Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
mega-sized SFG? Toplef10mega-sized SFG? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

mega-sized SFG? I22gcj10mega-sized SFG? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
mega-sized SFG? Toplef10mega-sized SFG? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

mega-sized SFG? I22gcj10mega-sized SFG? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

mega-sized SFG?

5 posters

Go down

mega-sized SFG? Empty mega-sized SFG?

Post  dalepres 1/16/2021, 1:26 am

I'm wondering if anyone has seen or done any large-scale SFG.  All my life I dreamed of having a 1/4 acre garden providing all the vegetables my family of five could eat including canning for winter and spring.  Now, by the time I actually  have that much room for gardening available, and time to work with it, the kids are grown and I'm close to retirement and don't really need that much even for row gardening.  Besides, the few acres we have are so rocky that raised beds are the only real option.

But, even so, I can't help wonder if anyone's done a SFG with many hundreds or even thousands of square feet of SFG.  

I read the thread on how many square feet do you have.  OhioGardener's comments on going from 1800 square feet of row garden to getting more produce from 240 square feet of SFG was interesting but, still, I'd love to see pictures of a thousand square foot, or larger, SFG.
dalepres
dalepres

Back to top Go down

mega-sized SFG? Empty Re: mega-sized SFG?

Post  OhioGardener 1/16/2021, 7:48 am

Interesting thoughts, but I can't imagine caring for that much raised bed area. The amount of compost alone to refresh the beds each year would be unavailable to me.  Since the post you referenced, I have expanded my raised beds a little bit to just over 300 sq ft, and it is unlikely I'll add any more.  There are just 2 of us now, and we produce all of our vegetables for each year, with more that we give away to neighbors and the food bank, so there is no need to grow more than we do.

That being said, I grew up in a very large family of 11, and we grew all of our own food. We not only grew all of the vegetables and fruit which was preserved for winter food, but we also had animals that provided milk, eggs, and meat for the entire year. The animals also provided the fertilizer for the gardens, which covered about 1/2 acre.  To be quite honest, it was a good life but I would not want to relive it.

Meanwhile, there was an interesting video on a youtube channel I follow about a young person turning her 100 square meter yard into a food forest that you might find interesting. It isn't SFG, but the process is doable.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4524

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

dalepres likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/21/2021, 12:56 am

dalepres wrote:I'm wondering if anyone has seen or done any large-scale SFG.  All my life I dreamed of having a 1/4 acre garden providing all the vegetables my family of five could eat including canning for winter and spring.  Now, by the time I actually  have that much room for gardening available, and time to work with it, the kids are grown and I'm close to retirement and don't really need that much even for row gardening.  Besides, the few acres we have are so rocky that raised beds are the only real option.

But, even so, I can't help wonder if anyone's done a SFG with many hundreds or even thousands of square feet of SFG.  

I read the thread on how many square feet do you have.  OhioGardener's comments on going from 1800 square feet of row garden to getting more produce from 240 square feet of SFG was interesting but, still, I'd love to see pictures of a thousand square foot, or larger, SFG.
one of the churches here have a community garden for the member and citizen of denton, tx and a farm where they grow food for community. This year they have built about 50-60 raised beds and that just the start. they have many volunteers helping them. The fall crops did well. I'm not sure if they are using the old or new square foot garden method.
has55
has55

dalepres likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/21/2021, 3:10 pm

I remember one member having a beautiful 2,000 sq ft, with flowers along with produce. I think it was for 4 families. Another member, Scruffyfeathers, had a large acreage. Here are 10 threads of his adventures. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/st/scruffyfeathers

As OG, mentioned, it would take a lot of compost for a 1/4 acre worth of SFG beds. I think SFG beds would be great for much of the produce, with some sort of row garden or Back to Eden area for things like corn, sunflowers, and such.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

dalepres likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/21/2021, 6:24 pm

Good suggestion on the Back to Eden Garden, Sanderson.  I had hoped to double the size of my BTE area this winter, but I haven't been able to get enough wood chips yet. Hopefully I'll get some chips soon, and get it done. I'll take some before and after pictures once I get to work on it.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

dalepres likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dalepres 1/21/2021, 9:08 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

Raised beds are the only option for where I live in Oklahoma.  Out of nearly 3 acres, the only 2500 square feet that is tillable is almost all clay with really poor drainage.  Of course 2500 square feet, intensively  gardened, might be all we need but we're going with the raised beds and SFG.  Our first bed, 4x12, is in place.  I hurried it in last fall with locally made garden mix, leaving it 6 inches shallow (it's two 2x12 deep) leaving space to add Mel's Mix, so I could get my garlic in.  

I have the supplies, including for Mel's Mix, to top that one off and do three more that size before the end of winter for my early plantings.

