Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur Toplef10Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur I22gcj10Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur Toplef10Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur I22gcj10Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur

2 posters

Go down

Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur Empty Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur

Post  Guest 12/31/2022, 10:00 pm

First Happy New Year to all! Hope you’re all safe and started 2023 well.

Thanks to the crazy weather we’re having here on in NSW, Australia, vegetable growing is completely out of whack. Cucumbers hardly happening, zucchini fruit dropping before maturing, not fun. Anyways, I’m not the only one struggling, I know that for sure. The question:
I have built up my raised garden beds with the so called Hugelkultur and I’m thinking there might be a nice culture of mushrooms living underneath my carefully created top soil. I’m getting some interesting fungi growing, from bright yellow to orange (the orange used in the top banner of this forum) to dirty white/beige coloured stuff (in pic). I also got some of those ‘normal’ mushrooms, the ones with stems but I’m not too concerned about those. It’s the creeping coloured ones (some interfering with my lettuce) that seem to be more of an issue. I’m not going to eat that lettuce plant covered in it but would the other ones be safe for consumption?
Stupid me put the hose on the affected lettuce, not noticing that the fungus was dried out already, with the water causing a cloud of brown dust going up in the air. Honestly. Could kick myself but that wouldn’t stop the spores drifting along so I just held my breath and watched the cloud disperse into the air. Lesson learned.
I’m considering topping up the beds with some good soil and then plant a cover crop and forget about it for fall and winter and start again next spring or is that too overly cautious?
Your input is would as always be much appreciated!
Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur 4be00210
Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur Cc1be710
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur Empty Re: Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur

Post  sanderson 1/3/2023, 6:30 pm

" Dog vomit" slimes. Not harmful. Here is one article I quickly found. Cut back on your watering so the surface isn't so wet. Wink

https://laidbackgardener.blog/2020/07/11/dog-vomit-slime-mold-a-surprising-garden-visitor/

On the topic of Hugelkulture, it isn't really compatible with SFG because the lower material breaks down and the whole layer of Mel's Mix slowly drops down in the bed. That means a) You have to keep topping of with more MM, or b) remove the MM and fill with inert sand or topsoil, then replace the MM.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur Empty Thanks!

Post  Guest 1/3/2023, 6:55 pm

Very useful link, thank you Sanderson!
Re: hugelkultur: you’re absolutely right, not really compatible with SFG. I came across that before deciding on the SFG. On top of the branches and tree stumps, etc., there are straw bales and then there’s the proper mix. Nice in theory, not working in practice. I’m watching my beds collaps overnight and there’s no end to the amount of topping up and I’m starting to regret the hugelkultur slightly. Still considering to give it a season to let it rest, after following your advice and fill with sand, watch it sink and fill some more and then replace the MM.
Living and learning!
Thanks for replying to my post!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur Empty Re: Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur

Post  OhioGardener 1/4/2023, 8:07 am

I recently saw a video of a raised bed that the bottom was filled with wood chips and then topped with a soil mix.  The wood chips decomposed so rapidly that the raised bed imploded from the weight on top of the decomposed chips.  Lesson learned there...

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4550

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/4/2023, 4:08 pm

I shared with the SFG Foundation. They recommend inert bottom fill like clean sand or topsoil.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

anajinn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Varieties of mushrooms in beds built with Hugelkultur Empty Thanks!

Post  Guest 1/5/2023, 12:48 am

Thank you both for your posts! Some sand and topsoil it will be.
Luckily my beds are a size below needing the braces so at least I’m not facing that problem, the beds imploding because of the pressure. Other than that, nothing but positives on the birdie beds, very happy I bought them. Especially with all the rain we’ve had. Everything I had in ground completely drowned but the beds held up quite well.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down