Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  Toplef10Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  I22gcj10Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  Toplef10Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  I22gcj10Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix

+6
stevenfstein
sanderson
markqz
yolos
OhioGardener
Fishtell
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  Empty Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix

Post  Fishtell 3/19/2021, 8:41 pm

Tried to find the answer to this is previous discussions but could not:   I'm finding in my search for a variety of compost bags out there that some of the compost has listed the other ingredients in their bags  such as Peat Moss and Vermiculite.    Would purchasing Compost bags that show Peat Moss or Vermiculite in the bag in small amounts mess up the secrete formula ?   Or should I trie to avoid these choice and stick with Compost that does not have them as listed ingredients.  

Alan from Asheville N.C. area
Fishtell
Fishtell

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  Empty Re: Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix

Post  OhioGardener 3/19/2021, 8:53 pm

I have not seen bags of compost with Vermiculite, but many of them contain peat moss since is less expensive for them to mix with compost.  You can still use bags of compost with peat, but you need to decrease the amount of peat that you add to the mixture to compensate for the amount already in the compost bags.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4519

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Triciasgarden and sanderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  Empty Re: Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix

Post  yolos 3/19/2021, 9:26 pm

I agree with Ohio Gardener.  I have never seen a bag of compost that contains vermiculite.  Are you sure it was compost and not some  kind of soil conditioner.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtell 3/20/2021, 12:32 am

Hi guys, 
I know for sure everything I was looking at was compost... but not sure which I saw in the compost ... Peat Moss or vermiculite.    I do recall the % of Peat Moss if it was Peat Moss was small so I can't imagine if it was say 2 or 3 % how I would deduct that from the  1/3 Peat Moss amount.  

But I think from your responses  it allows me to use common sense and really ignore any amounts of Peat Moss put in compost or just try and not purchase any Compost that shows Peat Moss in it.  

Don't you agree?  

Thanks, 

Alan
Fishtell
Fishtell

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/20/2021, 8:20 am

Fishtell wrote:But I think from your responses  it allows me to use common sense and really ignore any amounts of Peat Moss put in compost or just try and not purchase any Compost that shows Peat Moss in it. 

Common sense should always prevail. Do what you feel comfortable with.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 3/20/2021, 9:57 am

It's not compost, but amleo sells this mix of moss, perlite, and vermiculite:

Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  Lm3apm

Maddeningly, they don't tell you the proportions of any of the ingredients, but they do tell you it's electrical conductivity, I guess in case you're growing electric  Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  26a1 plants!  Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  26a1
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Triciasgarden likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/20/2021, 10:15 am

markqz wrote:It's not compost, but amleo sells this mix of moss, perlite, and vermiculite:

Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  Lm3apm

Maddeningly, they don't tell you the proportions of any of the ingredients, but they do tell you it's electrical conductivity, I guess in case you're growing electric  Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  26a1 plants!  Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  26a1

Since the Lambert site says it is 80% - 90% peat moss, it is probably more practical and economical to just buy 100% peat moss.

Ingredients:

• Canadian sphagnum peat moss (80 - 90%)
  • Horticultural perlite
  • Horticultural vermiculite
  • Calcitic limestone
  • Dolomitic limestone
  • Wetting agent
  • Starter charge

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/21/2021, 2:43 am

I would buy pure composts, and straight coarse vermiculite and peat moss. That way you control the results. Mel's Mix made properly does NOT need any other additives.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

donnainzone5 and Triciasgarden like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  stevenfstein 3/21/2021, 1:57 pm

Has anyone tried Sustane Concentrated Compost? I have used before when I just had dirt and rocks and it seemed to work pretty well. I removed all the old dirt and replaced with 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite and 1/3 composted cow manure. Did not read the directions completely so I'm adding Coast of Maine Lobster Compost, Raised Bed Mix and a few bags of their Earthworm Castings. Thought I would add the Sustane for good measure.  Comments appreciated

Concentrated Compost (sustane.com)

Best... Steve
stevenfstein
stevenfstein

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/21/2021, 6:09 pm

Sustane Concentrated Compost is sold as a soil amendment, rather than as a compost.  At over $20 for an 18# bag, in general it is probably not a good investment.  I have never seen anywhere that lists what is in their "concentrate" - they only state that it is 50% composted turkey with other "organic fertilizers".