So that already gets me to 192 square feet, which seems larger than most from the size thread.  I'm hardly expert enough to have the biggest garden here  Very Happy so that's partly what's driving my questions.

My plans are tentatively for at least a dozen such beds this year for 576 square feet.  In the space we have planned, we were considering at least another dozen next year and still have room for another dozen beyond that.  

I'm probably going to retire later this year or perhaps next year and I'm building out all the infrastructure, etc., for  gardens, chickens, pigs, bees, etc. in preparation.  Planning over 1000 square feet, perhaps more, you all must think I'm nuts - and I might well be.  affraid
dalepres
dalepres

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/21/2021, 11:40 pm

Dale, I currently have 133 in SFG beds, 1'x50' in BTE, and 14 equivalents in pots, 5-gallon buckets and storage totes. I'm glad you are limiting to 500+ sq ft. General advice is to start small, on any farming project. The first year is a huge learning curve.

You can use beds for the BTE gardens. Ramial (green limbs with leaves) chips can be obtained from tree trimmers, often time delivered free. Cover the desired area with cardboard or newspapers, add a good layer of compost and top with a thick layer of ramial wood chips.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

dalepres likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/22/2021, 8:04 am

dalepres wrote:Raised beds are the only option for where I live in Oklahoma.  Out of nearly 3 acres, the only 2500 square feet that is tillable is almost all clay with really poor drainage. 

This is somewhat a misconception.  I understand that you prefer to have raised beds, as do I, but clay with poor drainage can be turned into rich topsoil with BTE.  Here is southern Ohio we have nothing but clay with poor drainage, unless you happen to live in a river bottom area - which I don't. Farmers all tile their fields to pull the water out of the soil so they can attempt to plant early enough to get good crops. It is very difficult to garden in the clay because it wet and gummy in the spring, and hard as a rock in the summer. Root crops simply can't expand in it.

Five years ago I started a BTE area in what used to be an in-ground garden. I put down cardboard, and then covered it with 8" to 10" of wood chips and let it set.  A year later when it was time for spring planting I raked down through the chips and found 2" to 3" of dark black soil from the decomposing wood chips, and hundreds of earthworms working the soil. I transplanted some squash plants into the "soil" and they grew like none I had ever grown before. After 3 years I had to add more wood chips since the original ones had decomposed down to the point soil was showing through the chips, and then this past fall I added more chips to refresh the bed.  One of my projects for this winter was to expand the size of the BTE garden because it has been so successful, but so far I have not been able to get enough wood chips to begin the project.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

dalepres likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/22/2021, 4:47 pm

Yes, cardboard and wood chips alone is fine as long as one waits to plant for a year or so, when the lower chips are well on their way to breaking down.

This post has veered off topic. Please, no more BTE discussion.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

donnainzone5 and dalepres like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dalepres 1/23/2021, 3:55 pm

But, then, BTE is a form of raised beds, too, isn't it?   Just not walled in.  I watched a recent video from Charles Dowding where he removed the board frames from some of his own beds.  In any case, you're both right, Sanderson and OG, there are ways to build up. 

One reason for building up so high is my wife is in a wheelchair and the higher beds will let her do some gardening - but that doesn't mean all the beds have to be 2 feet high.

Part of our retirement plan is canning our vegetables - we do it now with store bought so we'd like to do our own instead.  The bulk beets, beans, corn, etc., could be BTE or Dowding-style no-dig, and use SFG beds for fresh consumption and flowers.

Edit: Whoops - I just now caught the off-topic comment.  Ok.  No more BTE.  Smile

Last edited by dalepres on 1/23/2021, 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : no more BTE)
dalepres
dalepres

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/23/2021, 4:25 pm

dalepres wrote:Part of our retirement plan is canning our vegetables - we do it now with store bought so we'd like to do our own instead.  The bulk beets, beans, corn, etc., could be BTE or Dowding-style no-dig, and use SFG beds for fresh consumption and flowers.

We grow enough vegetables in the raised beds for canning or freezing to get us through the winter until the next summer's vegetables start coming in. Fortunately, we never have to buy vegetables, and we give away a lot of excess that we grow. Our raised beds are all No Dig, and they do just fine by nothing more than topping off with fresh compost spring and fall.  It is amazing how much food can be grown in 300 sq ft of raised beds with rich soil.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson and dalepres like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dalepres 1/23/2021, 7:19 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
dalepres wrote:Part of our retirement plan is canning our vegetables - we do it now with store bought so we'd like to do our own instead.  The bulk beets, beans, corn, etc., could be BTE or Dowding-style no-dig, and use SFG beds for fresh consumption and flowers.

We grow enough vegetables in the raised beds for canning or freezing to get us through the winter until the next summer's vegetables start coming in. Fortunately, we never have to buy vegetables, and we give away a lot of excess that we grow. Our raised beds are all No Dig, and they do just fine by nothing more than topping off with fresh compost spring and fall.  It is amazing how much food can be grown in 300 sq ft of raised beds with rich soil.

