as sand or top soil as a bottom fill.  If you leave the material in the bottoms of the beds, just be prepared to one day, one year, to have to add more Mel's Mix.  Maybe add a layer of weed fabric topped with 4-5" of washed sand or top soil (not garden soil) at this time, and then top with 6-7" of Mel's Mix.  You will be adding and mixing in more Blended compost each season you garden and you only want to add it to the MM layer to bring it back up to the original height.

As a newbie, I have so many questions about the 1/3 Compost part of the mix.  I am scouring this forum to try to have my questions answered, but still have many.  So I'll start with this and let you fine, intelligent folks educate me...
We all started as Newbies to the SFG method.

If it is made from wood shavings and chicken manure, then it is a compost.

The "kill step" is more than likely the hot composting method.  As the mounds of material start breaking down, the mesophilic microbes (68-104*F) go to spore and the thermophilic microbes (104-160*F) take over.  As the composting process starts to wind down and the pile cools, the mesophilic bacteria come back. "Teaming with Microbes" by Lowenfels and Lewis.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down