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  PVPind 3/22/2021, 10:30 am

markqz wrote:It's not compost, but amleo sells this mix of moss, perlite, and vermiculite:

Here's why EC matters. EC matters
PVPind
PVPind

Male Posts : 165

http://www.pvpind.com

Back to top Go down

Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  Empty Is this Product a compost or fertilizer ??

Post  Fishtell 3/24/2021, 1:30 am

Should I include in my 5 different types of compost for my MEL’S MIX  Pete's Cow Manure and Pete’s Kickin Chicken? 

What is confusing me is that they are listed as “Fertilizers”.    Are these products a hybrid of Fertilizers and compost ?    Or is Daddy Pete’s using the word Fertilizers and compost interchangeably and calling Compost fertilizers ?  

Help me here, 

alan 

Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  5adfc7d4-6593-459d-bd4f-8b90a563bdb6
Fishtell
Fishtell

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/24/2021, 7:56 am

It looks like they are both composted manures, which means they are composts.  All manures count as one source of compost.  Try to limit manure composts to 20-25% of the total compost blend. Pick one of them.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/24/2021, 8:47 am

What Sanderson said.  Daddy Pete's Cow Manure says the ingredients in the bag is "Organic Composted Cow Manure". That indicates it does not include peat moss or wood chips, which is good.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  Empty Going "Nuts" trying to find 3-5 types of Compost

Post  Fishtell 3/24/2021, 10:57 am

Hi all, 
I've spent weeks trying to find 3-5 different types of bagged compost.   I've been to 5 local garden supply stores and looked on line for hours.   All I can find are: 
   *  Lobster 
   *  Cow Manure 
   *  Chicken Manure 
   *  Mixture of Horse  Cow, Food waste & Yard waste 

Are the Cow, Chicken and Horse manures all considered one type of compost ?  

Is the Lobster compost a 2nd type ?    Who sells the  3, 4th and 5th types?  

Can anyone suggest (5) different types of commercial "bagged" compost that I can purchase?  Or even 3 or 4.   I'm going nuts trying to find compost in bags !!!!  

Help

Alan
Fishtell
Fishtell

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/24/2021, 11:11 am

This tread is very good to look for purchased bagged compost.
compost - Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts (forumotion.com)
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/24/2021, 11:13 am

Fishtell wrote:Are the Cow, Chicken and Horse manures all considered one type of compost ? 

In general, yes.  However, the one listed as "Mixture of Horse  Cow, Food waste & Yard waste" has other ingredients that could be used. 

Don't get bogged down by only looking for commercial bagged compost. Think outside the bag! There are other local sources for compost that can be used as well. Do a google search for "compost asheville nc", and you will find bulk suppliers for compost. Also, visit the farmer's market down Brevard Road and talk with some of the organic gardeners there to see what sources they use for compost (some of them may only make their own). There are some excellent sources for local high quality bulk compost.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtell 3/24/2021, 12:43 pm

Hi all, 
I just went down my current list of all the compost choices and 9 of the 10 bags are Manure and (1)  is Coast of Maine's Lobster.  So are you saying I really only have 2 picks so far?   If so does anyone have any suggestions on what compost companies I should contact  to get the 3rd , 4th or 5th bag of compost?   

I have to purchase between 11 and 18 bags depending on how many choices I find and how large the bags are..   I'm figuring at this point that each bag will be 1 cu. ft.  

