Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans? Toplef10Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans? I22gcj10Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans? Toplef10Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans? I22gcj10Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans?

+4
plantoid
yolos
Scorpio Rising
OhioGardener
8 posters

Go down

Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans? Empty Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans?

Post  OhioGardener 7/24/2020, 5:45 pm

I have never heard of picking green beans this way, and wondering if anyone else does it. From the True Leaf Market page for on-line ordering of Blue Lake Bush Beans:

"Because green beans are annual, you can simply pull the root from the ground when it’s time to pick them."   (https://www.trueleafmarket.com/products/bean-bush-blue-lake-bush-274?variant=38922254792)

I have never heard of anyone pulling the bean plants. I personally pick the green beans many times, until the plant is totally exhausted and stops producing. The more they are picked, the more they produce. If the plants are pulled to harvest them, that means there is only one harvest per planting of beans. This same sentence appears on their on-line order page for the Blue Lake Pole Beans, which is odd since pole beans produce until frost kills them.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4524

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans? Empty Re: Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans?

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/24/2020, 6:38 pm

No, I have never done this...I do like you; harvest many times.  Even bush beans keep producing!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/24/2020, 10:29 pm

No, but I have thought about doing this for some bush beans that have been planted so close together that I couldn't harvest them easily.  I always overplant my beans so it would not affect me much to just pull the plant.  It is hot and sweat is dripping down my forehead at this time of year as I lean into a four foot wide bed trying to find the hidden beans and looking to make sure a snake is not hiding down there somewhere.  BUT, I actually have never done it but I wanted to many times.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/28/2020, 6:35 pm

If you uproot the plant you can't get beans for the rest of their season . What I do is make a lot of regular picking of the beans & pea , new flowers break out so long as you don't pinch or cut out the growing tips
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/29/2020, 3:46 am

Never heard of pulling up beans, not until the plants are exhausted.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/29/2020, 8:25 am

sanderson wrote:Never heard of pulling up beans, not until the plants are exhausted.

Me neither, that is why I was surprised to see this company recommending that as the proper way to harvest the beans.  Last evening I did the 6th picking of the bush beans.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 7/29/2020, 3:30 pm

After the plants stop producing, i cut them down to the ground and solarize the soil for a few weeks then shake the nodules free from the roots and till them back into the mix.The nodules contain beneficial bacteria that help the beans release nitrogen back into the soil. The inoculant will help the next crop get started. This year was a total flop for my Blue Lake bush beans. I thought that I could get away with watering less if I planted them close together. They were all competing for sunlight and produced a lot less pods, and they were like vegetable jerky because I hadn't been able to keep them wet enough to withstand an unusually hot spell. I think I'm going to go back to pole beans and try for better luck with a fall planting.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/29/2020, 5:48 pm

At the end of the season, after the bean plants are exhausted, I just cut the plants off at soil level and leave them to decompose - the microbes love the roots.

Sorry to hear that your Blue Lake Beans haven't done well. I plant mine 9 per square, and this year they have grown bigger and produced more beans than ever before. We've picked them six times so far, and they are still blooming. The beans are delicious right out of the garden, and I love snacking on them while working the gardens.

I have second bed of the Blue Lake Beans planted - 12 squares of 9 per square - and they are just now starting to bloom. So, we'll soon have a new batch of beans to start picking.  I have another bunch of Blue Lake Pole Beans, but they don't produce enough beans at a time to have enough to freeze or can. The bush beans produce a batch like this every 4 or 5 days.

Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans? Green_30

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/30/2020, 5:36 pm

Ugh, I hate it when my hypothesis is wrong and then affects my yield!  

My Dragon Tongue have produced nicely, but I now have enough to make a “mess” of beans and taters!  

Cukes going well.  Need to see when I posted last so I don’t repeat myself!  Finally a break from the horrible heat!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/1/2020, 5:19 am

Yardslave! happy hi

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/1/2020, 5:24 am

With the 100+ degree weather, all of my beans have been cut down, with only the roots remaining. Aphids and spider mites did them in. I froze (blanche and chill first) so many servings of beans this summer that I will have to remember to eat some every week this fall and winter. It's hard to see empty beds but in 2 months, the garlic and winter crops will be planted and another cycle begins.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/1/2020, 9:18 am

Our first bed of Blue Lake Bush Beans is about done, we are still picking from them but they have quit blooming.  But, the second bed which was planted about a month after the first one are now about ready for the first picking. That bed should produce beans up until the frost kills them, and the bed gets planted with garlic.  The pole beans are doing great and will produce beans up until frost.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 8/1/2020, 12:24 pm

Yardslave wrote:After the plants stop producing, i cut them down to the ground and solarize the soil for a few weeks then shake the nodules free from the roots and till them back into the mix.The nodules contain beneficial bacteria that help the beans release nitrogen back into the soil. The inoculant will help the next crop get started. This year was a total flop for my Blue Lake bush beans. I thought that I could get away with watering less if I planted them close together. They were all competing for sunlight and produced a lot less pods, and they were like vegetable jerky because I hadn't been able to keep them wet enough to withstand an unusually hot spell. I think I'm going to go back to pole beans and try for better luck with a fall planting.
How do you solarize the soil?  I'm about ready to say done with bush beans, I've gotten 3 pickings out of the very crowded 18 plants in one square. I'm the only one in the family that eats them.
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/1/2020, 1:19 pm

Emily49 wrote:
Yardslave wrote: I'm about ready to say done with bush beans, I've gotten 3 pickings out of the very crowded 18 plants in one square. I'm the only one in the family that eats them.

That is too dense for the plants to be able to develop and produce beans. They should be planted 9 per square. I have one bed with 18 squares of them at 9 per square, and another bed with 12 squares of them at 9 per square. All of them are producing heavily.  But, if you are the only one that eats them, you may only want one or two squares with 9 per square.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/1/2020, 5:19 pm

Agree with OG; spacing for bush beans is 9/SF

I have never solarized the MM.  Why do you think that’s necessary, Emily49?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/1/2020, 7:50 pm

Emily49 wrote:. . . How do you solarize the soil?  I'm about ready to say done with bush beans, I've gotten 3 pickings out of the very crowded 18 plants in one square. I'm the only one in the family that eats them.

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74145.html

Did you mean 8 plants per square? For bush it is 9 per square. For pole it is 8 per square.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/2/2020, 9:00 am

Thanks for the article, sanderson.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans? Empty Solarizing

Post  RainyG 8/5/2020, 11:17 am

This is a really helpful article - I found some of the research on which it is based a few years ago. Still trying to get a certain person to read it; he just took the car to get it serviced and the AC fixed (now that our early heat wave of 90 F + is over and it is in the 50s this morning  . . .) so he will be sitting there for a while, so I sent it to him . . .

Why solarize? Anything exposed to the air can get fungal spores deposited on it.  Any plants can get fungi and bacteria on them, as well as insects.  Some are good, some are not. The goal is to knock back the disease causing organisms and allow the beneficials to do their jobs without undue competition. When starting a new garden or after solarization of beds that have had problems, beneficial microorganisms can be added with a product such as Espoma's Biotone. Arbico Organics carries quite a few different soil inoculants such as EM-1, TerraGrow, Earth Alive. Check them out. 

It doesn't always matter that you have taken excellent care of your gardens & fields. Bad things can blow in, or come in with insects or birds. The best we can do is make our growing areas as healthy as possible.
RainyG
RainyG

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/5/2020, 8:45 pm

I get that, RainyG.  I have a problem right now on my south side...as careful as you are, Mother Nature rules.  

I just never have done it, so was interested in the info!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

RainyG likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down