That's why I raised this topic.  I'm stuck on 1972 Storey and Mother Earth News along with old daydreams of a big Troy-Bilt tiller and 100 foot long rows.  Modern intensive gardening practices are awesome - if I can make them work for me.  Time will tell.
dalepres
dalepres

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/23/2021, 7:44 pm

dalepres wrote:That's why I raised this topic.  I'm stuck on 1972 Storey and Mother Earth News along with old daydreams of a big Troy-Bilt tiller and 100 foot long rows.  Modern intensive gardening practices are awesome - if I can make them work for me.  Time will tell.

I have one of those old 8 hp Troy-Bilt tillers sitting in the garage. Bought it in 1976. Hasn't been used for years, ever since I went to No Dig.  Smile

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

dalepres likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dalepres 1/23/2021, 9:28 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
dalepres wrote:That's why I raised this topic.  I'm stuck on 1972 Storey and Mother Earth News along with old daydreams of a big Troy-Bilt tiller and 100 foot long rows.  Modern intensive gardening practices are awesome - if I can make them work for me.  Time will tell.

I have one of those old 8 hp Troy-Bilt tillers sitting in the garage. Bought it in 1976. Hasn't been used for years, ever since I went to No Dig.  Smile
I have a  20-year-old Craftsman rear-tine that hasn't been used for about 18 of those 20.  I hope to never use it again.
dalepres
dalepres

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/24/2021, 3:39 am

dalepres wrote:

One reason for building up so high is my wife is in a wheelchair and the higher beds will let her do some gardening - but that doesn't mean all the beds have to be 2 feet high.

Part of our retirement plan is canning our vegetables - we do it now with store bought so we'd like to do our own instead.  The bulk beets, beans, corn, etc., could be BTE or Dowding-style no-dig, and use SFG beds for fresh consumption and flowers.

Dale, I did a quick search for handicap accessibility.  This was the only thread with a photo.  Table top beds (2'x8' would be perfect for wheelchair accessibility if the isles were concrete slab, pavers, etc.  The distance between the beds should be at least 3' or what ever it takes to turn around.  Hopefully after company leaves, I can find some more resources.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3692-my-sf-garden-on-wheels

All of my beds are table tops of various designs and support system. Your wife's wheel chair height would determine the clearance underneath. However, 2' wide beds would allow a decent reach from each side without underneath clearance. With sufficient clearance, 3' wide beds would be easy to wheel up to.

My beds:
mega-sized SFG? Garden85

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

dalepres likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dalepres 1/24/2021, 10:40 pm

Thanks, Sanderson.  I'm going to try a table-top raised bed for a kitchen/herb garden closer to the back door.  Inspired by your beautiful garden, I'm going to do a variation on the bed in the picture below as a table-top.  I'm going to put in a three foot wide entry path with two foot wide beds on the sides.  Closer to the back side bed, I'll narrow the side beds to one foot wide, making the path five food wide allowing wheelchair turning diameter.  I'll post pictures as I go.

mega-sized SFG? Rb-olgb-0808_1
dalepres
dalepres

walshevak and sanderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/1/2021, 1:28 pm

sanderson wrote:Yes, cardboard and wood chips alone is fine as long as one waits to plant for a year or so, when the lower chips are well on their way to breaking down.

This post has veered off topic.  Please, no more BTE discussion.

There is a BTE thread, just use the Search feature at the top left hand corner. I am going there tight now as that is something I want to do when I get back to England.
along with SFG on a larger scale than I have up to date.  In addition looking into a Frost Garden.

I will not be doing it alone, but will have help . Cant wait to get there. Very frustrating this Pandemic.  My brother's daughter and her husband, will start moving in to the new place next week, my brother and his wife some time later this month.  When they are settled in I will give them my ideas of what I need to be ready for when I get over there so hopefully I  will have a flying start.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/11/2021, 3:30 am

KJ, The BTE thread is not accessible for new members.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/11/2021, 8:29 am

sanderson wrote:KJ,  The BTE thread is not accessible for new members.
Sorry sanderson; when does one become and old member? Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/11/2021, 5:04 pm

rofl I could have worded that better!

A long time member, who has posted a minimum number of posts or replies, depending on the subject.  100, 500, or 1,000 entries depending on the subject. The purpose was to maintain this site as a support group for SF Gardeners.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 2/11/2021, 5:14 pm

rock on    Whew!  I thought you were referring to us almost 80-year-olds.  LOL

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/11/2021, 5:28 pm

rofl

I'm 72. mega-sized SFG? 998388915

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/11/2021, 5:33 pm

I appreciate being warned not to stray off topic  Embarassed   Usually I am aware of it. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down