Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from the Pacific Northwest Toplef10Hello from the Pacific Northwest 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from the Pacific Northwest I22gcj10Hello from the Pacific Northwest 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from the Pacific Northwest Toplef10Hello from the Pacific Northwest 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from the Pacific Northwest I22gcj10Hello from the Pacific Northwest 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising 5/9/2024, 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from the Pacific Northwest

2 posters

Go down

Hello from the Pacific Northwest Empty Hello from the Pacific Northwest

Post  curio 2/22/2012, 9:33 am

Hi folks
My husband and I live about a mile from the south end of Puget Sound in Washington state... in a river valley/delta that has been used for farming for years.
I've been gardening for about 30 years (veggies and flowers), and this winter found the book on SFG. We already have raised beds that are 4' wide, and either 5 or 10' long, and one that is 2' wide and 8' long. We also have a 2'x8' raised bed inside an unheated greenhouse for our tomatoes.
We're wanting to increase our production and the growing season, so will be converting our beds to the SFG method (one already converted). The "soil" in the existing beds is a mixture of compost and perlite, although not much perlite, so can easily add vermiculite to this mix with the peat moss.
To extend our growing season, we are going to be including cloches over the beds for the cool/cold months of the year, which will be removed with the frames left in place during our short very warm part of the year.
I'm very excited at the possibility of sharing ideas and answers to questions with other avid gardeners.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Hello from the Pacific Northwest Empty Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest

Post  Lavender Debs 2/22/2012, 9:40 am

What a great start you have! Welcome to the board! You are on a river delta? Golly I hope you are not going to be forced to find high ground this week.

Have you got your peas in yet? I know it is a little early but there are a few nut-cases around here that have done that already. Can hardly wait to read about your garden!

Debs.....singing (the scarecrow song) in the rain...."If I only had a brain"
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Hello from the Pacific Northwest Empty peas in the ground?

Post  curio 2/22/2012, 9:50 am

We are in a river delta, but fortunately not one where the river floods very often, and are far enough from the river that we've only been affected by the horrible flood in the mid 90's.

No, we haven't planted our peas yet. The ground has been way too soggy to work anything other than cleaning up, mixing Mel's mix, building the hoop frame.
However... our garlic and shallots are in the ground. We've got onions, leeks and cole crops (including kale, brocolli, brussels sprouts, cabbage and cauliflower started under lights to go out as soon as I can complete the change-over where I want to plant them.
We're actually still harvesting brussels sprouts from last year... probably enough left for two meals of stir fried sprouts with garlic. Still have a bit of garlic left also, so life is good.
I plan to incorporate the information from "Seattle Tilth" organic gardening/farming into the SFG, which I'm hoping will allow us to grow 75% or more of our vegetables for the two of us.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 2/22/2012, 10:18 am

I like your winter garden Curio! I am still harvesting leeks, kale, some purple peacock broccoli that is covered with growing broccoli like buds. I think I need to get some compost on those. There is also some scattered chard and parsley.

From fall planted seed there are fava beans coming up, garlic and shallots. Yey! From this year I have a tray of shivering sprouts (no light system so they go outside most days) to set out mid March. There is a man from Yelm who posts on the board whose board name is boffer. He has a system of table top gardens with plastic covers and heat. I am amazed at everything that will grow for him with just a little bit of heat. Somewhere between totally dependent on the whims of Maritime weather and an electric garden you should be able to get your goal of 75% of your produce! Keep posting girl, there are a bunch of us who want to cheer while you get dirty.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down