Alan
Fishtell
Fishtell

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtell 3/24/2021, 12:49 pm

Hey Ohio, 
It seems like you know the area Smile)   your comment came in as I was typing my last comment....  I'm going to look into your suggestions....  my soil delivery guy is coming up drive with last load of topsoil... total 16 cu. yds for bottom 16" of my beds ... will get back to this forum later... 

really appreciate the help you all are giving. 

alan
Fishtell
Fishtell

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/25/2021, 3:18 am

Fishtell wrote:Hi all, 
I just went down my current list of all the compost choices and 9 of the 10 bags are Manure and (1)  is Coast of Maine's Lobster.  So are you saying I really only have 2 picks so far?   If so does anyone have any suggestions on what compost companies I should contact  to get the 3rd , 4th or 5th bag of compost?   

I have to purchase between 11 and 18 bags depending on how many choices I find and how large the bags are..   I'm figuring at this point that each bag will be 1 cu. ft.  

Alan
Try mushroom compost. It seems that is fairly easy to locate, especially "specialty" and hydroponic stores.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Trying to find different composts for the 1/3 Compost part of New Mel's Mix  Empty Compostitis

Post  Fishtell 3/25/2021, 6:55 pm

Hi all, 
I've read almost all the posts on Composts for Mel's Mix.    I spent months and hours initially thinking that the term "5 different types of Compost"  would allow me to include in those types  Cow, Chicken , Horse and donkey manure + Lobster, Mushroom, Yard waste, Food waste,  etc  etc etc.  

Now I've learned from this Forum that I should choose only one manure type from the bunch.  

Regarding the McGeary Organics "Chicken Manure"  photo below

*  I'm wondering why the packaging does not have the wording "Compost" ?  
  *  What is purpose of putting on label the  "3-2-2 + 8%"   
  *  Can this "Chicken Manure" be a candidate for at least one of composts?  

I've read the Square Foot gardening book and wish there was more discussion in the book on how to go about choosing the compost for Mel's Mix.    There is a lot more that might be said.. i.e.  there should be a book titled,  "How to Avoid Compostitis syndrome"  

Alan Smile
Fishtell
Fishtell

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtell 3/26/2021, 10:49 am

Ok, now to get serious ...Being totally new to gardening I'm getting a little frustrated in this final stretch of filling up our beds and am grateful that there are so many knowledgeable people on this forum to help.  I guess in a year or so I'll be one of those helpers.

Current status:   

We have 16 cu ft of topsoil delivered , ready to be moved with a neighbor's front loader into the beds' bottom 16".  

For the Mel's Mix's  top 6"......  I've purchased the 53 cu. ft of Peat Moss and 53 cu ft of Vermiculite.   I thought I was close to choosing all the Compost selections until I was told to "CHOOSE ONE" of the composts made up of Manure... 9 of the 10 choices I had lined up were some form of Manure.  So now I'm down to: 
         1.  Lobster Compost 
         2.  Manure Compost 
         3 , 4, 5 ??     

I've been shying away from the compost yards because they can't guarantee what is in their piles that get delivered to them and they all want to sell me by the cu. yd  (27 cu ft)  

Help and thanks in advance , 

Alan Smile   

P.S.... Oh just remembered my neighbor  who has a horse and a donkey has volunteered to give me all the Horse and donkey manure I want?   Is this something I should consider ?
Fishtell
Fishtell

Cmonster90 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/26/2021, 11:46 am

Mushroom compost can be found just about anywhere.  I have no idea how nutritious it is for plants.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/26/2021, 6:34 pm

Alan, I merged your 3 threads on compost into one thread.

You can use different manure-sourced composts but the total volume of all of the manures has to be limited to 20-25% of the total volume of all composts together.

Mushroom compost - check out hydroponic or "specialty crop" stores.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtell 3/26/2021, 8:00 pm

Good Evening Sanderson and Yolos, 
Thanks for the feedback and comments. 

Re: Mushrooms:  my wife is highly allergic to Mushrooms.  She does snot want to take any chances. 

Re: Typo on amount of Soil I had delivered ... its 16 Cu. Yds   (not cu. ft.): those 16 cu yds will fill up the bottom 16" of our 24" high  beds.    (Mel's will be 6" & 2" for mulch if needed)  

Re: Amount of manure composts:   I'm slow with the math but will study it after we have dinner 

Thanks guys 

Alan from Asheville.
Fishtell
Fishtell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next